Shy Cullen to the Supplemental Draft | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Shy Cullen to the Supplemental Draft

The whole story of you actually want it is he was late getting signed up for his internship. He signed up with one place but couldn’t make the hours work. He switched to a different place in late October. He did not get enough hours. He had planned to do most them in December but with practice for the bowl and his other classes he didn’t get enough hours. Still his fault don’t get me wrong. Unfortunately it was the only class counting as progressing towards his degree.. he would have taken psychology in the spring as his only class and his second internship in the fall. Along with other filler classes to have enough credits. We didn’t find out he didn’t pass the internship till the end of January and didn’t realize failing it would make him ineligible. It wasn’t until a couple weeks ago that we found out he was ineligible.
Given the nature of the beast here, it seems wise to ensure that internships are contingent on a written understanding of the possible scheduling conflicts. Don’t accept the intern if you know he can’t meet your schedule demands.

The whole story of you actually want it is he was late getting signed up for his internship. He signed up with one place but couldn’t make the hours work. He switched to a different place in late October. He did not get enough hours. He had planned to do most them in December but with practice for the bowl and his other classes he didn’t get enough hours. Still his fault don’t get me wrong. Unfortunately it was the only class counting as progressing towards his degree.. he would have taken psychology in the spring as his only class and his second internship in the fall. Along with other filler classes to have enough credits. We didn’t find out he didn’t pass the internship till the end of January and didn’t realize failing it would make him ineligible. It wasn’t until a couple weeks ago that we found out he was ineligible.
None of this sounds like stuff the NCAA couldn't figure out and work through in the best interests of the student-athlete, but given that it is simply too much to expect of them to do that, I'll see the NCAA in Hell.

cant do an internship during the summer?
He could have if he hadn’t only had one class towards his degree and failed it. But he struggled in psychology in a previous semester so they wanted him to wait till after football. He only had that and 2 internships to graduate so they were using the classes across 3 semesters. Failing it wasn’t in the plan

None of this sounds like stuff the NCAA couldn't figure out and work through in the best interests of the student-athlete, but given that it is simply too much to expect of them to do that, I'll see the NCAA in Hell.

im not sure the ncaa has anything to do with it? don't know about other schools but su has an internship and community service requirement to graduate.

im not sure the ncaa has anything to do with it? don't know about other schools but su has an internship and community service requirement to graduate.

It's the NCAA. When he failed that he became NCAA ineligible because of failure of progress towards graduation.

It's the NCAA. When he failed that he became NCAA ineligible because of failure of progress towards graduation.

ok? but the requirement to do an internship is su's.

ok? but the requirement to do an internship is su's.
It was part of his core course at Falk. When he failed it that triggered the NCAA rule of ineligibility due to lack of progress towards graduation. Which means he lost his scholarship. That's my understanding of it.

It was part of his core course at Falk. When he failed it that triggered the NCAA rule of ineligibility due to lack of progress towards graduation. Which means he lost his scholarship. That's my understanding of it.

I know it was a core course. it is in Whitman too. if su didn't require an internship, you could take any filler course. like a course my son did senior year...beer and wine appreciation. most popular course at su that syverud hates. internships take a lot of time and aren't always easy to find.

My beef is with the statement that it's rare the NCAA would review the case for eligibility favorably.

My beef is with the statement that it's rare the NCAA would review the case for eligibility favorably.

He’d have to become academically eligible by SU first.

This program is an extension of a community. This board represents, in spirit, that community. Shy has embodied that spirit of being an underdog; of busting your a$$ to prove yourself and putting on your hard hat and going to work. We see you, appreciate you, and feel proud to consider you one of us. Work hard, kick a$$ and blaze trails.

He’d have to become academically eligible by SU first.
Right, but it sounds like they haven't pursued that because once eligible at SU it wasn't likely the NCAA would grant whatever Cullen needed to be eligible.

Given the nature of the beast here, it seems wise to ensure that internships are contingent on a written understanding of the possible scheduling conflicts. Don’t accept the intern if you know he can’t meet your schedule demands.
Somebody dropped the ball. There is no way if the academic support staff for the players were engaged that this would have been missed.

Somebody dropped the ball. There is no way if the academic support staff for the players were engaged that this would have been missed.
Personal knowledge but 15 years ago SU had literally the worst academic support staff in the ncaas. I don’t know if it’s changed but it sounds like it hasn’t.

Personal knowledge but 15 years ago SU had literally the worst academic support staff in the ncaas. I don’t know if it’s changed but it sounds like it hasn’t.
15 years ago was still the Jake era. Lots has changed since then. Let’s hold off on proclaiming something terrible based on one example.

15 years ago was still the Jake era. Lots has changed since then. Let’s hold off on proclaiming something terrible based on one example.
When was Fab Melo again?

When was Fab Melo again?
I wasn't sold when you presented an opinion you had / heard 15 years ago, but now that you provide a dis-similar example from 9 years ago, I am sold.
So, this is what is going to happen? Sniping at each other in Shy's thread?

Not on my watch. Knock it off and find someplace else to pee on each other.

What I don’t get is why aren’t there counselors making sure during the year that all the student athletes are doing what they are supposed to .

So, this is what is going to happen? Sniping at each other in Shy's thread?

Not on my watch. Knock it off and find someplace else to pee on each other.
I didn’t snipe at anyone. I made a point completely relevant to Shys thread. SU has a history of dropping the ball on stuff like this.

It was Rosen. Yuck. But the point may be valid.

"Human beings don't belong in school with our schedules. No one in their right mind should have a football player's schedule, and go to school. "

I agree, but he's either being flip or he's not much of a thinker because he's got it backward: school is where he belongs, it's the football demands that should be relaxed to accommodate those obligations.

I've got a lot of sympathy for these kids. The burdens put on them are ridiculous.

Best of luck to Shy.

When I did my internship in the Falk School, it was 540 hours required over the semester. It's essentially a full-time job, which must be incredibly hard as an athlete.
Full time student(40 hours), D1 football player(40 hours), internship(40 hours). That's only 120 hours a week . Have to write off gameday, so 6 days. I see only 20 hours of work a day. Away games, need to write off a travel day, so 5 days. Only need to work 24 hours a day. How could that ever be a problem?

Sincerely,
The NCAA

Best of luck to Shy.

When I did my internship in the Falk School, it was 540 hours required over the semester. It's essentially a full-time job, which must be incredibly hard as an athlete.

Are all internships created equally? I cant believe they are all 540 hours. That’s pretty much impossible for anyone unless that’s all you do for the semester with no classes. I don’t think Whitman’s requirement was 540.

Are all internships created equally? I cant believe they are all 540 hours. That’s pretty much impossible for anyone unless that’s all you do for the semester with no classes. I don’t think Whitman’s requirement was 540.

Based on my recollection this is correct: internship in lieu of coursework for a semester. It's why a number of big-sport athletes steer clear of Falk. First, it's more difficult to find an internship in Syracuse than in one of the big Northeastern markets, and many athletes need to be on campus for most of the year. Second, obviously, the program puts a lot of demands on players that make completing an internship practically impossible.