Class of 2020 - SG/SF Alan Griffin (NY / Illinois) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 SG/SF Alan Griffin (NY / Illinois) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Want this kid bad. Want him at the 2 instead of the 3 though. Yes, it would cut into jimmys minutes but it would help our defense so much having him at the top of the zone instead of undersized at the wing.
Doubt this kid goes anywhere for less than 30mpg

I believe in 2nd chances but it can't ignored...

That kid on Purdue fell awkwardly into Griffin, and almost took his kneeS out in the process. I don’t support what Griffin did. It was wrong. But Griffin clearly did not stomp on the guy, the guy almost took him out on the play and who knows what history those two have with each other?

It was not a good thing to do. He should have gotten a technical or at least a foul and a strong warning. That said, I don’t think he did it with an intent to injury the Purdue kid. It was more of a ‘don’t mess with me’ kind of a thing. It isn’t enough for me to say pass if he decides he wants to come here.

I think he and his younger brother are both wing players. If Alan went to Duke, he and AJ would be playing head to head for playing time. That would really be a problem if Alan has to sit out next year, and will have to go head to head with AJ for playing time for 2 years. It is hard for any player to get playing time at Duke. What are the odds two brothers would both get serious minutes at the same time?

I can almost guarantee that Alan is very aware of Elijah and what Elijah did while he was at Syracuse. They must have played against each other a number of times in HS, AAU, etc. I will bet Syracuse is telling him if he comes he will be put in the same role Elijah played his season. For someone like Alan, that has to sound really enticing. Especially given that Elijah is leaving and there is no one around who appears ready and well suited to step in and fill the role Elijah played on this team.

Lastly, of the schools Goodman listed, Syracuse is the only one close by. That has to help. If the coach can make this happen, we get a nice player who should be ready to contribute at SG and SF, two areas where depth is a concern. If he could be eligible to play immediately, it could be a game changer for the team.

If he comes here he is playing the 3. JB is going to do what he wants to do so may as well put that to bed.

That kid on Purdue fell awkwardly into Griffin, and almost took his kneeS out in the process. I don’t support what Griffin did. It was wrong. But Griffin clearly did not stomp on the guy, the guy almost took him out on the play and who knows what history those two have with each other?

It was not a good thing to do. He should have gotten a technical or at least a foul and a strong warning. That said, I don’t think he did it with an intent to injury the Purdue kid. It was more of a ‘don’t mess with me’ kind of a thing. It isn’t enough for me to say pass if he decides he wants to come here.

I think he and his younger brother are both wing players. If Alan went to Duke, he and AJ would be playing head to head for playing time. That would really be a problem if Alan has to sit out next year, and will have to go head to head with AJ for playing time for 2 years. It is hard for any player to get playing time at Duke. What are the odds two brothers would both get serious minutes at the same time?

I can almost guarantee that Alan is very aware of Elijah and what Elijah did while he was at Syracuse. They must have played against each other a number of times in HS, AAU, etc. I will bet Syracuse is telling him if he comes he will be put in the same role Elijah played his season. For someone like Alan, that has to sound really enticing. Especially given that Elijah is leaving and there is no one around who appears ready and well suited to step in and fill the role Elijah played on this team.

Lastly, of the schools Goodman listed, Syracuse is the only one close by. That has to help. If the coach can make this happen, we get a nice player who should be ready to contribute at SG and SF, two areas where depth is a concern. If he could be eligible to play immediately, it could be a game changer for the team.

He received 2 techs vs Missouri and was thrown out in 8 mins.

The stepping on (wasn't a stomp) cost him 2 games, he was suspended by the Big ten.

That said we should take him without question he has talent and we have a need that he fits.

Hopefully he has learned his lesson.

He comes from a career basketball family. There’s zero reason not to take him despite his past issues. This makes a lot of sense on both sides if you look at the situation.

Curious why you think he'd be undersized to play the wing? He's listed as 6'5" 195 lbs. Elijah is 6'6" 215. As others have mentioned, he appears to be a really solid rebounder for his position, averaging 4.5 RPG and 11 per 40. I'm assuming he'd have to sit a year. Add another 5-10 lbs and I don't see the issue.

"Listed" at 6'5". That's why. He looks slight and it'd be tough having a 6'5" kid, with our interior weaknesses, not get pounded on the glass/defensively.

Eli is bigger and looks a lot more athletic. And don't we want a better defense and back line?

Hopefully, he can successfully play the 3 and wants to come here. I just think he's a 2 and we all know what that means...

So you're saying he bumps Quincy.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Quincy played much at the 3 at all this past season, and unless he dramatically improves his outside shooting and handle, he shouldn't play much at the 3 next year either.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Quincy played much at the 3 at all this past season, and unless he dramatically improves his outside shooting and handle, he shouldn't play much at the 3 next year either.
Doesn't matter. We only have two forwards.

Can’t bump him if he hasn’t won the spot yet. Way I see it, if you weren’t a starter this year then you don’t have a starting spot to “bump”. It’s open competition.
That's not how Boeheim do.

Don't lie to yourself.

That's not how Boeheim do.

Don't lie to yourself.

He brought in Gillon when Frank was “anointed” the starter. Quincy hasn’t clinched the spot so why can’t Griffin come in and start? I hope Quincy earns it and averages 15 and 8 but nothing is set in stone. And btw it’s not like I said Griffin is gonna come in and bump Buddy. It’s not too different from Joe taking over from Jalen considering the spot wasn’t set in stone for Jalen just like it’s not set in stone for Quincy.

Status
Not open for further replies.