Class of 2018 - SG/SF Buddy Boeheim SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG/SF Buddy Boeheim SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Devo def could dunk and did it in games a couple of times. Typically went for the lefty off the glass tho

I wonder it buddy remembers that about devo?

i am not insulting #3 in any way shape or form. But would you say he had explosiveness for a major d1 athlete at a blue blood school?

Do the math. The math says he must be at least high 30's vertical. Yeah, that's explosive in any league. 40+ is all world. Just because the guy played grounded doesn't mean he was slow and un-explosive. Watch the elevation on his jumper. What defines explosiveness to you?

Do the math. The math says he must be at least high 30's vertical. Yeah, that's explosive in any league. 40+ is all world. Just because the guy played grounded doesn't mean he was slow and un-explosive. Watch the elevation on his jumper. What defines explosiveness to you?

I'm not saying he isn't a good athlete. Explosiveness, to me at least, is quickness either with a 1st step or getting up. That's what wins you a rebound or gets you to the hoop.

And to be fair, Gerry was very quick without the ball, but not really with it. He had that great back door cut where he would be running baseline towards the 3 pt line and then back to the hoop on a dime usually for a reverse layup.

Cooney was very explosive - but he couldnt make a contested layup to save his life. I'm taking Gerry over Cooney every single day. I think you're getting a little caught in the weeds here.

I hope JB is recruiting above and around Buddy, he can shoot, but i do not see much else on that tape, he is too small to play down on the zone, concerning

With all due respect, he will be fine and doesn't need to play on the wing of the zone. 6-5 with instincts at the top is perfectly fine.

Offensively, his shooting is what we need.

I guess the question for the board would be, IF Buddy is give one of the final remaining scholarships (so he doesn't "walk-on"), and the staff is not actively recruiting any other 2 guards in the class, is that a problem?

Its an interesting question because you have to wonder if there are better players in the class who can shoot and are interested in playing for Syracuse but may not be getting looked at or recruited as heavily give the situation?

I guess the question for the board would be, IF Buddy is give one of the final remaining scholarships (so he doesn't "walk-on"), and the staff is not actively recruiting any other 2 guards in the class, is that a problem?

Its an interesting question because you have to wonder if there are better players in the class who can shoot and are interested in playing for Syracuse but may not be getting looked at or recruited as heavily give the situation?

This is going to be a thing for the next few years. Will JB recruit over Buddy? I would hope our coaches are trying to improve every position on the roster yearly or at least every 2 years. How much rope will JB give to Buddy, and how will that impact team chemistry. JB is as stubborn as they come. Something about this whole situation makes me nervous, unless Buddy comes in and contributes strongly from the get go.

Last edited:
This is going to be a thing for the next few years. Will JB recruit over Buddy? I would hope our coaches are trying to improve every position on the roster yearly or at least every 2 years. How much rope with JB give to Buddy, and how will that impact team chemistry. JB is as stubborn as they come. Something about this whole situation makes me nervous, unless Buddy comes in and contributes strongly from the get go.

Seriously, debating (or caring) whether or not the kid can dunk? I think SU has had enough guys who could dunk who
COULD NOT SHOOT that maybe finding a kid or two who can shoot might be beneficial. Dunking is not SU's problem,
lack of shooting/scoring is.

The rest of this also concerns me. I do not want Buddy to come in with the same green light Trevor Cooney had, where
he could do no wrong regardless of what he did on the court. What I mean is, if Cooney took two less bad shots a game,
and had one less bad turnover a game, he'd never have caught any grief. Think Scoop Jardine's senior year, as opposed
to his junior year, and look at his stats: scoring down a bit, shooting pct way up, team won more too. It wasn't necessary
for him to think he had to do everything, just do enough. So, with Buddy coming in, just do enough. Please do not have
the green light to think that any fadeaway 27 footer is a good shot; it ain't. Do enough, and let the more talented players
do the heavy work.

Kev

This is going to be a thing for the next few years. Will JB recruit over Buddy? I would hope our coaches are trying to improve every position on the roster yearly or at least every 2 years. How much rope with JB give to Buddy, and how will that impact team chemistry. JB is as stubborn as they come. Something about this whole situation makes me nervous, unless Buddy comes in and contributes strongly from the get go.

Conversely, I think Coach may be tougher on Buddy as to clearly show no favoritism and pushing him to improve. Everyone remembers that coach when we were young who picked on his own kid too much

Are you kidding me ..lol. Where in the heck did you find that vid? Fantastic research, W-B.
YouTube's a helluva of a drug. Just search "Gerry McNamara high school", there's some really great footage including his state championship run & every basket of a 55 pt game where he scored 41 in the 1st half.

Oh, & when you're done, search "Buddy Boeheim highlights" ;)

This is going to be a thing for the next few years. Will JB recruit over Buddy? I would hope our coaches are trying to improve every position on the roster yearly or at least every 2 years. How much rope will JB give to Buddy, and how will that impact team chemistry. JB is as stubborn as they come. Something about this whole situation makes me nervous, unless Buddy comes in and contributes strongly from the get go.
Reminds me of the situation where the late great Al McGuire had his son playing for him at Marquette when they had some really good teams. His son started. Another player on the team, a pretty high rated recruit, complained to the media that coach's son was playing because of favoritism. McGuire's response was classic. I'm paraphrasing: I love my son, for somebody else to play they have to be a lot better than him. That ended the subject.

Reminds me of the situation where the late great Al McGuire had his son playing for him at Marquette when they had some really good teams. His son started. Another player on the team, a pretty high rated recruit, complained to the media that coach's son was playing because of favoritism. McGuire's response was classic. I'm paraphrasing: I love my son, for somebody else to play they have to be a lot better than him. That ended the subject.
He actually said more. He said I love my son. And you aren't very good.

Considering Buddy had the best 3 point percentage in EYBL I don't think there are many shooters better than him in his class. Can't believe people already are talking about recruiting over him when he hasn't made it to campus.

Speaking of that, I wonder when we'll hear an update on the status of Buddy's recruitment.

Here's the thing about Buddy: JB was coach enough to tell Jimmy he wasn't good enough to play at SU. How good do you think Buddy has to be in order for JB to recruit him to SU, (but not his brother) and knowing the crap he will take from internet morons, even if he is merely a "good" player?
I think Buddy is crazy to play at SU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom