SI article about coaching legends on the verge of retirement | Syracusefan.com

SI article about coaching legends on the verge of retirement

I just read it. Interesting because I wonder who sources are close to Boeheim. If Boeheim really wanted to stay longer I feel like he would have come out publically and said it. That would but the university in a difficult position and probably make it possible to stay longer.

Interesting article. Not that Thamel is an authority, but I would really hate to see that come to pass and for this to end ugly.

He's gone, He has very little to do with recruiting beyond this year. He's been amazing, but there comes a time when you need to move on. Hopkins has earned the right and the University (chancelor) has made it clear what the plan is.

I don't think Thamel is as connected as he comes off TBH...

how close are hopkins and boeheim. Jim is obviously walking a fine line btw hurting his friend (if they are friends) and doing what he wants (which is to continue coaching).

BC AD just resigned. Boeheim should just go coach BC for a few years if they kick him out of here and BC fires Christian (which i assume is gonna happen). I always contended that Calhoun should have been hired there before Christian. If clearer heads prevail, it's Mike who should take that BC job.

I'm on team Boeheim. 41 years of winning and being a Syracuse guy through and through gives him maximum benefit of the doubt minus any woody hayes/paterno situation occurring.

how close are hopkins and boeheim. Jim is obviously walking a fine line btw hurting his friend (if they are friends) and doing what he wants (which is to continue coaching).

BC AD just resigned. Boeheim should just go coach BC for a few years if they kick him out of here and BC fires Christian (which i assume is gonna happen). I always contended that Calhoun should have been hired there before Christian. If clearer heads prevail, it's Mike who should take that BC job.

I'm on team Boeheim. 41 years of winning and being a Syracuse guy through and through gives him maximum benefit of the doubt minus any woody hayes/paterno situation occurring.

Well if JB did go to BC, I'd have to eat my shorts according to a post I made a couple weeks ago. So I'd prefer that not to happen - and that's actually not the only reason.

JB stays another 8 years and gets 1,100 and 1,200.

Hop takes the BC job and coaches them to their 1st Final Four.

JB stays another 8 years and gets 1,100 and 1,200.

Hop takes the BC job and coaches them to their 1st Final Four.

BC needs to make a splash. I think if Hopkins is smart he goes there with a big contract years wise to turn it around. BC admissions needs to be realistic about the kids that can succeed there as well. If duke can find a way, BC can too. BC shouldn't stand in the way, contract wise, of an out for hopkins if he wanted to go back to syracuse either. Although if i'm Mike, i'd build at BC and forget Syracuse. the coach following Boeheim IMO is a no win situation.

I could see Boeheim taking his show to the NBA. I don't think he wants to stop coaching and I don't see how trying the NBA could not be in a coaches bucket list. Alternatively I think he goes to another school. I don't see him going to the golf course just yet.

I could see Boeheim taking his show to the NBA. I don't think he wants to stop coaching and I don't see how trying the NBA could not be in a coaches bucket list. Alternatively I think he goes to another school. I don't see him going to the golf course just yet.

He's 72. Maybe D'Antoni gets him on board as some kind of 'emeritus' 2-3 zone advisor but he's done coaching anywhere after next year at the very latest, IMO. Your post is eerily Townie-esque.

Would an NBA team hire a 73 year old zone coach? I find that unlikely. Another school - absolutely, there are plenty that would take him, but I think it is nuts to think he would coach another school. Why would he start over at that age when all he wants to do is participate as a parent with his kids activities? I get that he may want to keep coaching, but it is Syracuse or nothing in my opinion.

Would an NBA team hire a 73 year old zone coach? I find that unlikely. Another school - absolutely, there are plenty that would take him, but I think it is nuts to think he would coach another school. Why would he start over at that age when all he wants to do is participate as a parent with his kids activities? I get that he may want to keep coaching, but it is Syracuse or nothing in my opinion.

I agree totally. I don't see him at another school and I guess I'd be surprised if he wanted to get on a plane more than 40 times between November and April to travel to NBA away games at this stage of life.

This article basically confirms the rumblings on this board that JB isn't exactly thrilled about his timeline anymore.

It's an interesting argument - on one side of the coin, you have a legend who is clearly still near the top of his game in the coaching ranks (despite the last 3 losses, he has beaten some very good teams this year). On the other side, you have seen the quality of play (at least in my opinion) erode from a Top 10-15 level to a Top 40-50 level. Which is rather disappointing.

A lot of that could have to do with sanctions in place. There are a lot of factors that could be at play. Not sure where I fall on this topic, but I am hopeful that we maintain a high level of play through whatever transition we have, whenever that may be.

I keep hearing that the university is not going to budge on an extension. I also can't see JB stop coaching if he wants to keep coaching so I can see this ending in some pretty weird ways. Time will tell. I certainly think there's room somewhere on the coaching carousel for a few spins for a HOFer.

This article basically confirms the rumblings on this board that JB isn't exactly thrilled about his timeline anymore.

It's an interesting argument - on one side of the coin, you have a legend who is clearly still near the top of his game in the coaching ranks (despite the last 3 losses, he has beaten some very good teams this year). On the other side, you have seen the quality of play (at least in my opinion) erode from a Top 10-15 level to a Top 40-50 level. Which is rather disappointing.

A lot of that could have to do with sanctions in place. There are a lot of factors that could be at play. Not sure where I fall on this topic, but I am hopeful that we maintain a high level of play through whatever transition we have, whenever that may be.

This season's struggles on the court and with recruiting -- barring a dramatic turnaround -- don't exactly make a strong case for JB to delay the planned handover.

This season's struggles on the court and with recruiting -- barring a dramatic turnaround -- don't exactly make a strong case for JB to delay the planned handover.
I don't think the argument for the not doing the planned turnover is that all of sudden we are going to take it up a notch with Hopkins. I don't know how people could believe that. This idea that when Hopkins is the coach we are getting a bunch of top 20 kids because now he is out there recruiting as the head coach is fantasy land in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom