Should Syracuse and Georgetown end the regular season going forward? | Syracusefan.com

Should Syracuse and Georgetown end the regular season going forward?

Alsacs

Living Legend
Since the Big East is expanding to 11 teams next year with UConn and the ACC has 15 teams that means one team from each conference will get every weekend off. It rotates every week during conference play.
My question is since we are playing Georgetown as a nonconference game should the two schools ask their conferences to make the last weekend of the conference their week with no conference weekend game and end the regular season with each other?

It would be a nice thing IMO. We would get a nice chance to the end the season with a nonconference win and it would help atleast give the rivalry some juice if we are going to play it.
Some of my favorite memories as a kid were the regular season ending games with Georgetown at the Dome.

Wildhack and GU AD if they like this idea should go their conferences as it wouldn't even be a problem since it kinda sucks that one team will have to have the last weekend off each year.

Since the Big East is expanding to 11 teams next year with UConn and the ACC has 15 teams that means one team from each conference will get every weekend off. It rotates every week during conference play.
My question is since we are playing Georgetown as a nonconference game should the two schools ask their conferences to make the last weekend of the conference their week with no conference weekend game and end the regular season with each other?

It would be a nice thing IMO. We would get a nice chance to the end the season with a nonconference win and it would help atleast give the rivalry some juice if we are going to play it.
Some of my favorite memories as a kid were the regular season ending games with Georgetown at the Dome.

Wildhack and GU AD if they like this idea should go their conferences as it wouldn't even be a problem since it kinda sucks that one team will have to have the last weekend off each year.
That's interesting. But not sure I like it. I think it'll get "lost" in the rush to finish strong in the conference (both leagues). I'd guess the players would also be "meh" about the timing.

That's interesting. But not sure I like it. I think it'll get "lost" in the rush to finish strong in the conference (both leagues). I'd guess the players would also be "meh" about the timing.
I don't see that. It would be like college football SEC-ACC season ending rivalry games.
Those games matter to each fanbase and they know they still have their conference football championship games potentially the following week.
It's just they know to start every season they are ending the regular season with a nonconference game.

Ending with Georgetown wouldn't impact our chances at the ACC championship we would just being playing a nonconference rivalry game to end the season and not have a bye weekend earlier during the conference play.

I like it. Or at least playing the game in February. I miss the old non conference February games.

That would be good.
I wish there was more OOC play intermingled in January and February between the better conferences (say 4 extra games). Move 4 more conference games to December.

This would actually make the tournament more fair.
What happens now is that most of the "skeleton" of the tournament is already determined by January 1, since OOC is done and as a whole a conference can do nothing to improve themselves.

I like the ideas in this thread. Have the last Saturday of the regular season be a Rivalry day, and also have non-conference games played in Jan/Feb. Have teams schedule the cupcake games in November/early December, and non-conference tournaments played after Final Exams in December.

It would be easier to do if the Big East was a TV partner with ESPN instead of Fox. Does ESPN want to possibly feature a game the last week of the regular season where the opponent is a Fox school? Or vice versa?

Assuming the Big East doesn’t add another program shortly to get to 12, I could see this happening. Especially with JB playing such a big role in basketball scheduling. He appears to value the rivalry greatly.

I love this idea. I had the same experience growing up in Syracuse and looking forward to that season ending battle with the Hoyas in the Dome, almost always a game between two top 10 or at least top 25 teams. I get chills thinking about the excitement and memories of those games in the 80s and early 90s.

Last edited:
Interesting idea.

Although I prefer an idea that's been kicked around before.
The Old School Showdown (TOSS).
Syracuse and Pitt come into MSG for a game each against (pardon the language) G-town and UConn.
Can do it Christmas week and get two sold-out nights in the Garden.

we really haven't been able to establish a true rival in the ACC. i could be happy with a final showdown with the hoyas every year.

It sounds like a neat idea. I think the two conference front offices would appreciate not having to come up with a rotation of who's off that weekend.

It would be easier to do if the Big East was a TV partner with ESPN instead of Fox. Does ESPN want to possibly feature a game the last week of the regular season where the opponent is a Fox school? Or vice versa?

Assuming the Big East doesn’t add another program shortly to get to 12, I could see this happening. Especially with JB playing such a big role in basketball scheduling. He appears to value the rivalry greatly.
I don't think the TV stuff is a huge problem for ESPN since they're already used to having it happen with the ACC/SEC football games. Plus, it's no change from the split/rotation/(similar word) that happens now when you play earlier in the year.

Nostalgia....This would be a real throw back. We should see if we can get Mitchell & Ness to promote it.

Actually I like the idea a lot, at least as a counter for our lack of meaningless end of season ACC games the last few years.

How about a slightly different take on Col. Bleep's idea.

An early season MSG tournament featuring - SU, Villanova, Gtown and UConn. Problem is now that UConn is back in the Big East, not sure how you'd sell the three Big East teams on possibly playing two non-conference games against conference opponents.

Love the idea of the idea of closing the season with Georgetown for a couple of years. I suspect it would get old fast, especially in a year like this year where it would essentially be a glorified early NIT game.

It sounds like a neat idea. I think the two conference front offices would appreciate not having to come up with a rotation of who's off that weekend.

I don't think the TV stuff is a huge problem for ESPN since they're already used to having it happen with the ACC/SEC football games. Plus, it's no change from the split/rotation/(similar word) that happens now when you play earlier in the year.

Pitt is off this year. Ga Tech was off last year. Pitt was off the year before that. I think the ACC already figured out its' rotation. :D

Pitt is off this year. Ga Tech was off last year. Pitt was off the year before that. I think the ACC already figured out its' rotation. :D

It's not fair that BC can't be part of that rotation.

Not exactly the same thing. Disney televises a ton of SEC stuff. They are partners with the SEC on the SECN.

Disney has no relationship any longer with the Big East. I agree it could be overcome and if both leagues stay at an odd number of teams for a while, it is something that could benefit both sides.

Nostalgia...This would be a real throw back. We should see if we can get Mitchell & Ness to promote it.

Actually I like the idea a lot, at least as a counter for our lack of meaningless end of season ACC games the last few years.

How about a slightly different take on Col. Bleep's idea.

An early season MSG tournament featuring - SU, Villanova, Gtown and UConn. Problem is now that UConn is back in the Big East, not sure how you'd sell the three Big East teams on possibly playing two non-conference games against conference opponents.

Love the idea of the idea of closing the season with Georgetown for a couple of years. I suspect it would get old fast, especially in a year like this year where it would essentially be a glorified early NIT game.
You could make it a simple doubleheader, otherwise you'd probably have to give up going to tournaments like Maui, the Bahamas, etc., to keep within the NCAA's limit on the number of regular season games. That's why conference tournaments don't have consolation games like the holiday tournaments do.

Well when I was forming my rabid Syracuse Hoops fanaticism we would play late season Non-Conference games every year. Kentucky on 2-12-1994 comes to mind.

I am all for this.

Well when I was forming my rabid Syracuse Hoops fanaticism we would play late season Non-Conference games every year. Kentucky on 2-12-1994 comes to mind.

I am all for this.
Growing up with season tickets there was always a mid season non conference game. Was always home and away. Louisville in 86 &87, Michigan, Kentucky, Notre Dame, even in 03 we played at MSU.

I like this idea. I think finishing the season with Georgetown will help bring back some of the excitement of the rivalry. If the teams are having a bad season then they can play for bragging rights. But what I'm really thinking of is a ranked matchup between the two teams to end the season. That would be awesome.

Especially with JB playing such a big role in basketball scheduling. He appears to value the rivalry greatly.

He does, I think, but not as much as he values ending non-conference play before the new year. He's the reason we stopped pursuing those fun home-and-homes.

It's too bad, I love this idea. Would be a lot of fun since we're in a league with no rivals and not much relevance.

Terrible gimicky behavior to cement ourselves as second class ACC seasons no way.

Georgetown games have sucked since we left the BE and they care about them more than us. Dead rivalry. I’d rather not play them annually. Occasional home and home and maybe an MSG game. Makes our non conference so boring since we don’t schedule any blue bloods as a result to play on our campuses.

We just need another year like 2014 to reclaim our spot in the conference. Ville and UVA have it with FSU making a push but it just takes one good season. If we nail the next hire we’ll be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom