Shrader with real weird late game energy | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Shrader with real weird late game energy

Yeah, we've needed the opponent defense to do dumb things to give us a spark. Last week, it was hitting Shrader out of bounds. Last night, it was a completely unnecessary facemask.

We'd look a lot different without those flags.
Yeah like 2-2 instead of 4-0

I think we need to make a few changes. I would move Jackson back inside and use the bigger bodied Cooper outside. Jackson had a good season last year and isn't the same this year. I would make it easy fro Shrader by giving him in the middle Gadsden deep and Jackson underneath. We also need to force him to dump it more to Tucker.

I think we also need to throw it long to Alford once a game. Just throw it as far as you can just to show it. But this brings the sideline throw issue to light. Shrader's outside throws are far from accurate. More often they land out of bounds. Heck even that last drive we needed a nice catch from Tucker. We went from never using the middle of the field to only being able to use the middle of the field.

I think that was his point. Dungey was great, but he did maddening things sometimes. Both can be true. Despite the criticisms people are stating about Shrader, some quite legitimate, he's a playmaker and a winner.
Nunes did maddening things.

I don't recall Dungey making a lot of mental mistakes.

Shrader has been terrific.

The pick six to open against Miami because he didn't look before he threw was one.

I, nor the poster you responded to, are saying Dungey wasn't a legend or that Shrader isn't terrific. Great players can sometimes do crazy things. Sometimes it's part of makes them great.

The pick six to open against Miami because he didn't look before he threw was one.

I, nor the poster you responded to, are saying Dungey wasn't a legend or that Shrader isn't terrific. Great players can sometimes do crazy things. Sometimes it's part of makes them great.

Dungey was downright dreadful in that Miami game.

Here’s hoping Beck & Anae can get Garrett’s head cleared up, get him back to making quick, smart decisions (like he did vs Llvll & UCannt) vs Wagner for a half, then let CDRW get a ton of reps in the 2nd half.

With good reason this board looks at Dungey as a legend but some tend to overlook the fact that he could be inconsistent. For example, he was dreadful in the UNC game where Dino ultimately replaced him with Devito. His next game against NCST may have been one of his best, probably because Dungey was the ultimate competitor, and rose to the challenge of Devito potentially replacing him. I believe Shrader has that same competitive fire and hopefully he uses some of the negatives from the past couple of games to elevate his game the way Dungey did.

If Nunes would have stuck to being Nunes, instead of trying to be McNabb, he would have been fine.

Last edited:
I love Shrader’s leadership, competitiveness and ability to make clutch plays. But last night I really thought his decision making was abysmal, especially down the stretch. He had a free play and ate a sack. That should not happen. Then he ran backwards and took another sack rather than getting rid of the ball.
I remember that Dungey was having and even worse game than this vs UNC, and was literally pulled for Tommy because it was either switch QBs or lose that game.

If Wagner goes the way it should, CDRW will get to play most of the second half anyway. BTW when Dino says CDWR is just barely understanding the offense at this point, he's serious. CDRW did play at UConn.

Dungey threw at INT on the first possession at LSU. Set them up for an easy TD from inside the 5.

A couple thoughts here:

• Shrader has been at the helm and we've moved the football. We're putting up nearly 400 yds/game in offense which I don't believe we've done in a while. Some of the little things -- making the correct read on the read option, keeping a play alive with your feet, checking into the right play -- Shrader appears to be doing, which is a good thing.
  • It's worth also noting that our run blocking hasn't been particularly good. As much as we want to and will talk about Shrader, if we were running the ball a bit more effectively some of this discussion would be moot.
  • Footwork is an important part of all this and I don't love the way Shrader moves to buy time within the pocket. He tends to move himself to spots that make it tougher to throw. So he's hesitating on that first or second look, then finding himself in a tough spot to throw and not a great spot to use his athleticism to escape.
  • CDRW is an interesting athlete/QB prospect. I don't think it's crazy to wonder if ultimately he's the better option here. But at this point Shrader has been the primary QB for about 14 games. We're 8-6 in those games and three of those losses were last year on the road to FSU and at home to Clemson and Wake. All three by a field goal. 8-6 represents marked improvement for this program in a 14-game stretch and being in all but 2 or 3 games (depending on how you view Pitt last year) means it would be really tough to make a switch until we see some really negative things happening on the field.
Bottom line for me is they need two things: 1. better run blocking to balance out the offense and 2. Shrader to make good, confident decisions in the pocket. He's never going to be artistically pretty but, he is a pretty effective QB when he's healthy and confident. Need to help him out with the run game and keep working on his decision-making/confidence.

I remember that Dungey was having and even worse game than this vs UNC, and was literally pulled for Tommy because it was either switch QBs or lose that game.

If Wagner goes the way it should, CDRW will get to play most of the second half anyway. BTW when Dino says CDWR is just barely understanding the offense at this point, he's serious. CDRW did play at UConn.
I'm not saying if CD-RW comes in he's going to be Willie Beamen, where he doesn't know the plays but is just such a raw athlete he's unstoppable, but I... actually, that's exactly what I'm saying.

Also I could totally see Dino giving the "inches all around us" speech.

Also, LL Cool J. Just cuz.

If Nunes would have stuck to being Numes, instead of trying to be McNabb, he would have been fine.
He was a solid QB and made it more like a 3 Stooges skit when he scrambled trying to do too much.

Sometimes you just make a bad play and sometimes the opponent makes a very good one...even that Purdue QB screwed up trying to do too much. The better players just do it far less and the crazy ones like Shrader and Dungey sometimes try to do too much because they often can get away with it, it's when they don't is when it stings like heck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom