Shy’s grade | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Shy’s grade

So shy in his past limited mol up time grades got a 95 in those games. Usually the grade given by the coaches is low to mid 80’s. Zaire and Paris used to grade out mostly 86 to 89. So while 75 isn’t the end of the world it is low compared to most grades.

Awesome insight. I was excited to see Shy get his chance on Saturday and like the rest here I think he passed the eye test. Also, understand the need for coaching everyone to know and hit their assignments. Always have to remember feedback is a gift and as long as the coaches are giving it they care.

Please feel free to ignore, as I appreciate all your posting tremendously, but is there any summation of how the score is calculated? I'm genuinely curious and not just for Shy, but for the team. Also, and just stating what may be obvious, but I would assume a 75 for someone that has been getting reps all year versus a 75 for someone that is coming in somewhat cold shouldn't be equal. Also seems odd he'd compliment him on his aggressiveness but ding him for what I'd consider being aggressive (but maybe that's my misinterpretation). I'd love to see these plotted out and cut the data up. I guess that ain't happening though.

Anyway, hope Shy gets some more burn. At the end of the day my feeling is that what we were doing wasn't working and we needed to increase the rotation. Hope it keeps that way.
They are graded on lining up correctly, gap assignment, hustle and plays made. I’m not sure how each part is scored but that is the overall scoring

They are graded on lining up correctly, gap assignment, hustle and plays made. I’m not sure how each part is scored but that is the overall scoring
I think he forced a interception turn, did that not increase his grade, apparently not.

I wish they would post grades for all the players like that. Eric Dungey gets his stats put in the paper for everyone to see. If Tommy DeVito's are better, we know it. Shouldn't the linemen in front of him be credited or discredited in the same way? We don't know how Shy's 75% compares to the other linebackers. Is it good, bad or mediocre? The write-up shows that the grade stat doesn't really cover his entire performance but what stat does?

Didn’t the paper used to have player grades years ago?

Was just rewatching the game again. I didn’t realize Shy was only in 22 plays at line backer. That’s of a possible 94 plays. He played only 2 plays in the third quarter. So I’m sure the infractions I listed had a bigger impact as they would weigh more against a low total. I don’t think I realized it was that small a sample as he plays so much special teams. That said I like his 5 tackles 4 solo the hurry up on the interception his qb hit and what should have been a tackle for loss ( he didn’t get credit for stopping the kid half a yard short for some reason) even more. Considering whit and Guthrie played almost every play again I like shys 25% tackles to snaps lol

I think he forced a interception turn, did that not increase his grade, apparently not.
I think it helps on plays made but may not weigh as much in grading as gap assignment... not sure

The criteria listed contains inherently subjective assessments (i.e. hustle, plays made [how credit is parceled out among players])

Is it possible he was graded harder to motivate him? Wanting him to feel good about getting in there and contributing, but keeping his focus on doing more/getting better?

I obviously don't know, just a thought. Sort of the related to that idea of you are harder on those you want to push to get more out of.

The criteria listed contains inherently subjective assessments (i.e. hustle, plays made [how credit is parceled out among players])

Is it possible he was graded harder to motivate him? Wanting him to feel good about getting in there and contributing, but keeping his focus on doing more/getting better?

I obviously don't know, just a thought. Sort of the related to that idea of you are harder on those you want to push to get more out of.
Possible. I watched the game again tonite ( at least the defense) given how few plays he was actually in and his acknowledging his mistakes I’d say the grade is close. Again like you said hard to know when some of it is opinion not flat fact

Then there was another play where he hit the kid throwing the ball that forced the kid to throw the interception. This was another play he said he left his assignment when he saw what was coming and made the play. Again I agree... right decision.

If he had stayed with his assignment, would he have graded out higher on that play?

Because, if he had, it would likely have been 6 for them.

Thanks for sharing, Bam.

For others - What's the point in getting upset over a qualitative grade given to a player by his own coaches, likely for teaching purposes only?

This is what interests me. I've noticed on at least a few occasions where there have been long runs that it looked like the safety (Foster on a couple occasions, Cisco on another) filled the wrong gap. I wonder if he actually filled his assignment, but because of that the RB broke loose? Just shows that we have no idea who is really up. Hell maybe it's on the DC?

I think Rahme used to do that based on his pre-game chats with Marrone about his game plan.

Those were awesome articles.

Believe that sort of grading ran as recently as last season based on some third-party service that provided the analysis.

I have't noticed it this season.

Was just rewatching the game again. I didn’t realize Shy was only in 22 plays at line backer. That’s of a possible 94 plays. He played only 2 plays in the third quarter. So I’m sure the infractions I listed had a bigger impact as they would weigh more against a low total. I don’t think I realized it was that small a sample as he plays so much special teams. That said I like his 5 tackles 4 solo the hurry up on the interception his qb hit and what should have been a tackle for loss ( he didn’t get credit for stopping the kid half a yard short for some reason) even more. Considering whit and Guthrie played almost every play again I like shys 25% tackles to snaps lol

Basic statistics: the smaller the sample the more likely you are to have am extreme or misleading result.

I’m not so sure BWardDCord wants us rating him...

I really don't see how Ward would care. He gave the grade and I'm sure if he even cared what we thought he could justify it.

So shy in his past limited mol up time grades got a 95 in those games. Usually the grade given by the coaches is low to mid 80’s. Zaire and Paris used to grade out mostly 86 to 89. So while 75 isn’t the end of the world it is low compared to most grades.

That's a measuring stick, but not a great barometer to compare him to -- given that Zaire was a four year starter / Bennett was a 3 year starter and the most instinctive playmaker of the LB group. There's no shame in not grading out as high as an experienced tandem like that in his first game seeing significant snaps.

He'll get there. This was an important first step toward Shy seeing the field / mixing into the LB rotation over this next year and a half.

That's interesting to me since the D gave up an alarming amount of points last year.

Believe that sort of grading ran as recently as last season based on some third-party service that provided the analysis.

I have't noticed it this season.
Pro Football Focus. They post some on twitter. 75 is a pretty good grade, with their metric. 90 is exceptional. 80's are standout. - for PFF. Looks like the coaches have their own system. I have to guess those #'s are available for those with a membership to PFF.

So Ward grades people on more where their gap is instead of stopping a run? This makes sense.
To be fair I would say (without knowing for sure) the assignment would be a negative but the grade would increase for hustle and made play in that case

To be fair I would say (without knowing for sure) the assignment would be a negative but the grade would increase for hustle and made play in that case
I'm definitely not super knowledgeable about the ins and outs. I don't recognize in depth what is happening or should be happening on the field. but as a fan I take notice of who makes good plays and who makes bad plays. That being said MY GRADE (which is way more important than ward's) for shy is 88. I thought, as a fan, he played really well. He and Iffy stood out to me on the defensive side of the ball. he made crucial plays that would have sealed our fate. Congrats to Shy and yourself. He was fun to watch.

I'm definitely not super knowledgeable about the ins and outs. I don't recognize in depth what is happening or should be happening on the field. but as a fan I take notice of who makes good plays and who makes bad plays. That being said MY GRADE (which is way more important than ward's) for shy is 88. I thought, as a fan, he played really well. He and Iffy stood out to me on the defensive side of the ball. he made crucial plays that would have sealed our fate. Congrats to Shy and yourself. He was fun to watch.
Thanks! I am a lot harder than most on him. That 20 yard run he heard about all night at dinner. and there was another play where he got turned and should have crushed the running back 5 yards back. I am hoping he gets more time this week. As he gets more comfortable his hits will become much harder. He loves to punish people when he gets the chance.

That’s crazy to me a player is downgraded if he leaves his assignment to make a play, the right play. They must take this into consideration no?
I think they do, but can't really praise it because the players will start to think their gap assignment isn't really that important. For long term success, they have to stress each player needs to cover his gap. Give an attaboy for effort but critique the decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom