Shooting at University of Virginia | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Shooting at University of Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s horrible on so many levels. The shooter got on the bus with classmates/ex-teammates, traveled to DC, watched a play together, rode back to campus and then opened fire?
Mental illness is the number one threat to us as a modern civilization. We can add all sorts of rules around objects, but that will not end this circumstance. There’s no rhyme or reason for these extraordinarily tragic actions, there is no explanation truly. Just plain illness with a deadly object and surely a silly reason which ticked this awful person off enough to use deadly force. My heart is broken for everyone involved.

I was having a not so good day today, but reading this has made me grateful for the overwhelmingly good things in my life.

I have a very specific take on this based on my recent experience with the University of Arizona (as I said up thread, my son is a student there and they had a homicide on campus a few weeks ago). It's not political but it does touch on issues related to on campus security. I honestly don't have any idea if I can share it based on the above, which is kind of a bummer. I guess DM me if anyone cares. If not, it's fine.
I will share that a lot of colleges are split on whether their campus security are allowed to carry handguns. It's always been a touchy subject and with some high schools as well. Obviously, it wouldn't have made a difference either way at UVA.

I will share that a lot of colleges are split on whether their campus security are allowed to carry handguns. It's always been a touchy subject and with some high schools as well. Obviously, it wouldn't have made a difference either way at UVA.
Doesn't specifically involve who is allowed to carry but more so the logistics and legality around increased security in specific parts of a campus. Again, though, unless I get an OK that this is a topic that can be covered, I wont go any further. I have no idea what has been deleted above.

I have a very specific take on this based on my recent experience with the University of Arizona (as I said up thread, my son is a student there and they had a homicide on campus a few weeks ago). It's not political but it does touch on issues related to on campus security. I honestly don't have any idea if I can share it based on the above, which is kind of a bummer. I guess DM me if anyone cares. If not, it's fine.
You can always start a thread on the OT forum.

Because the UVa campus seems like a place untouched by time, at least compared to other ACC schools.

The male students wear dress shirts, ties and khaki pants to football games.

The female students wear sun dresses and pearls.

When UVa scores a touchdown, the student body sings Auld Lang Syne.

Repurposed Auld Lang Syne

I hope I’m never in a position where I could have done something but didn’t; not sure how “witnesses that would not cooperate with the process” can live with themselves after this.
It's an entirely different culture than someone who was raised to respect authority.

Because the UVa campus seems like a place untouched by time, at least compared to other ACC schools.

The male students wear dress shirts, ties and khaki pants to football games.

The female students wear sun dresses and pearls.

When UVa scores a touchdown, the student body sings Auld Lang Syne.

My daughter is currently a second year at UVA and that game day attire doesn't really exist anymore. Also, the song the crowd sings is the UVA alma mater, that uses the same melody as Auld Lang Syne (much like SU's is the melody of a tune at the time it was written, also made famous in Dirty Dancing).

The campus has undergone quite a transformation in recent years to mark that it was built by slaves.

Sadly, a horrific tragedy like this can, and does, happen anywhere.

Mental illness is the number one threat to us as a modern civilization. We can add all sorts of rules around objects, but that will not end this circumstance. There’s no rhyme or reason for these extraordinarily tragic actions, there is no explanation truly. Just plain illness with a deadly object and surely a silly reason which ticked this awful person off enough to use deadly force. My heart is broken for everyone involved.

I was having a not so good day today, but reading this has made me grateful for the overwhelmingly good things in my life.
While what you're saying is partially true, you're wrong about the "rules around objects." If the mods are nuking posts discussing political issues I would say mine and the one I've quoted be two that should be gone. Scientifically, there are many things that can be done to curb gun violence. Unfortunately, none of them are being done (including the mental illness part of it).

FhjA0JUX0AAn4pl

Unbelievable, students should be able to feel safe in college. No matter the circumstances that led to this shooting, there should be no time where taking another’s life is the correct action.
This is 10000000000% true. At elementary school, at middle school At high school, at college, at the movies, at the mall. You should be able to feel safe in the world in most places.

How many more times will we need to hear about these situations? How many more dead kids do we need to mourn? How many families do we need to cry for? How many more prayers must we send to those suffering in the aftermath of these horrifying incidents?

I don’t know how to stop it. I don’t claim ti have a solution. But I work in a school, and to say that this worry isn’t in the back of my (and my colleagues minds) every day would be untrue. All I know is that I want to see us do something, because we shouldn’t become numb to these situations but as population it feels like we largely have because we have seen so many of these tragic incidents of disaster over the past 20 years, and it’s only gone way up in the past 5 years.

Be safe out there people of the world and get home safely to your families and friends.

This is terrrible. Heard from a friend who is close to the program that this was a “gang initiation” moment for the shooter to perform. Early signs say this “hazing” was gang related. Absolutely terrible
Shoot 5 non gang members and go to jail for 40 years?

Why is “field trip” in quotation marks?
Because I couldn’t figure out what that meant. Was unsure if it was an official university thing or not.

This is terrrible. Heard from a friend who is close to the program that this was a “gang initiation” moment for the shooter to perform. Early signs say this “hazing” was gang related. Absolutely terrible
Seriously ? No way would killing 5 college students on a chartered bus full of college students returning from a University sponsored event be a gang initiation. It does not work that way.

Last edited:
My daughter is currently a second year at UVA and that game day attire doesn't really exist anymore. Also, the song the crowd sings is the UVA alma mater, that uses the same melody as Auld Lang Syne (much like SU's is the melody of a tune at the time it was written, also made famous in Dirty Dancing).

The campus has undergone quite a transformation in recent years to mark that it was built by slaves.

Sadly, a horrific tragedy like this can, and does, happen anywhere.
And for anyone who does not remember, Scooch's daughter is the famous "rally baby" who was born on Selection Sunday in 2003.

Mental illness is the number one threat to us as a modern civilization.
Where do you read/hear that the shooter had a diagnosed mental illness? I read a background about him in the Washington Post where it talked about his upbringing in poverty and surrounded by violence but I didn't see anything about a mental illness.

Kill 3 high profile friends in a very high profile part of town that is impossible to get away from is a gang initiation? That gang is not going to last if they all end up in jail prior to being initiated.

Status
Not open for further replies.