Should Baye start on senior night? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Should Baye start on senior night?

He's gotten away from it, but he used to do it regularly (I believe Southerland got his first start on Senior Night last year, but he ended up starting for the rest of the season).

Bench players like Michael Edwards used to get the token start for the last game, then get subbed out as needed.

Start Baye as a second big. Bring in Roberson when things break down.

But what kind of tribute is that?!?

"Well, we gave you a start out of the goodness of our hearts, but now that things have broken down, Adios. Happy Senior Day."

Really?

Name another time that a non starting senior started on senior nite just because he was a senior? It's nothing against Baye.

Roy Williams does it as a tradition (even senior walkons start I think) and there are other schools that do it, UNC Charlotte is another. Was simply stating my thoughts not that JB should actually do it.

I like the tradition of wrestlers who retire leaving their shoes in the circle mat. I would wish C.J. Fair would take his sneakers off and leave them on the court for a minute as he has been the best Syracuse player for 4 years since Hakim Warrick or Gerry Mac IMO.

They'd probably T him up if he tried it.

Well, it isn't NBA either. There is something to be said about caring for guys that gave their all at the collegiate level. Starting Baye against GT at least for a few moments would show SU appreciates his efforts over the last four years and I think all seniors should start their last home game and play to the first stoppage in play regardless of their ability.

The fans can make sure he knows he is appreciated by blowing the roof off the dump when he is introduced.

But what kind of tribute is that?!?

"Well, we gave you a start out of the goodness of our hearts, but now that things have broken down, Adios. Happy Senior Day."

Really?

Perhaps that's why Boeheim doesn't do it anymore.

UNC does it and includes the walk ons.
They absolutely do. I remember watching the UNC vs Duke regular season finale a few years back and North Carolina started all seniors, including non-scholarship players.

OttoMets said:
He's gotten away from it, but he used to do it regularly (I believe Southerland got his first start on Senior Night last year, but he ended up starting for the rest of the season). Bench players like Michael Edwards used to get the token start for the last game, then get subbed out as needed. Start Baye as a second big. Bring in Roberson when things break down.
Boeheim always used to do it...Douglas, Coleman, Thompson, seikaly, McNamara, moten. All scrub Benchwarmers...all started senior night

Name another time that a non starting senior started on senior nite just because he was a senior? It's nothing against Baye.

It's kind of funny when you think about it. JB has made a habit of starting guys that often play 3-4 minutes a game total. I can remember all the way back to Ron Payton and there have been several others through the years including RC his freshman year. So with that in mind does it really matter if BMK starts against GT? That said, from a rotational perspective I hate the idea of BMK and RC playing at the same time. This team is offensively challenged as it is. We don't need two non-threats on the court at the same time. Roberson has to play. It's JB's biggest weakness as a coach-developing a bench for that rainy day.

It's kind of funny when you think about it. JB has made a habit of starting guys that often play 3-4 minutes a game total. I can remember all the way back to Ron Payton and there have been several others through the years including RC his freshman year. So with that in mind does it really matter if BMK starts against GT? That said, from a rotational perspective I hate the idea of BMK and RC playing at the same time. This team is offensively challenged as it is. We don't need two non-threats on the court at the same time. Roberson has to play. It's JB's biggest weakness as a coach-developing a bench for that rainy day.

Our problem right now due to injury, first with Baye and now Grant, is the rotations that we had settled in on. They are bigs but it had even messed up the backcourt rotation because G had had to play so much 3. The more we stay closer to the rotations we have used most of the season, the better.

Our problem right now due to injury, first with Baye and now Grant, is the rotations that we had settled in on. They are bigs but it had even messed up the backcourt rotation because G had had to play so much 3. The more we stay closer to the rotations we have used most of the season, the better.

The logical move is Roberson to replace Grant. Of course Roberson should have been getting a few minutes of PT each game for the last two months and then we would be much further down the road. The notion of putting BMK and RC on the floor at the same time is nuts.

He may not do it, but I think he should - at the very least, give Keita the option.

Agreed. Starting him puts us at a disadvantage. We need the wins.
What disadvantage? Especially if Xmas makes a defensive mistake in the first couple of minutes and gets taken out. What difference is that over Baye starting? Baye starting and playing at least 2 minutes if not to the first TV time out makes no difference than him playing 5 to 10 minutes later in the half. Heck he's averaging over 15 minutes a game. It's not like he is the 10th man.

Btw has Roc won a tip all year?

lol...it has been awhile. NC State was the last one we won. Although we should have against MD, I think that was the game where the opposing player tipped the ball pretty much as it was leaving the officials hand. Pretty sure that's illegal...

NC State, Clemson, ND, BC, VT, MIA - 6/16 in ACC play tips won.

Last edited:
it wouldn't be a big deal if he did as for as rotations. You start roc and baye but with baye on the wing(4 position) because roc can't play out there on the wing. Then you rotate in as necessary Roberson, gbinije and baye after he comes out .

Eh, I'm a fan of playing "senior night" the same as any other game. No reason to switch it up. We need the W.

The most recent instance I can think of was Michael Edwards in 1993. Was kind of surprised that McNeil didn't get that treatment in '04. It's not common practice anymore, that's for sure.

Edwards had a very unusual career path. Starter for much of his freshman and all of his sophomore year...to less minutes, but still a regular reserve off the bench as a Junior...to a complete benchwarmer as a senior.

I don't remember that ever happening to anyone else.

I think its on the team to be winning by enough that BMK and CJ get individual exits from the game with standing ovations.

It's not on JB to start them. It's on the team to win big for them.

Last edited:
OrangeDW said:
Eh, I'm a fan of playing "senior night" the same as any other game. No reason to switch it up. We need the W.

This is one of the most bizarro threads I ever read. Lots of schools start a walk on for a minute and then take him out. We are talking about Bad Mutha Keita. Not Nolan Hart or the other kid. Keita should start. Hopefully he won't get two fouls in that opening minute.♥

Start him. Baye has been pure class, a team first player of modest skills who has always given it his all...just the kind of guy who is high on the list for many on their all time favorites-- including mine.

He the kinda "kid" that every coach would want on their team. And this Cuse addict wishes could stay on the team as long as he'd like.

Reactions: cto
This is one of the most bizarro threads I ever read. Lots of schools start a walk on for a minute and then take him out. We are talking about Bad Mutha Keita. Not Nolan Hart or the other kid. Keita should start. Hopefully he won't get two fouls in that opening minute.♥

I mean...he plays a lot anyway though. I guess I don't see starting as that big of a deal when you're in the rotation anyway and often finish games. Baye is above the "token start" that scrub seniors get at some schools. If he's going to start, it should be a "real" start, and I'm not sure I like the idea of switching up like that. He's going to get the pre-game cheers from the crowd when they introduce the seniors beforehand.

My favorite part of senior day is always when the seniors get taken out of a wrapped up W to a standing O from the crowd, and I hope to see that more than anything!

What disadvantage? Especially if Xmas makes a defensive mistake in the first couple of minutes and gets taken out. What difference is that over Baye starting? Baye starting and playing at least 2 minutes if not to the first TV time out makes no difference than him playing 5 to 10 minutes later in the half. Heck he's averaging over 15 minutes a game. It's not like he is the 10th man.
The disadvantage is that he plays like he's wearing boxing gloves.

Well, Christmas is quite a bit better these days IMO. Baye might've been better 2 years ago. Last year...debatable(I'd go Christmas). This year, it's not even close. Christmas is the better player.

Though with the way he's been picking up 2 fouls before the 16 minute mark lately, I'd rather have Baye get those fouls where the refs seem to have their early game jitters and are jumpy and anticipating things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom