Class of 2018 - SG Luther Muhammad (NJ) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Luther Muhammad (NJ)

We should be at as many of their games right now as humanly possible. Don't need 4 people to be allowed on the recruiting trail in order to have 1 or 2 guys with a presence letting Quinerly, Muhammad and King know they are huge priorities.
Sanctions, some peeps keep saying around here as to why the staff can't get out and hustle.
C0Acp0IVEAAoWBw.gif

Unfortunately I believe that is JB's ego speaking. He's made his career off that zone, and yes, when played right, with the right personnel, it's a change and catches plenty of teams off guard. There is a reason that not many teams play strictly zone. Plain and simple, if you don't do it right it gets really ugly, which is what we are seeing now. I can guarantee though, that even bad man to man with this group might be better than the "zone" we have thrown out there in quite a few of these games. He's so stuck in his ways and has had such great success with the zone that he refuses to deviate from that.

I never thought I would say it, because he single handedly put this program on the map, but I think we need a fresh look. I think the worst decision he made was to announce so far ahead when he was done. I guess I just always thought he'd go like Bo Ryan and just surprise everyone, that seems more his style!
Pitt plays man.

Finally a kid with a pulse that shows some excitement and passion for success/scoring.

I don't care if he said he's not a zone dude. I want him! He just doesn't know he's a syracuse guy yet.

Wonder when our staff plans to camp out at Hudson Catholic?

It's crazy that they aren't doing more. I guess if all 4 can't go it means that we shouldn't even bother sending one.

You would think after the disaster with perimeter targets in the 2017 class they would be in overdrive and have learned a lesson.

It's crazy that they aren't doing more. I guess if all 4 can't go it means that we shouldn't even bother sending one.

You would think after the disaster with perimeter targets in the 2017 class they would be in overdrive and have learned a lesson.

I think we have an offer(maybe more) that hasn't made the board yet. Kind of surprised it hasn't, but it seems some recruiting info is getting quiet internally.

He's telling every recruit that. Best thing about the potential Hop era is that the 100% zone D will become no more. Zone will still be a big part of our D, but the players better be ready to lock some dudes down one on one in the future. Hopefully that will help us land a few top 15 guys in the future. 100% zone has killed us in losing out on the top tier players due to the negative recruiting about it. Personally I always felt if you're good enough for the NBA then you'll get there regardless of what D we play, but I understand the other side of the debate. Apparently Calipari was hammering home the fact that he would prepare Quade quicker for the NBA by playing man than him being an undersize player in the zone. Plus the zone has made us make some ridiculous decisions when recruiting strictly for it. Turning down guys like Monte Morris and Jalen Brunson because of their lack of length is something that has hurt us at this point when looking at our current guard depth.
Francis03 and RF2044 how does this picture make you feel on a scale of 1-10? ;)

Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 1.39.22 PM.png

These are the type of guards we need. Kids that can dominate off the dribble and score at will. This kid can do it all. Enough with the Frank Howard types. Gimme guards that are already offensively skilled and ready to go.

And another...so much recruiting action going on lately...its crazy that cuse hasn't been mentioned much (besides jb at his boys game)

Cuse was showing interest.
Plus- Luther likes our O.
Negative- Luther is not a zone fan.
No offer to date. The Johnnies have been pushing hard on this one.

This past weekend was EYBL debut and he looked good. He has a real swagger to his game. Gets after it on D (man-to-man he locks dudes down) and can score from all over. He'd be a great fit at the top of the zone on one end and dropping treys on the other end.

I like his prep work. 3 hours of nonstop shooting...

Last edited:
I know you know this Jord, but with Zags as the source of info, you just aren't going to get any positive comment about SU. Always consider the source.