Should Dungey play | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Should Dungey play

Well, I am saying not if he is my kid. I would simply tell Shafer he is not playing..

Dungey is an adult. His parents can offer up their advice to their kid, but after the doctors, the choice is Dungey's.

So you're more trained than a doctor? It's a good thing you don't have a son playing college football. The amount of stuff that happens in practice and on the field is staggering. I see hits everyday that make me wonder how I ever held up for 17 seasons. That's the game, and if a doctor thinks you're good to go, you go.
Well doctors almost killed me but for my mother saying no to surgery that 3 different doctors said was the only way to go. So, you will pardon me for not believing in the infallibility of doctors.

Caution is what is called for not bravado. Parents understand that one game is not that important in the scheme of things. A bad decision cannot be corrected.

Yeah, right.

yeah right what? he's not making his own decisions?

if my parents said you cant play lacrosse anymore because you had a concussion, I'd say yeah right.

the kid isn't in pee wees anymore. he's surely calling his own shots as ANY one of us would be at the same age. Don't tell me Crusty YOU would sit down at the same age because your parents told you to.

That's all well and good. Hell, my wife refuses to ever let my son play football because of the head injuries, so I'll almost certainly never have this sort of personal decision.

But again - the people whose kid this IS, will absolutely want him on the field whenever he's cleared.
Another wise wife. As for the Dungeys, that is their prerogative.

Another wise wife. As for the Dungeys, that is their prerogative.

Exactly. And again - to reiterate - I don't think he should have been out there. But his parents fully support it. So why are we all having this conversation? The family is 100% fine with it. Why are we still trying to tell them what they should think?

yeah right what? he's not making his own decisions?

if my parents said you cant play lacrosse anymore because you had a concussion, I'd say yeah right.
And if I refuse to sign your college forms?
And if I object in writing to the coaching staff and they ignore it the legal department will have their butts.

Exactly. And again - to reiterate - I don't think he should have been out there. But his parents fully support it. So why are we all having this conversation? The family is 100% fine with it. Why are we still trying to tell them what they should think?

Because dude, as Americans we have the RIGHT nowadays to dictate how other people live and what decisions they make. Shoot there are some people who will probably call CPS on the Dungey's if they allow him to keep playing.

And if I refuse to sign your college forms?
And if I object in writing to the coaching staff and they ignore it the legal department will have their butts.

what?

Because it is a fan board. We second guess everything!

That's all well and good. Hell, my wife refuses to ever let my son play football because of the head injuries, so I'll almost certainly never have this sort of personal decision.

But again - the people whose kid this IS, will absolutely want him on the field whenever he's cleared.
The risk of injury in youth football is extremely low.

I was involved over a 7 yr. period with a large youth football program in Bethesda, MD. It was at the "Select" or most competitive level. For four years I was the Adminstrative officer.

The club fielded five teams in five different weight classes up to 120lbs. There were about 20 players per team or 100 boys a year. We played about 10 games a year and had practices 5 days a week from mid-August to Mid-November. In a seven year period I was there the five teams combined played about 350 games and had over 2ooo team practices.

During that seven year period during practices and games, we had two injuries ... a dislocated hip and a broken finger.

The kids, however, did get hurt. It invariably happened before practice started with kids climbing on playground equipment or trees or playing a rough game they called "Maul Ball" without pads, helmets or supervision. You know, the stuff athletic boys do when left to themselves. Once practice started, the risk of injury fell to zero.

Parent's who are spooked by injury myths are denying their sons a great athletic and character building experience.

I had trouble getting them to pick up their rooms. These coaches had them in goal line stands in the driving rain and enjoying it.

The danger is --- if you can call it one --- is that many will then want to play high school football, which is more dangerous and some will play in college.

Parent's who are spooked by injury myths are denying their sons a great athletic and character building experience.

I had trouble getting them to pick up their rooms. These coaches had them in goal line stands in the driving rain and enjoying it.

The danger is --- if you can call it one --- is that many will then want to play high school football, which is more dangerous and some will play in college.

