SID | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SID

that first move sidibe made was really nice. i wouldn't mind throwing the ball down to him once or twice a game, particularly when the offense is stuck.

He played well and the energy was obvious. But he has no elevation which is problem. Footwork has always been there, that’s why I had high hopes. At times he would move a bit too fast the last couple of years but when he can take his time he has low post capabilities. The problem is he’s still very clumsy on defense. You cannot just run directly into players with two arms up. That’s terrible. He has a knack for grabbing some boards because I think he has good timing with whatever leap he has and he has long arms. Seems even more lost on the high ball screen than PC. At times yesterday he was walking around with his arms down (like prepping a screen) on the perimeter, back and forth waiting to set at screen that sometimes never happened. That’s more a function of the systematic ineptitude though.

In terms of the post in general- It should not be this hard to throw a damn post pass for a guy to turn 180 degrees and shoot a baby hook. That’s all.

regarding your last line, i wish that question would be posed to jb. i must assume he tells the guards not to pass the ball down there.

i thought he moved well. big issue with sidibe is game play experience . he's not been on the floor. dude played just 40 minutes spot duty last 10 games before . practice time ain't game speed . sit and ye shall suffer.

Last edited:
He played well and the energy was obvious. But he has no elevation which is problem. Footwork has always been there, that’s why I had high hopes. At times he would move a bit too fast the last couple of years but when he can take his time he has low post capabilities. The problem is he’s still very clumsy on defense. You cannot just run directly into players with two arms up. That’s terrible. He has a knack for grabbing some boards because I think he has good timing with whatever leap he has and he has long arms. Seems even more lost on the high ball screen than PC. At times yesterday he was walking around with his arms down (like prepping a screen) on the perimeter, back and forth waiting to set at screen that sometimes never happened. That’s more a function of the systematic ineptitude though.

In terms of the post in general- It should not be this hard to throw a damn post pass for a guy to turn 180 degrees and shoot a baby hook. That’s all.

Pin it and lock it. This is all you need to read.

Kid's got good fundamentals on offense, does crazy (not the good kind of crazy) things on defense, and he has no lift at all, which makes me think his knees never did get better.

But it is funny when we all (yeah, I'm guilty of this too) swoon when an SU center makes a basic post move on offense. For every other big-conference team this is taken for granted. In this program in the last five years, we see it twice a season and it's very exciting.

Last edited:
I think any decent center prospect looks at the crap offense and screens to nowhere and says "no thanks"

Most centers coming out of high school are not ready to play at the ACC level, unless your talking about Zion.
Thing is, I don't think they believe it. At least, not enough to be scared off by Sid.

Thing is, I don't think they believe it. At least, not enough to be scared off by Sid.
I don't believe JB lies or misleads recruits. I think he give them some understanding of the status of the position would play and the likely PT they could expect. Do you think there are a lot of high school centers who would come in and be a impact player in the ACC? I don't. And if the coaches thought they could get better than Sidibe, why didn't they do it last class. My point from the beginning was that he flashed some real presence Saturday and I could see him being a productive player if he's healthy, which only the staff knows. There is obviously still a commitment to him.

oh i'm sure he's upfront with the recruits .

"and this is where you'll be staying during your time with us "

doghouse.jpeg

I don't believe JB lies or misleads recruits. I think he give them some understanding of the status of the position would play and the likely PT they could expect. Do you think there are a lot of high school centers who would come in and be a impact player in the ACC? I don't. And if the coaches thought they could get better than Sidibe, why didn't they do it last class. My point from the beginning was that he flashed some real presence Saturday and I could see him being a productive player if he's healthy, which only the staff knows. There is obviously still a commitment to him.

I’m not giving up on him. I still think he could be a good player, though I’m less confident in it than I was a year ago.

But to suggest a guy with some injury history who often gets DNP’s and gets like 2-3 points and boards per game off the bench is scaring any good recruits off? Cmon.

i thought he moved well. big issue with sidibe is game play experience . he's not been on the floor. dude played just 40 minutes spot duty last 10 games before . practice time ain't game speed . sit and ye shall suffer.

Would love to see your preferred depth chart and minutes per game for everyone.

I suspect you’d have 10 guys all playing 20 minutes per game.

If I were Dr. Frankenstein, I’d give Sid Hak’s athleticism, AO’s strength, Thomas’ shot blocking instincts, and Otis Hill’s little jump hook. He’d dominate the ACC bigs.

I’m not giving up on him. I still think he could be a good player, though I’m less confident in it than I was a year ago.

But to suggest a guy with some injury history who often gets DNP’s and gets like 2-3 points and boards per game off the bench is scaring any good recruits off? Cmon.
OK. So what your saying is next year we really have no real center penciled in and there isn't 1 fairly sought after recruit anywhere in the world that says, "I'll take that spot." That is harder to believe than my theory, isn't it?

If I were Dr. Frankenstein, I’d give Sid Hak’s athleticism, AO’s strength, Thomas’ shot blocking instincts, and Otis Hill’s little jump hook. He’d dominate the ACC bigs.

All of those guys improved so much in their time at SU. Especially Etan, Warrick, and Hill.

I hope we can say the same about Sidibe someday. Some guys take a little longer. Christmas and Watkins would be example IMO.

OK. So what your saying is next year we really have no real center penciled in and there isn't 1 fairly sought after recruit anywhere in the world that says, "I'll take that spot." That is harder to believe than my theory, isn't it?
I'm pretty sure JB will be sending five players in to start each game, if that's your question.

We haven't pulled in a top center in quite a while. It's pretty plausible that there are reasons other than there are already centers on the roster.

Last edited:
Would love to see your preferred depth chart and minutes per game for everyone.

I suspect you’d have 10 guys all playing 20 minutes per game.
No, you need to develop everyone for the long run. The starters play 16 minutes and the other 8 scholarship players get 15 minutes. The competition for that extra minute will be fierce.

I'm pretty sure JB will be sending five players in to start each game, if that's your question.
I'm saying that your saying is all a 4 star center has to do is sign and he should be the starter on next years team. Should be simple.

We haven't pulled in a top center in quite a while. It's pretty plausible that there are reasons other than there are already centers on the roster.
They try to run offense down low for the centers, it just is a lack of ability on their part as to why it isn't a bigger part of the offense. I think in the zone the center position is pretty close to what it is in mtm.

I don't believe JB lies or misleads recruits. I think he give them some understanding of the status of the position would play and the likely PT they could expect. Do you think there are a lot of high school centers who would come in and be a impact player in the ACC? I don't. And if the coaches thought they could get better than Sidibe, why didn't they do it last class.
well, it seems the plan was to take 2 bigs in this class and they are sticking with it even with all the recognized "names" off the board. that's gotta say something, doesn't it?

i am a big sidibe fan; i thought he was going to prove to be the jewel of his class. still holding out hope, but the athleticism he flashed as a high schooler is seriously diminished.

well, it seems the plan was to take 2 bigs in this class and they are sticking with it even with all the recognized "names" off the board. that's gotta say something, doesn't it?

i am a big sidibe fan; i thought he was going to prove to be the jewel of his class. still holding out hope, but the athleticism he flashed as a high schooler is seriously diminished.
Maybe his tendinitis is going away. Injuries are tough to calibrate, I have to believe the coaches are still including him in the plans, He looked very good the other day for a player who hasn't had much PT.

Maybe his tendinitis is going away. Injuries are tough to calibrate, I have to believe the coaches are still including him in the plans, He looked very good the other day for a player who hasn't had much PT.
fingers.gif

Me too killsme

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom