Class of 2017 - SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler

Chukwu hasn't played competitive basketball in two years. With his limited offensive skills (on a team that will be looking for offense), I don't see him playing more than 10 minutes a game.

I've got Thompson and Sidibe ahead of him on the depth chart going into next year. We didn't see a whole lot from Chukwu but I think it was enough to see he was not ready to contribute in actual game action last season.

I've got Thompson and Sidibe ahead of him on the depth chart going into next year. We didn't see a whole lot from Chukwu but I think it was enough to see he was not ready to contribute in actual game action last season.
I agree, I will be pleasantly surprised if he contributes anything next year. Someone has to remind him that he is 7'2".

I didn't compare us to Arizona -- I said that programs like them don't worry about bringing in multiple quality prospects at the same position, and letting the players duke it out for PT. I think we do ourselves a roster disservice by only limiting ourselves to 1 player at a position, or by worrying about bringing in other guys because guys we already have on the roster might not have a path to the starting lineup if we do. We should be trying to recruit over the players we already have every year.

I'd love to land both Tucker and Wright, and if those guys prove to be "better" than Moyer [just as an example--not saying that this will happen, or that I expect it to], so be it.

I agree with everything you said as usual. I just think it may impede a Wright commitment. I hope not though. The kid is the most talented player in NYS right now.

I agree with everything you said as usual. I just think it may impede a Wright commitment. I hope not though. The kid is the most talented player in NYS right now.
I think think Tucker and Wright could co-exist. Tucker is a 3/2 and Wright is a 3/4. I could see Tucker playing the 2 his sophomore year. Part of the beauty, if we were able to get Ayala, Tucker and Wright to finish out this class, would be the versatility of the class as a whole. The class may not have that one superstar, although I think Tucker could be an offensive star. Especially with Battle having the opposing team's best perimeter defender...anyway the class may lack the clear star, it would provide depth at all positions. A great foundation for years to come.

I think they will need his defense. Thompson and him will split minutes. Maybe Sidbe will be more ready than I expect, but don't expect Thompson to play 40 minutes at center.
Chukwu's D was terrible against garbage teams this year, so saying we need his defense is a bit presumptuous. He needs to show he can actually protect the paint before we consider him a plus defender.

Chukwu's D was terrible against garbage teams this year, so saying we need his defense is a bit presumptuous. He needs to show he can actually protect the paint before we consider him a plus defender.

I have no idea what advanced rim protection stats would say about Chukwu, but averaging over 5 blocks per 40 minutes is simply insane. There's certainly enough flashes there to have hope for him defensively. It definitely was a mixed bag at times though.

Really? He was playing with a freaking detached retina. It was detached for awhile. 2nd game in the season he became even nore detached against Holy Cross and after that he went from playing with an eye issue to temporily blind in his right eye. Its so hard to judge where the ball and the players are with only one eye... especially with it being the right eye

If all those guys were here, who would play?

Tucker is #40 ESPN class of 2017
Wright is #27 ESPN class of 2018

They could both conceivably step over guys already in the system and/or committed (ie. Moyer, Sidibe and Brissett).
I don't understand this. I just watched videos from each, and Tucker looks like a top 10 kid, and Wright like a bottom 50. Tucker was like Lonzo Ball. Strong, dynamic, assertive. The Wright video... he looks like he needs more time. In HS.

Which Wright links should i be checking out? Would be very cool to keep a NY player, and kid who's already wearing the hallowed #44, but Tucker looks like the kind of playmaker we need, who can get in and mix it up and score against tough defenses.

Its so hard to judge where the ball and the players are with only one eye... especially with it being the right eye
I didn't realize his right eye was his stronger eye. :noidea:

Really? He was playing with a freaking detached retina. It was detached for awhile. 2nd game in the season he became even nore detached against Holy Cross and after that he went from playing with an eye issue to temporily blind in his right eye. Its so hard to judge where the ball and the players are with only one eye... especially with it being the right eye
We'll see where he is next year, hopefully he'll be much improved. It was his lack of strength and quickness that was problematic. His eye injury probably made him hesitant, at least, so I'll give him that. I want him to play like he's 7'2" amd be a presence in the middle.

I didn't realize his right eye was his stronger eye. :noidea:

Well he is right handed. So if your right eye is off then it makes it hard to have hand eye coordination because his left eye was so repsonsible for the location of the ball to swat ball with his dominant (right) hand

I know Tucker plays SF but is there any chance he could play or at least see time at SG in our system, similar to Gbinije? Watching film, they seem like similar players to me, with G being a bit more athletic/explosive off the bounce. Just wondering if he & Hameir could potentially co-exist on the court down the road. Tucker's game actually most reminds me of D-Nich as far a former SU players. Smooth stroke.

I know Tucker plays SF but is there any chance he could play or at least see time at SG in our system, similar to Gbinije? Watching film, they seem like similar players to me, with G being a bit more athletic/explosive off the bounce. Just wondering if he & Hameir could potentially co-exist on the court down the road. Tucker's game actually most reminds me of D-Nich as far a former SU players. Smooth stroke.
He could, and they could.

not to be nitpiky but G played PG

I'm glad the staff quickly saw the issue with SF spot next season and re-engaged Tucker. He seems to have the right skillset to do very well at SU.

Hope this works out.