Should there even be a '21 National Championship? | Syracusefan.com

Should there even be a '21 National Championship?

JustSayin

Usually in the Classroom
Maybe its just sour grapes and I might be in the minority, but I wonder if the NCAA should have cancelled the National Championship. Here is my logic.

1. Covid put a damper on last season, shortened fall ball and to top it off shortened this season's Spring practice sessions for some schools, but not others.
2. The NCAA allowed, via the transfer portal, schools to cherry pick the best players from the Ivies, creating super teams.

These two reasons put many schools at a disadvantage against the schools with longer practice schedules and that heavily recruited the best Ivy league players.

So, arguments against my logic might be that Syracuse did pick up a couple of transfers, which is true, but had the same opportunity as any other school to recruit the top players from the Ivy league and the university could have also extended the practice sessions to match the other ACC schools. But the ACC practice schedules were definately not the equitable. Gee, if memory serves me, some of the ACC schools played up to 4 games before SU opened their season. I suppose if SU had a much better record would I still feel this way? Maybe? I guess I'll never know. I look forward to a more equitable season next year.

i agree. it would've been better for the players if they didn't have a national championship.

and a lot of this isn't fair.

Football and basketball were even worse. Look at the strings that were being pulled to try to get Ohio State and Oregon into the playoff.

Will always be inequities that have to be dealt with.

Grateful for Cuse to have a season uninterrupted by c-19 despite the mentioned disadvantages

The transfer portal is here to stay and could be to our disadvantage this year. Life aint fair.

There should be a national championship. and the winner should be recognized as any other .

I will go a step further and say I think every championship should be cancelled when it is clear SU is out of the running. So, as soon as we lose a tourney game, tourney over. If we don't make a tourney, season over. Once we lose a football game, season over...

It does sound like sour grapes.
The only transfer that bothers me is the mid-season one of TD Ierlan to Denver.

I think once you start talking about the transfers, you really need to include the 5th year seniors who got an extra year of eligibility also.

I think having the NCAA championship this year is an outstanding choice after missing out last season; getting things going again.

Besides, we wouldn't want the Wahoos claiming they were reigning champions for another season, unless they actually win it this spring.

I will go a step further and say I think every championship should be cancelled when it is clear SU is out of the running. So, as soon as we lose a tourney game, tourney over. If we don't make a tourney, season over. Once we lose a football game, season over...
Sign me up.

tfw GIF

so because syracuse stinks you want to cancel the season? LOL. have to semi-respect that

lot of teams didn't have normal practice or offseason schedules
Maybe part of it is attributed to my disappointment in SU's on field performance, but I wouldn't say "stinks." They have the talent, just not playing inspired. Much of my thinking revolves around the lack of adquate practice time and the Ivy leagues decision to cancel their season. Takes away the opportunity for Cornell, Princeton and Yale to compete, adding balance to the tournament, guessing all three could have made it. I feel sorry for the students who had to play (or not) under these inconsistent conditions.

Maybe part of it is attributed to my disappointment in SU's on field performance, but I wouldn't say "stinks." They have the talent, just not playing inspired. Much of my thinking revolves around the lack of adquate practice time and the Ivy leagues decision to cancel their season. Takes away the opportunity for Cornell, Princeton and Yale to compete, adding balance to the tournament, guessing all three could have made it. I feel sorry for the students who had to play (or not) under these inconsistent conditions.
i am hopeful you will be an advocate for all teams not starting practices most years until the ivies do on feb 1 ( as the cuse plays them early season).

and then that schools can only take in transfers in at the average ivy pace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom