Class of 2020 - F Jyare Davis (DE) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/15/24) | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 F Jyare Davis (DE) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/15/24)

Maliq never put the ball on the floor. He didn't have a shot. He wasn't a threat on O to score if he was outside of 10 feet and because he didn't have a handle, he wasn't a threat to take it to the rack.
This part is true, but he did so much for us in other areas that it more than made up for those deficiencies, both on offense and defense. Won't join in the pile on too much because I am a strong Maliq Brown hater at this point.

I don't know what SU games you've been watching.
All of them since about 1969.
Please show me a clip of Maliq taking his defender off the bounce. Or a clip of him hitting a shot coming off a screen. I've looked and can't see any.
He is a nice player that is a liability on offense.

I'm bitter as well but..

200w.gif

Please show me a clip of Maliq taking his defender off the bounce. Or a clip of him hitting a shot coming off a screen. I've looked and can't see any.

You don’t know what the word liability means.

Maliq’s offensive game especially his outside shot was the weakest part of his game yet his Offensive Win Shares and OBPM was somehow best in the team.

Reason? He couldn’t be more efficient. Watch the pick and roll with him vs any other player on the team last year especially Benny who would wander the last 3 years. Maliq knew exactly where to cut and where to pass and when to finish. If Judah passed more to him, his numbers would have been even better

What you are saying if equivalent of watching this current Mavs team and saying Lively or Gafford is a liability offensively.

I hope and pray Davis is as efficient on offense as Maliq

Anyways, back to Jayre. He is going to be huge. Especially if Bell is off. Maliq is gone. No point lamenting. Jayre will produce. Furthermore for those worried about the loss of Maliq's passing skills (which was an issue because our PG hated to pass), don't worry because Lampkin is a gifted passer too. With Carlos, Jayre, and Lampkin (and obviously Freeman and Westry) we will be substantially better

Last edited:
You don’t know what the word liability means.

Maliq’s offensive game especially his outside shot was the weakest part of his game yet his Offensive Win Shares and OBPM was somehow best in the team.

Reason? He couldn’t be more efficient. Watch the pick and roll with him vs any other player on the team last year especially Benny who would wander the last 3 years. Maliq knew exactly where to cut and where to pass and when to finish. If Judah passed more to him, his numbers would have been even better

What you are saying if equivalent of watching this current Mavs team and saying Lively or Gafford is a liability offensively.

I hope and pray Davis is as efficient on offense as Maliq

Other than all that, Brown was the model of a "liability on offense."

At least, according to Mrs. Lincoln.

Well, I think it comes down to one thing: Jyare Davis wanted to play for Syracuse next year, and Maliq Brown didn’t. It’s not like we pushed him out the door. He decided to bolt, for whatever reasons, and that’s too bad.

I’m not going to cry about a player we don’t have. I’m looking forward to seeing the ones we do, and excited to see Jyare suit up and play in Orange! I think he’s going to be a good one for us.

Well, I think it comes down to one thing: Jyare Davis wanted to play for Syracuse next year, and Maliq Brown didn’t. It’s not like we pushed him out the door. He decided to bolt, for whatever reasons, and that’s too bad.

I’m not going to cry about a player we don’t have. I’m looking forward to seeing the one we do, and excited to see Jyare suit up and play in Orange! I think he’s going to be a good one for us.

Who’s crying? The poster said something silly and was checked on it. Let’s speak in truths even when guys leave. Davis could be a solid player for the team next year. But reality is he’s here to backup Freeman and Bell. Anything more than playing a solid 20 mins means that Freeman isn’t a good as we hoped, Bell didn’t get better, or one is injured.

The thing is, kcsu isn't moronic.

But he's sure picking an odd hill to die on. About 99% of his points on Maliq Brown seem rationalized -- of the variety that if you repeat it often enough, hopefully it becomes "true."

Who’s crying? The poster said something silly and was checked on it. Let’s speak in truths even when guys leave. Davis could be a solid player for the team next year. But reality is he’s here to backup Freeman and Bell. Anything more than playing a solid 20 mins means that Freeman isn’t a good as we hoped, Bell didn’t get better, or one is injured.
Never implied you were crying. Just said I’m not going to. What would Maliq’s role have been on this team next year? He wasn’t going to start over Lamp or Freeman, and he was pretty clear with the coaches that he didn’t want to play center. Would he be happy coming off the bench? Are people pissed that Freeman would have started over him? What could Autry have done to keep him on the team besides benching Freeman or dropping more NIL? I loved Maliq, but he apparently didn’t like the hand he was dealt. So he moved on. I hope we dunk on him and his Dookie pals next year. A lot.

Maliq is one of the best passing big men we've ever had here.
You forget DC and Billy, they were both great passers, and could do a lot of other things. Put either of those 2 on last year's team and the are a shue in for the tourney.
Malig was a nice role player on a good team, not a star.

Or we play 7-8+meaning we are offensively and defensively proficient. That is the hope

You forget DC and Billy, they were both great passers, and could do a lot of other things. Put either of those 2 on last year's team and the are a shue in for the tourney.
Maliq Brown, not as good as Derrick Coleman or Billy Owens - don’t think you’ll get much push back

Maliq never put the ball on the floor. He didn't have a shot. He wasn't a threat on O to score if he was outside of 10 feet and because he didn't have a handle, he wasn't a threat to take it to the rack. I'm not confusing him with anyone else. He was and is a good defensive player and rebounder at the 4 spot. He did ok at the 5 for us until he had to play against physical players and then he was bullied. I like Maliq and wish that he had stayed but he was such a liability on O that we just couldn't afford to have him in a starting forward position next season.

That doesn't make him a "black hole". A black hole is a player who, when he gets the ball, never gives it to a teammate. Maliq was a fine passer and demonstrated that skill often. SU ran the offense through many times, just as they did with Marek.

The thing is, kcsu isn't moronic.

But he's sure picking an odd hill to die on. About 99% of his points on Maliq Brown seem rationalized -- of the variety that if you repeat it often enough, hopefully it becomes "true."

He made some valid points but he used a phrase he doesn't seem to know the definition of and that set people off.

I didn't say he was a star. I agree that he's a "nice role player on a good team" because he's one of the best passing big men we've had, as well as a good defensive player in space, (which neither of our centers next year will be).

I agree with his limitations, but he never really tried to do things he wasn’t capable of.
He was a net positive. He is a great complimentary piece on a loaded team like Duke. He can’t be a main guy on a championship team. There is nothing wrong with that. Draymond could never be the guy, but he is a great role guy, and a multiple champion.

I agree with his limitations, but he never really tried to do things he wasn’t capable of.
He was a net positive. He is a great complimentary piece on a loaded team like Duke. He can’t be a main guy on a championship team. There is nothing wrong with that. Draymond could never be the guy, but he is a great role guy, and a multiple champion.
Agree. The problem is a lot of people were talking as if he was a star on a fair team. He knows his limitations, and plays within himself.

I personally think Brown's buried himself on the bench behind a bunch of lottery picks, and will never play meaningful minutes at Duke.

But everything else you said take made a lot of sense.

I personally think Brown's buried himself on the bench behind a bunch of lottery picks, and will never play meaningful minutes at Duke.

But everything else you said take made a lot of sense.

I'd take that bet.

He'll be an essential cog, on a top 10 team.

He's so good, our dipshiz fanbase doesn't even realize what he's capable of, or how historically efficient on offense he is. And they mistake playing within himself as "can't do certain things."