Shafer: Allen in mix for starting quarterback spot | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer: Allen in mix for starting quarterback spot

So in other words, if everyone is equal, the younger guy gets it. So then Allen has to be clearly better than Hunt to earn the spot. Otherwise, SU has to play Hunt.

I'm for whatever helps Syracuse, as determined by HCSS and Co. Personally, I remain skeptical about Allen, but I am willing to see what he can do. I have not seen Hunt play or practice so I have no opinion pro or con regarding Hunt. IF HCSS says Allen is the starter, I'm good with it.

My post was just a recap of what happened at OU and why Allen was let go. From discussions with OU fans, they think Allen is the better passer. However, these same fans are not high on Bell's passing ability. IN the two games I watched in person, he is horrible with the clock and was only used for short yardage gains/goal line plays. I was at the OU at Baylor game in 2011 and he blew OU's chance to tie/win the game, assuring Baylor's victory (and RGIII's paycheck).

Another reason I am not so high on Allen is that Big 12 has forgotten how to play defense. These QBs have been playing against weak Ds so their stats are inflated. Recall the WVU in the Pinstripe Bowl, they were lost playing against a solid defense. This does not equate to Allen being bad, just unproven.

I'm for whatever helps Syracuse, as determined by HCSS and Co. Personally, I remain skeptical about Allen, but I am willing to see what he can do. I have not seen Hunt play or practice so I have no opinion pro or con regarding Hunt. IF HCSS says Allen is the starter, I'm good with it.

My post was just a recap of what happened at OU and why Allen was let go. From discussions with OU fans, they think Allen is the better passer. However, these same fans are not high on Bell's passing ability. IN the two games I watched in person, he is horrible with the clock and was only used for short yardage gains/goal line plays. I was at the OU at Baylor game in 2011 and he blew OU's chance to tie/win the game, assuring Baylor's victory (and RGIII's paycheck).

Another reason I am not so high on Allen is that Big 12 has forgotten how to play defense. These QBs have been playing against weak Ds so their stats are inflated. Recall the WVU in the Pinstripe Bowl, they were lost playing against a solid defense. This does not equate to Allen being bad, just unproven.

Yeah, I don't care who wins the spot either. Like you said, player that gives us the best chance to win. I just cringe a little when people (not you) assume Allen will be head and shoulders better. Sitting the bench for 4 years behind a good QB doesn't mean he's bad, but it doesn't make him good either. He couldn't beat out Landry, and then couldn't be head and shoulders about the new guy. Anxious to see how all of the QBs do. But there will be some exploding heads here if Loeb or one of the frosh win the job, let alone Hunt.

Yeah, I don't care who wins the spot either. Like you said, player that gives us the best chance to win. I just cringe a little when people (not you) assume Allen will be head and shoulders better. Sitting the bench for 4 years behind a good QB doesn't mean he's bad, but it doesn't make him good either. He couldn't beat out Landry, and then couldn't be head and shoulders about the new guy. Anxious to see how all of the QBs do. But there will be some exploding heads here if Loeb or one of the frosh win the job, let alone Hunt.

I think people here would mostly be fine if Hunt wins the job over Allen, because at this point people know Hunt is the only real challenger.

People's heads will explode if Loeb wins the job, though. Or Kinder, Kimble, or Wilson, but let's be honest, an Amish kid has a better chance fixing my laptop than any of those guys have of winning the starting QB job this fall.

Call me crazy, but I'm more concerned about RT and the right side of the OL than I am QB.

I think Allen will win the spot and, if given the same protection Nassib was for the better part of the season last year, can have a great year. If Hunt wins, I will be just as excited because he would bring a running element to the position that we haven't had in years.

I am really, really looking forward to this season. A lot of question marks, but a lot of potential.

Grab some popcorn, some people are bound to be unhappy no matter what happens.

I like our RB situation and I think that all we need is a stable decent QB, a caretaker. I believe Allen and Hunt (and even Loeb) can handle the type of performance we need to win a majority of games because of our running backs. I also believe that Allen and Hunt both exceed the caretaker level we need, so I am optimistic on offense. I also think that we have a good group of receivers who will help make a QB look good (not outstanding, that is on a QB to be outstanding). We don't need 4,000 yards, we need a guy who will keep defenses honest. I would like big stats, but we are still in rebuilding mode so I will take wins, ugly or otherwise, before worrying about big stats.

Now I just need these kids to go out and prove me right. GO ORANGE!

Call me crazy, but I'm more concerned about RT and the right side of the OL than I am QB.

I think Allen will win the spot and, if given the same protection Nassib was for the better part of the season last year, can have a great year. If Hunt wins, I will be just as excited because he would bring a running element to the position that we haven't had in years.

I am really, really looking forward to this season. A lot of question marks, but a lot of potential.

Your last line is why I'm optimistic - "a lot of potential." Syracuse is moving in the right direction!

Someone needs to tell Alex Plavin (who was on ESPN CNY yesterday) that coaches can't work with players during the summer. He expressed a concern that Allen isn't the starter yet, saying something to the effect of "if he's so good, why is he not ahead of Hunt at this point.."

I never thought I would miss McManus on that show, but yeah.