Well, I think you can achieve other great athletic and character building experiences. Assuming my son winds up being into sports, I'm crossing my fingers he plays basketball. And I'll just decide not to tell my wife that soccer players get concussions almost as frequently as football players.

If my son IS into sports of course, I think we might have a tough time keeping him out of football since we live in Texas.

As much as I love football, literally unending devotion to the game, let me say this: I'm extremely happy that the good lord blessed me with a daughter.

Having been around the game for 26 years in some capacity, I can't say without a shadow of a doubt how I would direct a son.

As much as I love football, literally unending devotion to the game, let me say this: I'm extremely happy that the good lord blessed me with a daughter.

Having been around the game for 26 years in some capacity, I can't say without a shadow of a doubt how I would direct a son.
You still have time to find out. ;)

Well, I think you can achieve other great athletic and character building experiences. Assuming my son winds up being into sports, I'm crossing my fingers he plays basketball. And I'll just decide not to tell my wife that soccer players get concussions almost as frequently as football players.

If my son IS into sports of course, I think we might have a tough time keeping him out of football since we live in Texas.
I'm telling.

Doesn't change the fact that the medical staff makes that call, and, are trained to do so.
as a parent, and someone who has worked with brain trauma patients, i would want to SPEAK with the physicians who make that call. i want to know detail not just yes he can play. i have worked professionally with md's in that field and like every other profession there are good ones and not so good ones.

as a parent, and someone who has worked with brain trauma patients, i would want to SPEAK with the physicians who make that call. i want to know detail not just yes he can play. i have worked professionally with md's in that field and like every other profession there are good ones and not so good ones.
I would also want a second opinion.

Finwad32 said:
As much as I love football, literally unending devotion to the game, let me say this: I'm extremely happy that the good lord blessed me with a daughter. Having been around the game for 26 years in some capacity, I can't say without a shadow of a doubt how I would direct a son.
It's a horrible position. It's the game I loved most. I had a string of concussions. I hope to no long term effect. But that and a painful body every day? . Golf it is!

Who says they can't?

Who says they can't?
not plugging into you argument---my response was to the statement the doctors make that call. i already assume as the parents they can (and should) speak with the md's---they probably have already done so

tipphill said:
not plugging into you argument---my response was to the statement the doctors make that call. i already assume as the parents they can (and should) speak with the md's---they probably have already done so

If Eric lets them, I think.

If Eric lets them, I think.
absolutely, the guy has a head on his shoulders, at this point.we are not talking a broken limb, he knows that. it is incumbent upon the physicians to make him aware of all the rest---informed consent

Just curious. For argument's sake let's say that ED is cleared to play and decides he wants to play vs. Clemson on Saturday.

Given what you have witnessed so far this season, how likely is it that ED will play four years at SU without getting a serious, career-ending injury? Or enough injuries and concussions that he will give the game up?

He is runs standing pretty much straight up and other than slide he has no running back skills to protect himself. He may be able to add 20 lbs. But I'm not sure that would have helped him in the hits he took vs. CMU of FSU.

The risk of injury in youth football is extremely low.

I was involved over a 7 yr. period with a large youth football program in Bethesda, MD. It was at the "Select" or most competitive level. For four years I was the Adminstrative officer.

The club fielded five teams in five different weight classes up to 120lbs. There were about 20 players per team or 100 boys a year. We played about 10 games a year and had practices 5 days a week from mid-August to Mid-November. In a seven year period I was there the five teams combined played about 350 games and had over 2ooo team practices.

During that seven year period during practices and games, we had two injuries ... a dislocated hip and a broken finger.

The kids, however, did get hurt. It invariably happened before practice started with kids climbing on playground equipment or trees or playing a rough game they called "Maul Ball" without pads, helmets or supervision. You know, the stuff athletic boys do when left to themselves. Once practice started, the risk of injury fell to zero.

The only problem with that is that time can be used towards lax, baseball, golf (I know...) or other sports.

The issue with football is that it's a low ceiling type of thing. Would rather not have my son out there against DeMatha getting rung up by some ACC / BiG recruit when he can be hitting fastballs or doing a lifetime sport like golf or tennis.