Class of 2022 - SG/SF Justin Taylor (VA / IMG) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 47 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SG/SF Justin Taylor (VA / IMG) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I finished watching IMG's game against Combine Academy (the only full length game I've found of them so far).

My unofficial numbers for Justin Taylor are:
  • 15 points on 51.2% TS%
  • 2/6 from 2 point range, 2/6 from 3 point range, and 5/6 from the free throw line
  • 0 rebounds (they swap between man and zone and he plays on the backline of the zone, so he should fit in with our current forwards in that regard)
  • 2 assists to 0 turnovers (including a half court alley oop)
  • 1 intentional foul towards the end of the game
  • FWIW, shot 16/23 on corner 3's during warmups and 13/20 from above the break
The good:
  • Hops into his jumper with some good rhythm.
  • Had some nice, hard backdoor cuts that could have led to layups if his teammates were paying attention.
  • For the most part, he quickly decides if he's going to attack or just keep the ball moving around.
  • Had a couple pull-up jumpers as he came around screens and another play where he patiently curled around the screen and probed the defense before getting to the rim.
  • His shot looks good to me; if I were to nitpick, he sometimes jumps slightly backwards on his jumper instead of slightly forwards or at least straight up. But he seems further along mechanically than Bunch or Copeland.
  • As mentioned in the Quadir thread, this is pretty obviously a worse level of competition than what Bunch is facing in the NIBC games, but having said that, Taylor was at worst the 2nd best player on his team (I'd probably lean towards Justyn Fernandez as having the best performance here/also just like Fernandez's combination of athleticism and shooting ability).
The bad:
  • 0 rebounds as one of the biggest players on the court leaves a bit to be desired. Had 5-10 rebounds that he just couldn't hold on to and ended up being deflected out of bounds or ripped out of his hands.
  • Something to keep an eye on as more film comes out: he was driving to the left and beat his man but froze up and settled for a fadeaway jumper that got blocked...potentially uncomfortable finishing with his left hand?
  • Pretty basic ball-handler at this point in time, though he seems pretty comfortable moving off-ball and I imagine that's how he'll be utilized most of the time.
  • 1/3 at the rim, 1/3 from mid-range, and 2/6 from 3; none of that is good, though his FT numbers and warm up numbers were both promising IMO.
The rebounding is a bit scary considering what we're dealing with at Syracuse this season, but offensively, he seems to at least have a chance at contributing early on.

Here's a clip of one of his buckets at the rim:

Okay, I finished watching IMG's game against Combine Academy (the only full length game I've found of them so far).

My unofficial numbers for Justin Taylor are:
  • 15 points on 51.2% TS%
  • 2/6 from 2 point range, 2/6 from 3 point range, and 5/6 from the free throw line
  • 0 rebounds (they swap between man and zone and he plays on the backline of the zone, so he should fit in with our current forwards in that regard)
  • 2 assists to 0 turnovers (including a half court alley oop)
  • 1 intentional foul towards the end of the game
  • FWIW, shot 16/23 on corner 3's during warmups and 13/20 from above the break
The good:
  • Hops into his jumper with some good rhythm.
  • Had some nice, hard backdoor cuts that could have led to layups if his teammates were paying attention.
  • For the most part, he quickly decides if he's going to attack or just keep the ball moving around.
  • Had a couple pull-up jumpers as he came around screens and another play where he patiently curled around the screen and probed the defense before getting to the rim.
  • His shot looks good to me; if I were to nitpick, he sometimes jumps slightly backwards on his jumper instead of slightly forwards or at least straight up. But he seems further along mechanically than Bunch or Copeland.
  • As mentioned in the Quadir thread, this is pretty obviously a worse level of competition than what Bunch is facing in the NIBC games, but having said that, Taylor was at worst the 2nd best player on his team (I'd probably lean towards Justyn Fernandez as having the best performance here/also just like Fernandez's combination of athleticism and shooting ability).
The bad:
  • 0 rebounds as one of the biggest players on the court leaves a bit to be desired. Had 5-10 rebounds that he just couldn't hold on to and ended up being deflected out of bounds or ripped out of his hands.
  • Something to keep an eye on as more film comes out: he was driving to the left and beat his man but froze up and settled for a fadeaway jumper that got blocked...potentially uncomfortable finishing with his left hand?
  • Pretty basic ball-handler at this point in time, though he seems pretty comfortable moving off-ball and I imagine that's how he'll be utilized most of the time.
  • 1/3 at the rim, 1/3 from mid-range, and 2/6 from 3; none of that is good, though his FT numbers and warm up numbers were both promising IMO.
The rebounding is a bit scary considering what we're dealing with at Syracuse this season, but offensively, he seems to at least have a chance at contributing early on.

Here's a clip of one of his buckets at the rim:

You always get the wrong games. Lol. I’m surprised there was a game where he didn’t get a rebound. I’ve watched several of his games and imo that’s one of his strengths as a 2/3, although he gets stuck playing some 4. And you’re 100% right, Fernandez is their best player.

Screenshot_20220101-142308_Instagram.jpg

Once you start hitting all these cancellations, I don't know about you all, but I begin to lose track of even when our own games are. I think we have a couple month shutdown of sports coming again, or no in-person fans, something like that.

The new omicrom COVID may only last a couple months, but those months are going to be heart of this basketball (and hockey) seasons,

JT has dropped to 108 on 247(35 spots) composite and 127 just 247( 45 spots).

Bunch moved up to 55 on 247(2 spots) and down 25 spots to 96 on Composite.

Wow, I was expecting to see a couple of pages on this today. Just one post?? Wow, the state of our program is really hurting the fandom. We need a change, badly.

I would be interested why he fell so far. It could be nothing.

I can see how he has struggled with his shot at times. Looks like very little rotation on his shot.

I can see how he has struggled with his shot at times. Looks like very little rotation on his shot.
Hope he’s not expected to play 15+ minutes, his moves are weak and he doesn’t create his own shot very well. Anytime he makes a move and shoots he’s got a guy in his face, change the defenders to college players and he’ll be passing out of it. Not a huge fan.

Hope he’s not expected to play 15+ minutes, his moves are weak and he doesn’t create his own shot very well. Anytime he makes a move and shoots he’s got a guy in his face, change the defenders to college players and he’ll be passing out of it. Not a huge fan.

Yeah he looks like a Trevor Cooney of sorts given it took Trevor a few years to really be ready at this level including that red shirt year. We were lucky with so much talent in front of TC to let him develop.

Yeah he looks like a Trevor Cooney of sorts given it took Trevor a few years to really be ready at this level including that red shirt year. We were lucky with so much talent in front of TC to let him develop.
Trevor was super quick in high school, dunks, etc etc. But yeah this kid is years away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom