SI article about coaching legends on the verge of retirement | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SI article about coaching legends on the verge of retirement

Of course it's a joke.

You don't think BC will ever get to a Final Four, do you?
I was actually trying to decide which of the 2 sentences I found less likely. BC making the final 4 or Boeheim coaching until he is 80.

I don't think the argument for the not doing the planned turnover is that all of sudden we are going to take it up a notch with Hopkins. I don't know how people could believe that. This idea that when Hopkins is the coach we are getting a bunch of top 20 kids because now he is out there recruiting as the head coach is fantasy land in my opinion.

Maybe. But there would appear to be a certain element -- perhaps including the chancellor -- that worries about the negative stigma that JB brings to the program re NCAA woes, lack of oversight, etc. If it's true that JB wants to stay, the best argument he has is success on the court and in recruiting battles. Those things are not trending in his favor, again barring some abrupt swing.

Hop is not without some renown as a recruiter, albeit as an assistant. Whether that translates to a stint as HC obviously remains a question.

Despite all that, I still think he's done at the end of this season.

He's gone, He has very little to do with recruiting beyond this year. He's been amazing, but there comes a time when you need to move on. Hopkins has earned the right and the University (chancelor) has made it clear what the plan is.

Hopkins has been an asset for the program without a doubt, and, I'm a fan of his. However, that being said, imo, he hasn't 'earned' any right since he has zero head coaching experience -at any level- let alone a high profile program that is Syracuse. He has been gifted the keys to the mother ship for merely carrying out his duties and responsibilities of the position maintained.

Maybe. But there would appear to be a certain element -- perhaps including the chancellor -- that worries about the negative stigma that JB brings to the program re NCAA woes, lack of oversight, etc. If it's true that JB wants to stay, the best argument he has is success on the court and in recruiting battles. Those things are not trending in his favor, again barring some abrupt swing.

Hop is not without some renown as a recruiter, albeit as an assistant. Whether that translates to a stint as HC obviously remains a question.
I don't feel like the lack of oversight is completely a Boeheim thing. We haven't reached out to kids during the dead period, paid kids to come here or committed recruiting violations. I think most of the lack of oversight falls on Gross not Boeheim. This is not just because I love Boeheim, I feel this way in general. Also if we are talking about national perception I would argue Boeheim is held in a much higher one than the NCAA. Every basketball fan I meet on the west coast loves Boeheim and doesn't think he is a cheater. Generally what I have people say to me is, "Boeheim is great man. When he ran on the court at Duke I thought finally someone did it."

I'm in the minority and recognize that JB is SU basketball, but I think it's time. We need to find out what we have in Hop and it will not be a good look if JB tries to hold the program hostage and makes a scene to get a few more years. Also as mentioned above a regular season trend of mediocrity isn't much to stand on. I think it's time.

"Boeheim should just go coach BC for a few years if they kick him out of here."
Please,I BEG you to tell me that was in geste.
This bulldog never quits. Many people in this town,including many here, have been trying to throw dirt on this guy since the whole Rob Johnson era. If I'm AD I look at every option to keep him imitating cranes on the bench. He will ALWAYS win. It's clueless to consider anything else at this time because he is not drooling,his fly is zipped up and he is facing his huddle while talking to his kids.

Boeheim quote from recent interview: "I can't wait to retire to watch (Buddy Boeheim) play in college."

Buddy is a high school junior. Jimmy Jr. will be starting his college career next Fall.

This season's struggles on the court and with recruiting -- barring a dramatic turnaround -- don't exactly make a strong case for JB to delay the planned handover.
It also doesn't exactly make a strong case for Hopkins to be the one to take that handover.

I'm in the minority and recognize that JB is SU basketball, but I think it's time. We need to find out what we have in Hop and it will not be a good look if JB tries to hold the program hostage and makes a scene to get a few more years. Also as mentioned above a regular season trend of mediocrity isn't much to stand on. I think it's time.
I'm not sure you are in the minority. Maybe among the general public in Syracuse. I hope I'm wrong but I think this trend of mediocrity will become the new normal. We will be on the bubble and around 500 in the ACC when the conference is good moving forward.

It also doesn't exactly make a strong case for Hopkins to be the one to take that handover.

I wouldn't argue with that per se. But there is a question of whether you honor a commitment, and what it says if you don't honor it.

Even from the most pragmatic viewpoint, you have a serious upside/downside equation to calculate.

"Boeheim should just go coach BC for a few years if they kick him out of here."
Please,I BEG you to tell me that was in geste.
This bulldog never quits. Many people in this town,including many here, have been trying to throw dirt on this guy since the whole Rob Johnson era. If I'm AD I look at every option to keep him imitating cranes on the bench. He will ALWAYS win. It's clueless to consider anything else at this time because he is not drooling,his fly is zipped up and he is facing his huddle while talking to his kids.

I'm with you that they should keep him. I'm pro Boeheim for as long as he thinks he can get it done. If he's kicked to the curb (and now it seems like there is a turf war on the Hill about this) that he will probably look to coach for 3-5 more years somewhere else. I wouldn't be surprised if he does it where a turnaround can be seen very quickly (ala Knight at Texas Tech).

I would love to see Boeheim do it at BC because it would be exhibit A to Syracuse that you never ever let a legend leave to prop up a guy who has never coached a game in his life.

I wouldn't argue with that per se. But there is a question of whether you honor a commitment, and what it says if you don't honor it.

Even from the most pragmatic viewpoint, you have a serious upside/downside equation to calculate.
At the time it seemed less like a bad idea than it does today but I'd honor it but give him a very short leash. We do not want a Gerg situation with our basketball program.

I would love to see Boeheim do it at BC because it would be exhibit A to Syracuse that you never ever let a legend leave to prop up a guy who has never coached a game in his life.
I take it you're a Boeheim fan and not a Syracuse fan.

I don't feel like the lack of oversight is completely a Boeheim thing. We haven't reached out to kids during the dead period, paid kids to come here or committed recruiting violations. I think most of the lack of oversight falls on Gross not Boeheim. This is not just because I love Boeheim, I feel this way in general. Also if we are talking about national perception I would argue Boeheim is held in a much higher one than the NCAA. Every basketball fan I meet on the west coast loves Boeheim and doesn't think he is a cheater. Generally what I have people say to me is, "Boeheim is great man. When he ran on the court at Duke I thought finally someone did it."

He's an easy target, but I think this is unfair to Daryl. On paper, he oversaw Boeheim. In reality, he took an AD job 'above' a coach with almost 30 years of tenure who was about to be inducted into the Hall of Fame and who'd won a national championship a year before. Daryl was in a position to give suggestions. He wasn't telling Boeheim what to do.

Coach isn't going to another college to coach...why would he do that after all these years at SU?! No way, no how.

I can't stand Thamel but the one thing about this is that if Boeheim wants to stay this article is a good move for him. It gets it out there without him saying it. It's funny the differences between this board (die hard fans) and the average alumni or local fan. On my facebook feed for Syracuse.com basically every comment below is something along the lines of how dare they make him leave if he doesn't want to, he built the program or he should coach until he dies. In here it is much more divided.

This stuff is cyclical. You're never as good as you are at your highest point and never as bad at your lowest point. At some point(I think next year) we will be elite again and the sanctions will be behind us. Other schools like Louisville and UNC are probably going to have to go through the same chain of events we just went through and they will suffer as well. As Thamel wrote, there's 3 other schools that will have to replace coaches and I would also add Miami to that list as Larranaga is 67. Syracuse has been winning game since 1920. We are all of a sudden going to turn into Virginia Tech year after year? I trust Wildhack and Hopkins(hopefully) to get us back on the winning track for the long haul.

I also think it says something that our worst seasons are bubble seasons. Every school has had a losing season the past 25 years, except us.

Boeheim ends his head coaching tenure, and Hop immediately hires him on as an "assistant".
He should probably hire him on as the director of operations since Boeheim doesn't recruit.

I take it you're a Boeheim fan and not a Syracuse fan.

i'm a Syracuse fan. I don't like Boeheim personally but anyone with half a brain can see what he's done for this school over 41 years and i defer to that guy when he thinks his time has come. I am just making a flippant suggestion that if the school is dumb enough to kick him to curb before he wants to i hope he shows them quickly that the decision was stupid at a school where a turnaround can be seen immediately.

Bottom line, handing over this operation to a guy who has never coached has always seemed to be a ridiculous move that was done by a prior administration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JYCUSE12

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom