Shy Ineligible | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Shy Ineligible

Crowdfunding opportunity?
I would be interested but would this violate NCAA rules? Need to ensure we do nothing to offend the losers that turn a blind eye to the monster SEC payouts for player while looking for the tiniest violation at other schools to pretend they actually add value to College sports.

That only covers releasing transcripts of grades to parents or guardians. It doesn't allow a football coach to set up a meeting with parents to discuss their child's academic performance.

FERPA covers all sorts of educational records, with the noted exception of medical records which fall under HIPPA guidelines. An educational record is anything that is maintained by any office or employee of the college that pertains to a student except those that are considered to be "sole possession" notes which are too complicated to discuss in a sports message board thread.

I certainly wouldn't expect or want a football coach discussing academic performance with any parents without guidance and or training from the FERPA officer of the college. So if there exists an academic record being kept separate and distinct by the coaching staff it is still subject to FERPA regulations and the college can be fined for not adhering to FERPA guidelines regarding these records. I should tell you that I was the FERPA Officer at my institution until my recent retirement and was responsible for FERPA training to all college employees including coaches as well as the academic certifier for student athletes meeting the respective guidelines to play/continue to play. The institution was not a Division 1 school, but the principles are the same.

Cheers,
Neil

Looks like Falk are sticklers once suspension has occurred and appeal denied...

Academic Probation - Falk College – Syracuse University

He'll have to do the approved courses required elsewhere (hopefully for "Fast Track") and then submit for readmission after next semester... and kiss the rings and ass of one Dean James Byrne, who appears to wield complete control of who gets readmitted...

Good luck Shy and Bam! We are pulling for you...

Looks like Falk are sticklers once suspension has occurred and appeal denied...

Academic Probation - Falk College – Syracuse University

He'll have to do the approved courses required elsewhere (hopefully for "Fast Track") and then submit for readmission after next semester... and kiss the rings and ass of one Dean James Byrne, who appears to wield complete control of who gets readmitted...

Good luck Shy and Bam! We are pulling for you...

“Sticklers.”

Less that versus those are the rules. He’s in his fourth year. There are no surprises in year four...

FERPA covers all sorts of educational records, with the noted exception of medical records which fall under HIPPA guidelines. An educational record is anything that is maintained by any office or employee of the college that pertains to a student except those that are considered to be "sole possession" notes which are too complicated to discuss in a sports message board thread.

I certainly wouldn't expect or want a football coach discussing academic performance with any parents without guidance and or training from the FERPA officer of the college. So if there exists an academic record being kept separate and distinct by the coaching staff it is still subject to FERPA regulations and the college can be fined for not adhering to FERPA guidelines regarding these records. I should tell you that I was the FERPA Officer at my institution until my recent retirement and was responsible for FERPA training to all college employees including coaches as well as the academic certifier for student athletes meeting the respective guidelines to play/continue to play. The institution was not a Division 1 school, but the principles are the same.

Cheers,
Neil

And I'm the HIPPA rep for my department, with crossover training in FERPA. All of the compliance officers are trained in both at my institution. While individual universities have there own policies and procedures, my college's policy was that any student waivers would allow only academic & registrar personnel to release or meet about student academic info with parents or guardians. It was specifically prohibited for athletic staff to divulge student academic progress or status to parents even with the waiver. They were referred to an academic representative to get that info.

“Sticklers.”

Less that versus those are the rules. He’s in his fourth year. There are no surprises in year four...

Failing out your senior year is rare and likely a big surprise every time it happens.

And I'm the HIPPA rep for my department, with crossover training in FERPA. All of the compliance officers are trained in both at my institution. While individual universities have there own policies and procedures, my college's policy was that any student waivers would allow only academic & registrar personnel to release or meet about student academic info with parents or guardians. It was specifically prohibited for athletic staff to divulge student academic progress or status to parents even with the waiver. They were referred to an academic representative to get that info.

We are going in circles here. The first post I replied to by you seemed to be indicating that the college couldn't release academic information to the parents at all. I replied that they could with a FERPA waiver form on file with the college's FERPA Officer (in many instances this would indeed be the Registrar's Office since usually the parents want to see transcripts and grades and such, but not always).

You then replied that FERPA waiver forms only covered transcripts and grades to which I replied that it includes many different educational records beyond transcripts and grades. The waiver can indeed include academic progress and status at the college since that is an educational record. Financial aid applications and monies dispersed to students are educational records. Basically anything that can be audited pertaining to a specific student is considered an educational record, again, outside of medical records. So yes, academic progress or status such as "in good academic standing", "on probation", "suspension" or "dismissal" can be included on the waiver form.

Now who the college permits to discuss the educational records "waived" on the waiver form. can vary from institution to institution. But for billing records or financial aid disbursements it isn't likely to be the College FERPA Officer since those records are not their area of expertise. However, the FERPA Officer confirms with such departments that a proper waiver is on file and that proof of parent/guardianship has been established prior to them discussing without the student present. If the student is present, only verbal consent is needed at that time, but the office involved needs to ask the parents to momentarily leave the room, inform the student they have the option of not giving consent and that if they give verbal consent at any point during the conversation they can withdraw consent. After the discussion, the office involved notes for the file that consent was verbally given by the student and the student was given the option to opt out of verbal consent at any point in the conversation including in the written note a brief discussion of what happened during the meeting. Then such note is forwarded to the College FERPA's Officer for placement in the their files and a copy in the student's file as well. As for actual coaches not being involved at all, that was how the institution I was at had it set-up but there was an athletic/academic advisor that met along with me to explain the ins and outs of what was happening.

And that is probably more than anyone cared to know about how FERPA works. ;)

Peace,
Neil

We are going in circles here. The first post I replied to by you seemed to be indicating that the college couldn't release academic information to the parents at all. I replied that they could with a FERPA waiver form on file with the college's FERPA Officer (in many instances this would indeed be the Registrar's Office since usually the parents want to see transcripts and grades and such, but not always).

You then replied that FERPA waiver forms only covered transcripts and grades to which I replied that it includes many different educational records beyond transcripts and grades. The waiver can indeed include academic progress and status at the college since that is an educational record. Financial aid applications and monies dispersed to students are educational records. Basically anything that can be audited pertaining to a specific student is considered an educational record, again, outside of medical records. So yes, academic progress or status such as "in good academic standing", "on probation", "suspension" or "dismissal" can be included on the waiver form.

Now who the college permits to discuss the educational records "waived" on the waiver form. can vary from institution to institution. But for billing records or financial aid disbursements it isn't likely to be the College FERPA Officer since those records are not their area of expertise. However, the FERPA Officer confirms with such departments that a proper waiver is on file and that proof of parent/guardianship has been established prior to them discussing without the student present. If the student is present, only verbal consent is needed at that time, but the office involved needs to ask the parents to momentarily leave the room, inform the student they have the option of not giving consent and that if they give verbal consent at any point during the conversation they can withdraw consent. After the discussion, the office involved notes for the file that consent was verbally given by the student and the student was given the option to opt out of verbal consent at any point in the conversation including in the written note a brief discussion of what happened during the meeting. Then such note is forwarded to the College FERPA's Officer for placement in the their files and a copy in the student's file as well. As for actual coaches not being involved at all, that was how the institution I was at had it set-up but there was an athletic/academic advisor that met along with me to explain the ins and outs of what was happening.

And that is probably more than anyone cared to know about how FERPA works. ;)

Peace,
Neil
Well now we should all know who to ask if we have any questions about FERPA. ;)

I hope things work out for him - and for us. He's a heck of a player and we need him on the team if next year is to be the golden opportunity for both him and the team we see it as.

I hope this isn't the first thing to go wrong for next year. I'll try to think like Dabo and expect good things to happen, not bad things.

I think it's best I refrain from comment here. Hope to see Shy in an SU uniform come fall.

First let me start by saying thank you for the support. The response here and online has been overwhelming. I have relayed to Shy your thoughts and prayers for him. He is very upset at the moment. His journey at Syracuse has been quite a roller coaster from his recruitment and coaching changes to redshirting and limited play time up to a great end of playing this season.
Next I would like to say the answers I give and info I share are to the best of my knowledge getting information about what is going on and choices he has to make are far more challenging than you could ever understand. Colleges and coaches have a funny way of not speaking to parents after your children become adults.
To answer some questions I saw... I don’t think transferring in school is an option. I read about it and am not sure how it works but I believe his standing with the university prevents it. I could be wrong but I would hope if that was an option the school would have brought it up or his advisors would have when they were working thru his appeal.
I don’t know if shy would have been invited back for his 5th year it never got to that point.
As far as the future... ideally shy will complete his classes at home get grades good enough to lift his suspension and he could rejoin the team in the summer. First I will say the coaches can not hold his scholarship and We completely understand that. Second if there is no scholarship available they can not give him one. Another option as after shy completes the 2 classes at home would be to pay to return to school finish his last class he needs for his degree and walk on the team. But getting a loan for the 50k it would cost may be problematic.
Another thing we can look at is transferring. It is near impossible to get answers on how to or if a suspended player can play before his previous school suspension is lifted. I am calling the ncaa today again to try and get this figured out. He isn’t a grad transfer so he would have to sit or drop to a lower division. Shy does not wish to sit a year and is don’t blame him.
Third is he rolls the dice and apply for early entry to the nfl draft. He would lose his eligibility for his last year as soon as he does that. To be honest this is another impossible to get answers or advice on. I didnt even know you had to apply to leave early. And for the life of me I can’t figure out how to apply. All I know is the application has to be to the nfl in 3 days. If he were to figure that out and apply and be excepted we have to figure out if the staff will let him participate in a pro day at the school. I am sure shy will impress at a pro day and we will hope he gets a camp offer.
His limited play time Besides special teams makes this the worst choice obviously but one that has to be looked at for his dream to come true.
If any thing changes or any news about what he is doing comes up I will update you as I can.
Again thank you all

thanks, good luck and good luck

Well, clearly. But, don't they have assistants monitoring academic progress like hawks?

The same way coaches can plan, coach and teach, ultimately performance is on the player. This is no different.

Just so you all understand while Shy struggles with his learning disability we don’t fault the school for this. He had resources in place and used them. He needs to focus more and football season makes that tough. The bowl season made it even tougher during finals. He will take care of this and return to Syracuse with only a internship needed to finish his degree. Hopefully that will take place this summer and fall and he is on the field with his teammates for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom