Shafer: Allen in mix for starting quarterback spot | Syracusefan.com

Shafer: Allen in mix for starting quarterback spot

Didn't Macky admit something along the lines of "if you didn't think drew allen was offered a starting position here, I've got some ocean front property in wyoming to sell you" a recent interview?

Didn't Macky admit something along the lines of "if you didn't think drew allen was offered a starting position here, I've got some ocean front property in wyoming to sell you" a recent interview?

I didn't see that quote and shallow sea once covered Wyoming during the Early Paleozoic

I'd really like to see each qb get the same amount of reps with the first team. I thought Hunt did a fine job of managing the offense in the spring game and would have loved to have seen what Loeb and Kinder would have done.

“I’ve talked to Drew and seen him passing through the office,” Shafer said. “We’re not allowed to work with him yet, so right now I can’t wait to see him on the field.”

So, apparently it's not a violation to work him out in the office. Hope the walls weren't made of glass, and that he threw accurately. We too pass a nerf ball thru the office on late work nights with my buddies.

Shocking!
Who saw this coming? :)

Yeah, this was basically my reaction at reading that statement from Shafer:

we-landed-on-the-moon-o.gif

I didn't see that quote and shallow sea once covered Wyoming during the Early Paleozoic

xc84, is it true that trilobites and inarticulate brachiopods were quite plentiful in that area during the Early Paleozoic?

I'd really like to see each qb get the same amount of reps with the first team. I thought Hunt did a fine job of managing the offense in the spring game and would have loved to have seen what Loeb and Kinder would have done.

Hmm, not me. I hope they figure out who the best guy* is right away and force feed him the practice snaps so we're ready to beat down the Nittany Sexual Predators on the 31st.

*Drew Allen

I hope Hunt beats Allen out. I'd like to go back to the days when our quarterbacks were athletic.

Hmm, not me. I hope they figure out who the best guy* is right away and force feed him the practice snaps so we're ready to beat down the Nittany sixual Predators on the 31st.

*Drew Allen

Shouldn't Hunt, Loeb and Kinder get a chance to show possible improvement over the summer before handing the reigns over to Allen?

Hmm, not me. I hope they figure out who the best guy* is right away and force feed him the practice snaps so we're ready to beat down the Nittany sixual Predators on the 31st.

*Drew Allen

OiG...I was talking about me personally for my own curiosity to be answered. I should have been clearer on that.

I don't like the two qb thing because to me it takes away any kind of flow the starter gets and I agree with you that the coaches have to identify the #1 asap. That said, I hope it's a hard decision because the qb's are doing well and it isn't the tallest midget.

“I’ve talked to Drew and seen him passing through the office,” Shafer said. “We’re not allowed to work with him yet, so right now I can’t wait to see him on the field.”

So, apparently it's not a violation to work him out in the office. Hope the walls weren't made of glass, and that he threw accurately. We too pass a nerf ball thru the office on late work nights with my buddies.

Wasn't he also at the Senior BBQ at Shafer's house? I'll bet there was more going on than chatting.

Wasn't he also at the Senior BBQ at Shafer's house? I'll bet there was more going on than chatting.

You may want to rephrase that or else people will think you believe Shafer to be some weird combo of Jerry Sandusky and Laurie Fine...

Sure.*

*No.

On what are you basing your hope that Allen is named the starter? How do you know he's any good? I'm just curious, because he couldn't win a starting job at OU (and yes, I know they had some talent there at qb).

On what are you basing your hope that Allen is named the starter? How do you know he's any good? I'm just curious, because he couldn't win a starting job at OU (and yes, I know they had some talent there at qb).

This is how I see it - we've got two guys. One of them is reportedly more of a dual threat QB (ie, athletic for a QB, but probably not a very good passer) from an area not known for producing high level college football players that came in decently ranked but raw, and under coaching has made some strides and may be ready to lead a team to a bowl game.

The other guy is a more traditional quarterback (ie, not exceptionally athletic for a QB, but probably a better passer) from an area known for producing high level college football players that came in to college highly ranked, living and breathing football, with far more specialized coaching and polish than we're used to seeing at Syracuse. For whatever reason he went to a program with guys that were better/the coaches deemed a better long term fit to invest in, and now wants a one year chance to show that he's a very good, winning quarterback that just needed a shot to showcase what he's made of.

I think Hunt's immediate goal is to start in college. I think Allen's immediate goal is to make the NFL - he left OU to make a name for himself. Combine that with all of the extra football time that Allen has clocked vs Hunt, and yeah, I think he's not only more ready than Hunt, but just a better quarterback.

Lastly, this is based on absolutely nothing but my own wild thinking... I think AJ Long is lurking. After this season we'll have Hunt, Wilson, Kimble and Long as potential 2014 starters, and while I never advocate starting freshmen at quarterback I just have a hunch that Long's coming here to play right away. If that's the plan, it's much easier to use Allen as a one year mercenary and then start Allen than it would be to demote Hunt. I think this season's QB race isn't just about this season.

This is how I see it - we've got two guys. One of them is reportedly more of a dual threat QB (ie, athletic for a QB, but probably not a very good passer) from an area not known for producing high level college football players that came in decently ranked but raw, and under coaching has made some strides and may be ready to lead a team to a bowl game.

The other guy is a more traditional quarterback (ie, not exceptionally athletic for a QB, but probably a better passer) from an area known for producing high level college football players that came in to college highly ranked, living and breathing football, with far more specialized coaching and polish than we're used to seeing at Syracuse. For whatever reason he went to a program with guys that were better/the coaches deemed a better long term fit to invest in, and now wants a one year chance to show that he's a very good, winning quarterback that just needed a shot to showcase what he's made of.

I think Hunt's immediate goal is to start in college. I think Allen's immediate goal is to make the NFL - he left OU to make a name for himself. Combine that with all of the extra football time that Allen has clocked vs Hunt, and yeah, I think he's not only more ready than Hunt, but just a better quarterback.

Lastly, this is based on absolutely nothing but my own wild thinking... I think AJ Long is lurking. After this season we'll have Hunt, Wilson, Kimble and Long as potential 2014 starters, and while I never advocate starting freshmen at quarterback I just have a hunch that Long's coming here to play right away. If that's the plan, it's much easier to use Allen as a one year mercenary and then start Allen than it would be to demote Hunt. I think this season's QB race isn't just about this season.

Absolutely fantastic post. Thanks, OiG. This makes perfect sense, especially your last line. Do we know enough about our offensive system this year to know that a traditional drop back QB will be a better fit for us? How much of Hackett's style/ playbook will the new OC use? That's a question I doubt we know the answer to as of now, except that I think we will still play up-tempo.

I hope Hunt beats Allen out. I'd like to go back to the days when our quarterbacks were athletic.

That looks pretty athletic to me at least more so than our 4th round pick Ryan Nassib.

784 yards rushing is nothing to sneeze at:)

Absolutely fantastic post. Thanks, OiG. This makes perfect sense, especially your last line. Do we know enough about our offensive system this year to know that a traditional drop back QB will be a better fit for us? How much of Hackett's style/ playbook will the new OC use? That's a question I doubt we know the answer to as of now, except that I think we will still play up-tempo.

Again, I have no insider knowledge, but I recall reading during Allen's recruitment that part of the appeal we offered is that the offense we run will be similar to Oklahoma/the system Allen has been in already.:noidea:

I too am hopeful that we continue to play up-tempo. There are a lot of different ways to play up-tempo. I really liked what we did last year. So long as we play at a pace that 1, disrupts the defense's ability to substitute and 2, doesn't allow the defense to think through their assignments and identify our formations easily I think we can be in good shape.

Sure would love to see us regularly get off such a high number of plays though.

Allen will have the starting gig wrapped up 5 days in to camp. He is superior to Hunt. its not close.

Allen will have the starting gig wrapped up 5 days in to camp. He is superior to Hunt. its not close.

While I believe this to be true, I don't think we can say this with certainty until the coaches have seen Allen play at least a little. As far as I know the coaches have seen nothing from Allen (which I suppose legally they haven't been allowed to by the NCAA.) so they can only speculate how good he became after four years as a backup at OU. Maybe he is about to showcase he is a quality QB who could prove NFL worthy, or maybe he has regressed and will not be capable of being a starter. Or maybe, just maybe Hunt has improved dramatically and is actually far better than we thought.

Allen had been working with George Whitfield before he enrolled at Syracuse. Whitfield has worked with many good QB'S