Class of 2022 - SG/SF Justin Taylor (VA / IMG) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 49 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SG/SF Justin Taylor (VA / IMG) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. I have no knowledge on Mintz. What I hear, I don't like. Mintz would play the 1 and spot duty at the 2.

Thanks -- wasn't calling you out in any way, shape, or form.

Was just questioning because you used the term "will," implying that he was in play.

Thanks for clarifying.

Why would he transfer. There’s playing time available.
If Taylor plays the 3, where does Bunch play? And if Swider returns and plays alongside Benny, Taylor and Bunch aren’t plsying much at all. One more thing: If Swider doesn’t return, SU will need to hit the portal. If they don’t, the season won’t have much meaning.

Taylor might be the most complete player on the team. His all around game is more complete than Buddy or Swider imo. If he adjusts well to the college game it sure would be a much needed weapon for this team. He’s got the Lawrence Moten poise and smoothness to him.
Yeah. He’s the one recruit I have actual hope could play some sort of role for us next season.

If Taylor plays the 3, where does Bunch play? And if Swider returns and plays alongside Benny, Taylor and Bunch aren’t plsying much at all. One more thing: If Swider doesn’t return, SU will need to hit the portal. If they don’t, the season won’t have much meaning.
Jb plays people out of position all the time so its not like we haven’t experienced this before. I can see him playing either forward spot. Depending who’s in the game at the time along side him.

I just watched AAU highlights of both Justin Taylor and Chris Bunch. It is so frustrating watching AAU, because it's such crap. I think it gives players the idea that they will always have room to operate offensively. When you watch good college teams play, there is no room to operate. You have to actually do something to create enough space to do something. You have to be physically strong and use your body to make room to get a shot off. Or, you have to be a great ball handler to get your man out of position. Anyway, it is a crap shoot to figure out who will contribute the most as a freshman. Maybe none, but surely at least one will show something. Bunch is skinny, but tall. But, he has a low release on his shot and he is not that great off the bounce. Taylor is a player, and he has a more classic release on his outside shot. His shot looks nice, but it wasn't falling very well in his high school season, maybe because he didn't get as much room as in AAU? I think Copeland has a chance to be a contributor, for a couple of reasons. First reason, if we don't get another guard, it may be by default that he gets minutes. Second, he has size and length that could at least make him a factor. Lastly, he has swag. At least in videos he does. I am hoping he is the guy that brings some freaking dawg to this team. What we really need is a transfer that comes in and brings toughness to this team, but I doubt that happens.

Jb plays people out of position all the time so its not like we haven’t experienced this before. I can see him playing either forward spot. Depending who’s in the game at the time along side him.
It wouldn’t be a good thing if we want to win games. Trust me.

Taylor might be the most complete player on the team. His all around game is more complete than Buddy or Swider imo. If he adjusts well to the college game it sure would be a much needed weapon for this team. He’s got the Lawrence Moten poise and smoothness to him.
Not trying to be rude, but I watched almost every EYBL game available… first of all, he’s an undersized 3. Doesn’t really handle it good enough to be a steady guard, even though he’ll probably play the 2 for us. He’s an average shooter at best. His range doesn’t really go past the elbow. He needs to improve his stroke a lot in order for JAB to let him shoot 3s. That being said, he is a very good athelte and very much streaky. Almost as if confidence plays a role in his game. If he starts off slow, he may stay cold. If he starts off hot, he can have a nice game. But nowhere near a Swider.

Not trying to be rude, but I watched almost every EYBL game available… first of all, he’s an undersized 3. Doesn’t really handle it good enough to be a steady guard, even though he’ll probably play the 2 for us. He’s an average shooter at best. His range doesn’t really go past the elbow. He needs to improve his stroke a lot in order for JAB to let him shoot 3s. That being said, he is a very good athelte and very much streaky. Almost as if confidence plays a role in his game. If he starts off slow, he may stay cold. If he starts off hot, he can have a nice game. But nowhere near a Swider.
Fair enough, but I think he’s underrated and much better and more capable than some people are giving him credit for. We shall see

Fair enough, but I think he’s underrated and much better and more capable than some people are giving him credit for. We shall see.
I think he’s slightly underrated. I do think he has a much better chance to contribute early than Bunch. People that are high on Bunch must just be watching highlights. He’s basically just out there. Stands at the 3 and shoots a set shot. Extremely unaggressive. Taylor is built like a Cooney and isn’t afraid to mix it up on the glass.

I just watched AAU highlights of both Justin Taylor and Chris Bunch. It is so frustrating watching AAU, because it's such crap. I think it gives players the idea that they will always have room to operate offensively. When you watch good college teams play, there is no room to operate. You have to actually do something to create enough space to do something. You have to be physically strong and use your body to make room to get a shot off. Or, you have to be a great ball handler to get your man out of position. Anyway, it is a crap shoot to figure out who will contribute the most as a freshman. Maybe none, but surely at least one will show something. Bunch is skinny, but tall. But, he has a low release on his shot and he is not that great off the bounce. Taylor is a player, and he has a more classic release on his outside shot. His shot looks nice, but it wasn't falling very well in his high school season, maybe because he didn't get as much room as in AAU? I think Copeland has a chance to be a contributor, for a couple of reasons. First reason, if we don't get another guard, it may be by default that he gets minutes. Second, he has size and length that could at least make him a factor. Lastly, he has swag. At least in videos he does. I am hoping he is the guy that brings some freaking dawg to this team. What we really need is a transfer that comes in and brings toughness to this team, but I doubt that happens.
If we don’t get a scoring combo guard, we shouldn’t expect much next season. Ideally Copeland redshirts. Taylor gets limited minutes as a backup 2. Bunch gets some time as a backup forward. But this is all predicated on Cole returning or finding a suitable replacement via the portal. It also depends on whether Benny makes a big jump. If things don’t fall into place and we need to lean on freshmen, chalk it up as a rebuilding year.

If we don’t get a scoring combo guard, we shouldn’t expect much next season. Ideally Copeland redshirts. Taylor gets limited minutes as a backup 2. Bunch gets some time as a backup forward. But this is all predicated on Cole returning or finding a suitable replacement via the portal. It also depends on whether Benny makes a big jump. If things don’t fall into place and we need to lean on freshmen, chalk it up as a rebuilding year.
I love to speculate and try to figure out how the pieces fit, but with the portal, it has become impossible to figure this stuff out. Especially when one lacks confidence in the staff in building a roster, as I do. Also, player development is so complicated, you have players like Benny that are so physically gifted, but his confidence killed him this year. You get players that have less skill and talent that are so cocksure of themselves that they kick butt from the get go. The only thing I know is, I will be rooting for the pieces to all fall together and for the team to have a great year. If not, there is always the next year.

Barring injury, nobody is ever gonna redshirt ever again.

Not in the Portal Era, where they (think that they) can jump to another team for immediate PT.

Play all the players!
Or risk losing them, and starting over from scratch.

Not in the Portal Era, where they (think that they) can jump to another team for immediate PT.

Play all the players!
Or only recruit portal players.

Or only recruit portal players.
There's something to this. Much easier to scout and predict future performance when the tape includes minutes of game time vs. college competition. Even transfer players who got extremely limited minutes will have some college level competition to check.

There's something to this. Much easier to scout and predict future performance when the tape includes minutes of game time vs. college competition. Even transfer players who got extremely limited minutes will have some college level competition to check.
The downside is at that point, you've already missed out on the cream of the crop in most cases. But as evidenced by many teams around the country, you can definitely build a good team this way.

Recruit guys with 2 years left. 1st year a guy backs up, 2nd year he starts. 2 guys at each position, 10 scholarships. The other 3 scholarships go to developmental guys who may or may not get into the other level.

Play all the players!
Kid on UCONN did this yr from NJ. Hurley was quoted saying he may have messed up by doing so. That he may have been able to contribute.

Kid on UCONN did this yr from NJ. Hurley was quoted saying he may have messed up by doing so. That he may have been able to contribute.
Hurley also went on to explain the reason he likely messed up was because he went Tyrone Biggums for a while.

Fair enough, but I think he’s underrated and much better and more capable than some people are giving him credit for. We shall see

Agree and its amazing to see how excited most people were early when we started recruiting him (check out the first bunch of pages of this thread) vs now. I think he is the perfect player for Cuse and the type of recruit that will contribute solidly in year 1 and then move into star player thereafter. Time will tell

Cuse!

Agree and its amazing to see how excited most people were early when we started recruiting him (check out the first bunch of pages of this thread) vs now. I think he is the perfect player for Cuse and the type of recruit that will contribute solidly in year 1 and then move into star player thereafter. Time will tell

Cuse!
I agree. My concern is that as a freshman we can’t rely on him to start or play a ton of minutes. He’s more like a 7th or 8th man. We need some instant-impact, high level starters to go right away. If we land Judah and Cole returns (or we land two key transfers), I’ll feel much better. But Taylor should be a good bench piece as a freshman that should develop as an upperclassman.

Watch this game at your own risk. Taylor and Copeland looks like mid major players
These IMG post grad games are pathetic. I think the EYBL games are a better measure of where they are. I honestly hope none of out future recruits play for the IMG post grad team.

These IMG post grad games are pathetic. I think the EYBL games are a better measure of where they are. I honestly hope none of out future recruits play for the IMG post grad team.
Yeah, it is sad. Remember Jesse Edwards?
Bru - tal. (eye roll)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors