Shy’s grade | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Shy’s grade

I think they do, but can't really praise it because the players will start to think their gap assignment isn't really that important. For long term success, they have to stress each player needs to cover his gap. Give an attaboy for effort but critique the decision.

oh i agree. in really really simplistic form I'd envision, "you're deducted 3 points for leaving your assignment but you earn a helmet sticker (1pt) for making a play." :)

Football coaches crack me up. They think they can control every single little nuance- well if the players all just did their job every single play that guy wouldn’t have busted one for 60 yards and we wouldn’t have given up 72 points.

Players have to adapt to what is happening in front of them not in some idealized world of Xs and Os.

There was a play in the first half where UNC I believe ran a stretch run to the right side. The RB was about 5 yards past the line of scrimmage, with one of our LB's closing in on him from the left (couldn't tell who). The LB proceeded to run past the RB as he was cutting left in order to engage a blocker downfield. I was flabbergasted that he would engage the blocker instead of making a play on the ball carrier, but I thought that it must be what he has been taught to do. :confused:

Pro Football Focus. They post some on twitter. 75 is a pretty good grade, with their metric. 90 is exceptional. 80's are standout. - for PFF. Looks like the coaches have their own system. I have to guess those #'s are available for those with a membership to PFF.

PFF, that’s it. Those are the grades the local paper used to include in an article. Even OL.

This probably had already been noted, but I remember an excellent open field punt return tackle by shy.

This week Shy got an 80 for his grade. This week he only had one play where he wasn’t in his gap he was supposed to be. It was a play Guthrie came in and made a stop on the running back. Most of this weeks runs were to the other side of where Shy was lining up. He did have one play he ran the running back down from behind and made the tackle at the line... I think the back got dinged up on that one. He also had a tackle on the qb that he dove into a gap that wasn’t his it was the qb sneak that unfortunatly did pick up the first down. One thing that encouraged me any where is he has been told he needs to be more aggressive next week. Shy being aggressive and going hard into gaps and getting into the back field will be a good thing I think. Hopefully we can get him blitzing more. He had a few last week but they were strech plays to the other side.

I live for the day Shy gets a free run at a QB. He will recreate that hit against Rutgers a few years back (Spruill maybe?) where the QB basically died and we got a nice fumble return for six. It was a monstrous hit and definitely became a gif around here for awhile

I live for the day Shy gets a free run at a QB. He will recreate that hit against Rutgers a few years back (Spruill maybe?) where the QB basically died and we got a nice fumble return for six. It was a monstrous hit and definitely became a gif around here for awhile

Doug Hogue had a massive hit too. There was one game in the dome that Rutgers QB called for life support between quarters.

Dyshawn Davis blew up a RB immediately after handoff... one of the best, cleanest hits I’ve ever seen live.

Ri’Shard Anderson took the fumble recovery to the house.

This one?
RUTGERSCRUSHED.gif

Yes that’s the one I was thinking of. But I really thought it was a QB. Either way that hit will live in SU lore forever.

Time for Shy to rip a freshman QBs head off and create a new hit for the ages

Dyshawn Davis on their rb. Thankfully Shy’s got a much better head on his shoulders.

Dyshawn Davis on their rb. Thankfully Shy’s got a much better head on his shoulders.

I'd like to see Shy become known in SU lore as another fearsome tackler in the mold of Donovan Darius and Dyshawn Davis. The kind where RBs and QBs and anyone coming over the middle are always looking for #24, and hearing hard charging footsteps makes them go into a fetal-position! I want to see Shy on an ESPN Top-10 countdown creating the T.O. that wins us a game! Hey, why the hell not, right?

I assume that is a pic of your son - looks very LBackerish. I also assume he isn't one of the ones that posters are complaining about have trouble tackling big backs.

Agression is the new buzz word in sports, even tennis players are using it.

This week Shy got an 80 for his grade. This week he only had one play where he wasn’t in his gap he was supposed to be. It was a play Guthrie came in and made a stop on the running back. Most of this weeks runs were to the other side of where Shy was lining up. He did have one play he ran the running back down from behind and made the tackle at the line... I think the back got dinged up on that one. He also had a tackle on the qb that he dove into a gap that wasn’t his it was the qb sneak that unfortunatly did pick up the first down. One thing that encouraged me any where is he has been told he needs to be more aggressive next week. Shy being aggressive and going hard into gaps and getting into the back field will be a good thing I think. Hopefully we can get him blitzing more. He had a few last week but they were strech plays to the other side.

I assume that is a pic of your son - looks very LBackerish. I also assume he isn't one of the ones that posters are complaining about have trouble tackling big backs.

Agression is the new buzz word in sports, even tennis players are using it.
Yes that is Shy in the picture. He has only really gotten a shot the last 2 weeks... he had some late game play in a few games but really getting involved only the last 2 weeks. Hasn’t really been tested too much against tackling backs yet. I think he will be good when that time comes... but we will see

Yes that is Shy in the picture. He has only really gotten a shot the last 2 weeks... he had some late game play in a few games but really getting involved only the last 2 weeks. Hasn’t really been tested too much against tackling backs yet. I think he will be good when that time comes... but we will see
Bam maybe we are seeing the benefits of being more aggressive at the los. That’s awesome he has green light to go. I hope we are keeping u guys next year. We need him. Kinda think Shy Richards and Armstrong might be studdly unit out there.

Bam maybe we are seeing the benefits of being more aggressive at the los. That’s awesome he has green light to go. I hope we are keeping u guys next year. We need him. Kinda think Shy Richards and Armstrong might be studdly unit out there.
Well I can tell you he is much happier playing... he was really excited he got so much time in the first half

You know, even on the replay it's hard to see where DD came from. It's like he just suddenly appeared in the backfield with bad intentions.
It's like a video game glitch - ^^X>>Y and the LB appears in the backfield.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom