Class of 2021 - SG Lucas Taylor (NC) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (6/4/24) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 SG Lucas Taylor (NC) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (6/4/24)

Why do you assume we’re “failing to close” like we have some sort of inside track. Guys choose schools for a lot of reasons. We’re not such a big time power now that we should assume we automatically h any sort of edge. Again, with our starters basically set, limited nil money and a recent history of missing the NCAAs, what should set us apart so that we’re ever in position to close?

What does "closing" mean to you?
The moving-up-a-level guys have largely spurned us - the Harvard kid, a Philly kid, Leffew and a couple others at guard. What are they doing that is so over-achieving right now? A guy our board experts was saying was going to announce "at any moment" then took 2 more recruiting trips after we hired his coach, and we signed Carlos rather than just sit around waiting. So, that's ok, good save, from a roster perspective.

Who do you think was a good signing? We're talking about guys in the 100-200 range among those in the portal. If we aspire to be a Top 40 team again, don't we need to at least GET those guys, and not have several appear to slip away at the last minute?

I mean, that how it has looked to me, and to many others.
What are you seeing right now?
How is this roster looking to you?
Is this the final group of players, do you think?
How good do you think this group is right now?

The moving-up-a-level guys have largely spurned us - the Harvard kid, a Philly kid, Leffew and a couple others at guard. What are they doing that is so over-achieving right now? A guy our board experts was saying was going to announce "at any moment" then took 2 more recruiting trips after we hired his coach, and we signed Carlos rather than just sit around waiting. So, that's ok, good save, from a roster perspective.

Who do you think was a good signing? We're talking about guys in the 100-200 range among those in the portal. If we aspire to be a Top 40 team again, don't we need to at least GET those guys, and not have several appear to slip away at the last minute?

The “Harvard kid” Mack wanted more than we were willing to pay and he has 3 years left. He didn’t spurn us, we chose to look elsewhere.

The “Philly Kid” never actually became available. Could be considered a failure to convince him to make himself available I guess.

I would say we failed to close with Leffew.

I’m not sure which other guys you are talking about.

I was very happy with the portal early on grabbing Eddie, Carlos and looking like we were bringing in Leffew. I’m not as excited as I was.

The “Harvard kid” Mack wanted more than we were willing to pay and he has 3 years left. He didn’t spurn us, we chose to look elsewhere.

The “Philly Kid” never actually became available. Could be considered a failure to convince him to make himself available I guess.

I would say we failed to close with Leffew.

I’m not sure which other guys you are talking about.

I was very happy with the portal early on grabbing Eddie, Carlos and looking like we were bringing in Leffew. I’m not as excited as I was.

So here’s an interesting nugget.

This kid is the same size as Leffew, albeit 20 lbs heavier. His jr year #s are very similar to Leffews jr year numbers at MSM. Both wings - shooters who can slash some who also have the ability to pass the rock. Leffew likes the step back mid range - Lucas likes the floater. Lucas obviously a better pedigree and has played better competition - of course not a PG but just thought I’d throw that out there. Leffew had modestly better BPR numbers but it’s tough given both played on teams with losing records.

Lucas Taylor. Lucas Taylor. Lucas Taylor. Lucas Taylor. Lucas Taylor. Lucas Taylor.

Not NIL.
Not closing.
Not the Harvard kid.
Not word definitions.

First, last, and final warning. Thread locked so everyone gets to read this before they go OT again and get thread-banned.

As I noted before his profile reminds me a lot of Leffew ( the wing version of Leffew). If we can reel him in this would be a very good addition to me.
Not sure that he's as "good" as Leffew.

Obviously, their games are different, so not a similar type of skills.

But I liked Leffew's skill set more.

Not sure that he's as "good" as Leffew.

Obviously, their games are different, so not a similar type of skills.

But I liked Leffew's skill set more.

Agreed - my point was there are some similarities between Leffew as a Jr and this kid (a Jr now). Leffew made a huge jump in his sr year to elevate him to being a coveted guy in the portal and a major target for us. Leffew showed good enough to be a high major player last year with his performance so there is potential here with Taylor for certain especially given he would be a depth piece.

Who said anything about overachieving? The guys we signed were all in the 100-200 range I believe. Again, our starting lineup is set, we don’t have a large amount of nil and we aren’t the perennial top 25 we used to be. Guys may choose to go other places for more nil or more playing time. If they’re offered more money or definite time that we can’t match, how is that a failure to close. You can only close when you have someone on the verge of acceptance, not just someone you want. Again, we’re not Kentucky or Duke.

Too many posters here seem to be living in the past, when we were an NCAA tournament fixture. Our rep with kids isn’t what it used to be. Just brcause we’re interested in someone doesn’t mean we automatically have an inside track.

Who said anything about overachieving? The guys we signed were all in the 100-200 range I believe. Again, our starting lineup is set, we don’t have a large amount of nil and we aren’t the perennial top 25 we used to be. Guys may choose to go other places for more nil or more playing time. If they’re offered more money or definite time that we can’t match, how is that a failure to close. You can only close when you have someone on the verge of acceptance, not just someone you want. Again, we’re not Kentucky or Duke.

Too many posters here seem to be living in the past, when we were an NCAA tournament fixture. Our rep with kids isn’t what it used to be. Just brcause we’re interested in someone doesn’t mean we automatically have an inside track.

Also doesn’t mean we don’t have a roster or the staff that prevents us from getting there faster than some think. We just don’t have recent evidence to lean on that gives us confidence to lean that way

This guy’s portal highlights look good yet he’s ranked in the 500s among transfers?! What am I missing? That’s quite a disconnect. Does he have lice?

No, thanks.

His initial portal offer/interest list.

Georgia State transfer Lucas Taylor has received interest from the following programs, he tells
@ThePortalReport:

George Mason
Arizona State
Santa Clara
St. John’s
George Washington
Oregon State
New Mexico
UTSA
ETSU
St. Louis

If those are the teams we're battling with for players... yeah.

No, thanks.

His initial portal offer/interest list.

Georgia State transfer Lucas Taylor has received interest from the following programs, he tells
@ThePortalReport:

George Mason
Arizona State
Santa Clara
St. John’s
George Washington
Oregon State
New Mexico
UTSA
ETSU
St. Louis

If those are the teams we're battling with for players... yeah.

He’s a depth piece not a starter…

Appreciate the run down. I think the staff is looking for that kind of player to come off the bench. He’s what 6’5-6’6? Can he handle the ball? Because if so it really makes sense from our point of view. A guy who can come in and just score the ball in bunches, that can play the 1 in a pinch and the wing. I don’t hate it.
Don't remember how tall he is but pretty good handle. He played the 1 a bunch when the starter had to sit

He’s a depth piece not a starter…
Even as a depth piece, I don't think he's going to add much. I'd rather have a niche type player like the kid from Yale. Knows his role. This kid is coming from a mid major program, not very good, and used to playing a lot of minutes. Film is less than impressive. Meh.

I’d love for us to be more liberal with banning posters from threads that get off topic, especially when just asked to stay on topic... Please ban me if it means getting back on topic.
text thor GIF

Even as a depth piece, I don't think he's going to add much. I'd rather have a niche type player like the kid from Yale. Knows his role. This kid is coming from a mid major program, not very good, and used to playing a lot of minutes. Film is less than impressive. Meh.

He basically would step in front of Moore and serve the same role and push Moore to not playing. He gives you shooting and basically nothing else even if he is very good at it. His defensive BPR was bad on a winning team… Taylor wasn’t great either but it’s clear that overall team performance and records skew the BPR quite a bit so a negative BPR on either side of the ball for a winning team is rough sledding.

So here’s an interesting nugget.

This kid is the same size as Leffew, albeit 20 lbs heavier. His jr year #s are very similar to Leffews jr year numbers at MSM. Both wings - shooters who can slash some who also have the ability to pass the rock. Leffew likes the step back mid range - Lucas likes the floater. Lucas obviously a better pedigree and has played better competition - of course not a PG but just thought I’d throw that out there. Leffew had modestly better BPR numbers but it’s tough given both played on teams with losing records.
The not a PG part is kind of a big deal.

This kid is coming from a mid major, but you want the kid from Yale.

He basically would step in front of Moore and serve the same role and push Moore to not playing. He gives you shooting and basically nothing else even if he is very good at it. His defensive BPR was bad on a winning team… Taylor wasn’t great either but it’s clear that overall team performance and records skew the BPR quite a bit so a negative BPR on either side of the ball for a winning team is rough sledding.
Not a good defender? Well that’s on brand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom