Shafer was a genius in the 2nd half, i see what you guys | Syracusefan.com

Shafer was a genius in the 2nd half, i see what you guys

His defense caused 5 TO ... if the offense could have done something with half of those they would have won.

We rip the offense for not making adjustments or if they are consistent for an entire game. It's okay to rip the d-coordinator when the defense fails to show up in the 2nd half. Can't have it both ways just b/c you don't like Marrone

Decent first half dreadful second half. Ironic part of the turnovers is that the last fumble SU didn't get uconn scored their game winning td on. It reminded of the fumbles we couldn't grab vs louisville at the dome last year, if we get it it turns the game around. The d did a very good job of getting to the ball and it's too bad they didn't get that last one.

Giving up 28 points in college football is usually not awful and really that combined with 5 TO's should have given us a win.

That said this was against a putrid UConn offense. Yes the defense looked bad. Yes they couldn't tackle and stop the run. I am definitely not defending the defense. But they sure were better than the offense and if they didn't create those turnovers this would have been a blowout.

I like Marrone, it's hard not to like him. But I just think he's over his head a bit and making way too many tactical errors and not really learning from them. My emotions may have gotten the better of me today but this may have been one his worst coaching days yet. They showed him on the sideline and he was doing a lot of squinting like he had a severe headache. That may have been the case. Maybe he was sick today or this week. Who knows, I am willing to give him a pass but he's running out of them with me (and obviously a lot of other people).

Decent first half dreadful second half. Ironic part of the turnovers is that the last fumble SU didn't get uconn scored their game winning td on. It reminded of the fumbles we couldn't grab vs louisville at the dome last year, if we get it it turns the game around. The d did a very good job of getting to the ball and it's too bad they didn't get that last one.

I don't even think the D was good in the first half. Chandler made a great play to cause a fumble. The INTs were because their QB blows. The QB fumble he mishandled the snap. The other play I can't remember. So at least three of those we lucked out IMO. We gave up 134 yards in the 1st Q.

I don't even think the D was good in the first half. Chandler made a great play to cause a fumble. The INTs were because their QB blows. The QB fumble he mishandled the snap. The other play I can't remember. So at least three of those we lucked out IMO. We gave up 134 yards in the 1st Q.

You may be right I'm too pissed to think right now.

Just as it's hard to blame an OC when the offense isn't executing on plays it's hard to blame the DC when guys are in perfect position to make a tackle but ole on the effort. Some bright spots today but overall just not our best effort. I still wouldn't be surprised to see us beat both USF and Cincy.

That's a very accurate and spot on observation...besides the Chandler forced turnover, Thomas made a great pick in the first quarter shortly after our first turnover...the others were indeed gimmies...

You are defending the defense? It was horrid

The defense caused 5 turnovers. If the offense converted a few of those it would've been more Air Pasqualoni and more turnovers and good things for our team.

I get that we're limited on offense, lost some kids, etc, but that first half was Pariani-esque. We are much better than that.

Our defense is just too small. Our linebackers aren't even as big as some of the receivers we are going against. That's one of the reasons players just bounce off our defensive players. One player that's not taking enough heat is Krautman. He shanked an easy field goal and his kickoffs were dreadful. They started every drive around the 40. UCONN never had to go the length of the field. When they were pinned in, they were dreadful. His kickoffs have been dreadful all year and he has become anything but automatic on field goals.

Our defense is just too small. Our linebackers aren't even as big as some of the receivers we are going against. That's one of the reasons players just bounce off our defensive players. One player that's not taking enough heat is Krautman. He shanked an easy field goal and his kickoffs were dreadful. They started every drive around the 40. UCONN never had to go the length of the field. When they were pinned in, they were dreadful. His kickoffs have been dreadful all year and he has become anything but automatic on field goals.
Did he not spend any time in the weight room in the off season? His kickoffs were dreadful last year as well.

Have all been saying get him a 10 year deal

I don't know -- I'm fine with people criticizing the defense for the second-half in particular. But when your fan base is getting on you for a game in which you surrendered all of 28 points AND forced 5 TOs with a young defense after two years of being the primary reason you were winning games, I think you're generally doing your job a pretty high level.

The defense caused 5 turnovers. If the offense converted a few of those it would've been more Air Pasqualoni and more turnovers and good things for our team.

I get that we're limited on offense, lost some kids, etc, but that first half was Pariani-esque. We are much better than that.

I think only one of the TO's gave Syracuse good starting position. Remember, quite a few of those TO's were deep in our own territory.

Point saving? YES. Offense Should Score? No.

We got 5! turnovers. Say we get 10-14 points off them (like most teams should) and eat up clock. We enter the 2nd half with that score, up big, and a fresh defense.

We got 5! turnovers. Say we get 10-14 points off them (like most teams should) and eat up clock. We enter the 2nd half with that score, up big, and a fresh defense.

1st turnover - Syracuse 11
2nd turnover - Syracuse 20
3rd turnover - Syracuse 27
4th turnover - UConn 49
5th turnover - Syracuse 49

I would say it would be hard to say the offense had to score on the first 3 b/c they were pushed decently back. The last 2, Syracuse did need to score. Although that 5th one occurred with 25 seconds left.

Not scoring on that 4th turnover (more importantly, going 3 and out) killed.

In the 1st half the D-Line was very good, the LB's were good - very good at times and the secondary was giving up big yards... but this looked like they might have been playing soft coverage at times to prevent the real big plays but not always easy to tell on TV. The offense sucked - really sucked - really really sucked depending on the play.

2nd half - the defense was terrible all the way around. However it can't all be blamed on the players - other then the poor tackling. You can't be as aggressive as Shafer was at the line of scrimmage - UConn exploited the hell out of this. Over and over and over again. Shafer made no adjustments to stop what UConn was doing and in the 4th Q UConn's defense did make adjustments and stopped the plays we had run multiple times before successfully.

Got to love thread titles that have an "i told you so" arrogance to them. Shafer is a good DC. Bad effort today obviously but the body of work thus far has been good.

Got to love thread titles that have an "i told you so" arrogance to them. Shafer is a good DC. Bad effort today obviously but the body of work thus far has been good.

Track record is three great games last year and ten mediocre to bad games. This year two great games and seven mediocre to bad games. The D was absolutely awesome those five games and carried us to four victories. The other 17 games they left it up to the O to carry the team. When Shafer's D matches up well against a team it is awesome. When it doesn't match up well, we struggle big time. We need more solid performances on D and less extremes.

Never said he wasn't a good DC and there is zero arrogance in my post. I like Shafer and what he has done but today he is just as accountable as the offense and he should be called out on it just as other posters on here like to call out the offense every week.

As we keep adding more talent over time and it gets more experience, I would expect it to get more consistent. There is young talent on the D that flashes ability (D.Davis, Spruill, Diabate, Lynch, Goggins, Lyn) plus guys like Reddish, Desir and Eskridge waiting in the wings for an opportunity next year. It is very frustrating watching some of the mistakes and games that get away like this but you can see the improvement in athleticism, just need to close the gap on discipline and tackling.

@qdawgg I wasn't attacking you or your post. My apologies is my post insinuated that. My remarks were at the title of the thread, not your post. Definitely agree that the staff dropped the ball today (Offensively in the first half, Defensively in the second, specials all game) I think we all get frustrated that we aren't where we want to be yet but there is progress, albeit very slow this year.

@qdawgg I wasn't attacking you or your post. My apologies is my post insinuated that. My remarks were at the title of the thread, not your post. Definitely agree that the staff dropped the ball today (Offensively in the first half, Defensively in the second, specials all game) I think we all get frustrated that we aren't where we want to be yet but there is progress, albeit very slow this year.

Gotcha - couldn't tell b/c it was after my post. I think were all on edge after today :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom