SI article about coaching legends on the verge of retirement | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

SI article about coaching legends on the verge of retirement

Let's state that the likely plan was for JB to quit after next year, but with another Olympic
gold medal, his 1000th win, a better year, and previous statements of him not wanting to go
on a farewell tour, that it would not have been a shock for him to take the mike at the end of
the SU-GTech game and announce that he was going to step down at the conclusion of THIS
season.

While that is not the case anymore, I believe that the ending after next year is still probably
the best thing for him and SU. He'd like to watch his kids play in college, and they are not
going to be in the ACC. It doesn't seem like he's putting in the necessary efforts on the
recruiting trail to get the talent that is needed here at SU, or the uncertainty of his plans are
a factor in kids choosing to go somewhere else. And I don't think the coaching results of the
last few years are really what he wants. Whatever you think, JB is not an 18-13 / 19-13 overall
and 9-9 or 10-8 league coach. He's more like a 24-6 / 12-6, if not better, guy. Like it or not,
next year is shaping up to be another struggle, and I'd be curious to know if that's what he'd
like to finish with. I don't care about this snippy-ness with the media on most things, but I
think he could do better as it relates to comments about his players.

Does anyone know for sure, no, but it would've been nice to see it end the way I'd
mentioned above.

Kev

At some point (I think next year) we will be elite again.
giphy.gif

I would change that line of thinking if I were you.

Yeah, the only way Lydon comes back, is if he gets hurt this season.
Kid is pretty much a lock as a 1st round pick - that's 2-3 years at 7-figures, guaranteed, at a minimum.

He gone.

This stuff is cyclical. You're never as good as you are at your highest point and never as bad at your lowest point. At some point(I think next year) we will be elite again and the sanctions will be behind us. Other schools like Louisville and UNC are probably going to have to go through the same chain of events we just went through and they will suffer as well. As Thamel wrote, there's 3 other schools that will have to replace coaches and I would also add Miami to that list as Larranaga is 67. Syracuse has been winning game since 1920. We are all of a sudden going to turn into Virginia Tech year after year? I trust Wildhack and Hopkins(hopefully) to get us back on the winning track for the long haul.

I also think it says something that our worst seasons are bubble seasons. Every school has had a losing season the past 25 years, except us.

Not calling you out or anything because I love your posts but I'm curious as to why you believe this? I'm on the exact opposite train, I think next year could end up being one of the worst.

Yeah, the only way Lydon comes back, is if he gets hurt this season.
Kid is pretty much a lock as a 1st round pick - that's 2-3 years at 7-figures, guaranteed, at a minimum.

He gone.

With that said, we need him productive again and fast. Must have good Tyler from Wednesday night on if this season is going to end in a reasonably positive way.

He can be tired for the Fort Wayne Mad Ants.

Not calling you out or anything because I love your posts but I'm curious as to why you believe this? I'm on the exact opposite train, I think next year could end up being one of the worst.

I believe Lydon will be back based on what other posters who are closer to the program have stated on the board recently and the fact he can graduate in 3 years. That's really the reason for my optimism. If he is not back and I realize that is still a possibility you and orangenirvana above will most likely be correct unless some super grad transfers come in and pick up the system faster than White and Gillon(small chance).

I was for your response to that sentence. I kept hitting the refresh button on my phone. Thought maybe you were seriously ill. Glad you are alright.

Does anyone know how or if this has impacted JB and Hop's relationship. May be reading too much into it but Hop does not seem as engaged at the games as he used to. I know Hop owes his career to JB, but a point eventually comes where things may need to be said. Just curious.

how close are hopkins and boeheim. Jim is obviously walking a fine line btw hurting his friend (if they are friends) and doing what he wants (which is to continue coaching).

BC AD just resigned. Boeheim should just go coach BC for a few years if they kick him out of here and BC fires Christian (which i assume is gonna happen). I always contended that Calhoun should have been hired there before Christian. If clearer heads prevail, it's Mike who should take that BC job.

I'm on team Boeheim. 41 years of winning and being a Syracuse guy through and through gives him maximum benefit of the doubt minus any woody hayes/paterno situation occurring.
Look at our 2017 recruiting. JB has already given the keys to recruiting to Hopkins. JB isn't going to go BC and recruit.

He is done after next year.

I believe Lydon will be back based on what other posters who are closer to the program have stated on the board recently and the fact he can graduate in 3 years. That's really the reason for my optimism. If he is not back and I realize that is still a possibility you and orangenirvana above will most likely be correct unless some super grad transfers come in and pick up the system faster than White and Gillon(small chance).

For us to have a great year next year I really believe we need a lot to happen. (my opinions)

FH - needs to be above average to well above average
Battle - Play up to what we know he is capable of
Lydon - See Battle
TT - Improve on offense a little bit and improve his defense a ton, a real ton.
72 - Be who we thought he was going to be this year.

The 3 freshman (Moyer included) Be ready to fill in for 72 (obviously there'll be movement with TT from the 4 and the 5) and do an average job.

We truly need to sign a guard that is going to be able to play 15-25 minutes a game and play very well. If that doesn't happen I don't think it really matters who comes back. We're a small injury away from our back court of being a sub .500 team.

I don't know who we can bring in or what is going on and I don't pretend to, but man, our back court is thin.

BC needs to make a splash. I think if Hopkins is smart he goes there with a big contract years wise to turn it around. BC admissions needs to be realistic about the kids that can succeed there as well. If duke can find a way, BC can too. BC shouldn't stand in the way, contract wise, of an out for hopkins if he wanted to go back to syracuse either. Although if i'm Mike, i'd build at BC and forget Syracuse. the coach following Boeheim IMO is a no win situation.
BC has zero fans. Zero support from locals.
If Hopkins wants to go BC go ahead. BC is a hockey school.

Syracuse is a top 10 job because of the Dome and fan support. We can get a good coach. Hop isn't going give up a top 10 job he has guaranteed for one of the 5 worst P5 jobs in the nation.

For us to have a great year next year I really believe we need a lot to happen. (my opinions)

FH - needs to be above average to well above average
Battle - Play up to what we know he is capable of
Lydon - See Battle
TT - Improve on offense a little bit and improve his defense a ton, a real ton.
72 - Be who we thought he was going to be this year.

The 3 freshman (Moyer included) Be ready to fill in for 72 (obviously there'll be movement with TT from the 4 and the 5) and do an average job.

We truly need to sign a guard that is going to be able to play 15-25 minutes a game and play very well. If that doesn't happen I don't think it really matters who comes back. We're a small injury away from our back court of being a sub .500 team.

I don't know who we can bring in or what is going on and I don't pretend to, but man, our back court is thin.

I think Brissett starts at the 3 and 7'2'' doesnt see much time again tbh. I think Taurean ends up being the center and Lydon starts at the 4 if he's back.

I think Brissett starts at the 3 and 7'2'' doesnt see much time again tbh. I think Taurean ends up being the center and Lydon starts at the 4 if he's back.

If he does start at the 3, what kind of numbers and minutes do you think we see?

I get a little concerned when we have to lock a guy into a starting spot who's a freshman that isn't in the top 40, outside of TT we haven't had great success with poorly rated freshman coming in and being serviceable as of late. not giving up on this kid or saying he isn't going to be good, but just want to curb some expectations.

BC has zero fans. Zero support from locals.
If Hopkins wants to go BC go ahead. BC is a hockey school.

Syracuse is a top 10 job because of the Dome and fan support. We can get a good coach. Hop isn't going give up a top 10 job he has guaranteed for one of the 5 worst P5 jobs in the nation.

I'm not disputing any of that. But if one is forced to leave (either guy really), there may not be a better chance to put a reclamation project in motion quicker than at BC and where either can face Syracuse.

Again, i'm assuming many things from what others say and what Thamel is saying. If Boeheim is done this year I wouldn't be surprised either.

In no way am I promising that Hopkins will take the program up a notch when he takes over, but it's certainly not impossible.

All organizations face scenarios like this, having to replace skilled managers and leaders who have elevated the company in their time. But new generations of people are always behind them, and many times those new generations bring energy, new ideas, and excitement that lead the company to be even stronger. Everyone knows that as of this moment in time, Hopkins probably isn't the caliber of head coach that Boeheim is, how could he be? But he is a much younger man and that does mean something. It has value. Mike will be like a new CEO, one who has been in upper management at the company for a long time and who has been to the best schools. There's nobody available who has prepared more for this job. Doesn't mean he will be amazing, but he is certainly lower risk than a lot of people think and he has a big potential upside to him. All these things we fans think we see wrong with the program, Hopkins sees them too, in spades, with an actual educated eye and he's going to be in a position to resolve them. The biggest risk is that he's too close to things and can't see the things that need to be fixed or improved because he's been too closely involved for so long. But that risk has a pretty low consequence associated with it.

If he does start at the 3, what kind of numbers and minutes do you think we see?

I get a little concerned when we have to lock a guy into a starting spot who's a freshman that isn't in the top 40, outside of TT we haven't had great success with poorly rated freshman coming in and being serviceable as of late. not giving up on this kid or saying he isn't going to be good, but just want to curb some expectations.

I hear you. Francis believe's he would be a top 50 guy in the states so that's why I think he starts. Jerry Meyer has him right around 50 and ESPN has him 4 star, but unranked cause they don't rank guys outside the states. Not sure why R*val's and Skowt have him so low, maybe they havent scouted him much? I think in the end he and Moyer probably split time 60/40, but I like Brissett's potential because he add's the prototypical Syracuse athleticism to the back line of the zone that should help our defense and rebounding.

I hear you. Francis believe's he would be a top 50 guy in the states so that's why I think he starts. Jerry Meyer has him right around 50 and ESPN has him 4 star, but unranked cause they don't rank guys outside the states. Not sure why R*val's and Skowt have him so low, maybe they havent scouted him much? I think in the end he and Moyer probably split time 60/40, but I like Brissett's potential because he add's the prototypical Syracuse athleticism to the back line of the zone that should help our defense and rebounding.

Moyer at the 3 concerns me because of his shooting or lack thereof. Like I said last year, we lost Mali, G, and Cooney and it hurts no matter who comes in, this year we lose Gillon and White who are shooting over 40% at a high volume between them. Defense wont suffer but that's a lot of points to make up on either end of the court and we still don't know how the new guys will play defense.

Moyer at the 3 concerns me because of his shooting or lack thereof. Like I said last year, we lost Mali, G, and Cooney and it hurts no matter who comes in, this year we lose Gillon and White who are shooting over 40% at a high volume between them. Defense wont suffer but that's a lot of points to make up on either end of the court and we still don't know how the new guys will play defense.

Sure we do: like new guys.

Unless of course Boeheim leaves and Hopkins takes over. Then all bets are off, in either direction. But if we're a zone team, the new guys are all going to be liabilities on defense.

Sure we do: like new guys.

Unless of course Boeheim leaves and Hopkins takes over. Then all bets are off, in either direction. But if we're a zone team, the new guys are all going to be liabilities on defense.

Malachi was new and he was a pretty good zone defender. I expect Brissett to be closer to him than the grad transfers. Moyer is the wild card in all of this. I'm not sure what to expect.

I don't think White or Gillon are built for the zone.

I'm not disputing any of that. But if one is forced to leave (either guy really), there may not be a better chance to put a reclamation project in motion quicker than at BC and where either can face Syracuse.

Again, i'm assuming many things from what others say and what Thamel is saying. If Boeheim is done this year I wouldn't be surprised either.
JB is 72 years old he isn't being forced out.
Sometimes enough is enough.

Malachi was new and he was a pretty good zone defender. I expect Brissett to be closer to him than the grad transfers. Moyer is the wild card in all of this. I'm not sure what to expect.

I don't think White or Gillon are built for the zone.

Battle's sometimes pretty good, too. But those guys are few and far between.

You know who I would love at the 3. Lonnie Walker. He is going to be good and he is from Philly so we didn't recruit him because he was going to Nova. If only we had gotten Philly kids in the past like Dion Waters or Ric Jackson or Scoop Jardine or Rakeem Christmas. I wish it wasn't a recruiting violation because while I have a full time job I'm willing to call players once a week to tell them we are interested. I digress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom