Sidibe's reaming early in the game. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Sidibe's reaming early in the game.

Btw, this is the single greatest comment possible on a Syracuse Hoops fan message board. Nothing good ever happens when the center attempts to fly into the bleachers. Lol.

View attachment 175528
Just before this play happened, JB moved Warwick to center just for him to cover the corner jumper. Obviously, he made the play.

its more than difficult - it’s virtually impossible. Nothing good ever happens when the center attempts to fly into the bleachers. By reaming Sid he’s deflecting and making this all about the players.
If you are 6'10" with a 7' stride it is not impossible. The center in the zone sees the entire play in front of him, he needs to be able to recognize the play by the formation of the players and react as the ball moves.

The problem is the center is usually the slowest person on the team and he’s asking him to cover the most ground with an angle that guarantees he’s taken out of the play with nobody underneath to rebound. It doesn’t make sense. It’s a desperation tactic. If the wing is that important in that game then they should be in a 1-2-2.
Well, if your in a 1-2-2, then your bigs have to cover from the opposite block to the opposite corner. Both bigs have to do this. You have to make sure the low block is covered by the opposite big before you have to rotate out to the corner. This is actually more difficult than what JB is asking Sidibe to do.

Using probably the most athletic (not to mention significant) defensive play in Syracuse history by a player known for ridiculous hops and length is a terrible example for the argument. And yes the game is way different. You think Craig forth was charging to the corner? Come on now. Imagine that though?

Eh, any picture of that will get a like from me. :)

Just before this play happened, JB moved Warwick to center just for him to cover the corner jumper. Obviously, he made the play.

Nah, Forth had fouled out before this, and this was a very different zone than what Boeheim's been coaching for the last 8 or 9 years. It was just an extraordinary instinctive play by Warrick, no more, no less.

Nah, Forth had fouled out before this, and this was a very different zone than what Boeheim's been coaching for the last 8 or 9 years. It was just an extraordinary instinctive play by Warrick, no more, no less.
Warwick was playing the middle of the zone and covered the corner. That was my point.

Warwick was playing the middle of the zone and covered the corner. That was my point.

1579459343395.jpeg

And how many athletes have warricks freakish measurables? The shooter can pump fake, draw a foul, or drive with a clear path to the basket.

it is sad to see the number of people defending a 6’10’ kid crashing into the bleachers as if it’s some textbook strategy.

The problem is the center is usually the slowest person on the team and he’s asking him to cover the most ground with an angle that guarantees he’s taken out of the play with nobody underneath to rebound. It doesn’t make sense. It’s a desperation tactic. If the wing is that important in that game then they should be in a 1-2-2.
Or it results in our center fouling the shooter. I’d rather the closest guard drop down and get there

I took a look at in again too and agree JB might have been a little hard on Sidibe.

The first play: There was no one in the lane and yes Sidibe needs to cheap over by taking a step or two towards the corner because the weak side forward is suppose to rotate down to cover the lane.

(Marek cheated a step or two over and covered the play much better)

The second play: Bede picked him a little but he needs to see that coming and not allow it to happen.

The third play: It was transition but now you let the guy get going.

The bigger issue is you can't allow teams run a simple "option A" actions against your defense and get good looks. No matter the defense you will lose doing that, if a team beats you running their B or C stuff you can live with that.

It's the beginning of the game their running the first option and getting 3 after 3. It can't be allowed
Joe was closest on the third play. Should have been him

Or it results in our center fouling the shooter. I’d rather the closest guard drop down and get there
You mean like this?

1579462045605.png

The guard typically drops down and covers the corner when the ball goes into the paint area and then gets kicked back out. Not when the ball gets swung around the perimeter, which is the play that set JB off.

I don’t care what the plan was after practice. Having your slow footed 6’10” center sprint to contest a corner 3 pointer is more often than not a losing strategy, sorry. Rip him all you want for dumb over the back fouls, missing rebounds, not going up strong. But there’s a reason it’s a running joke on here when our centers are charging to contest corner threes.
The point is that he is out of position when the pass from the wing goes to the corner. He shouldn’t be under the basket he should be splitting the space between the basket and the open man in the corner for a easy closeout.

And how many athletes have warricks freakish measurables? The shooter can pump fake, draw a foul, or drive with a clear path to the basket.

it is sad to see the number of people defending a 6’10’ kid crashing into the bleachers as if it’s some textbook strategy.

I’m convinced you know absolutely nothing about the game called Basketball and you definitely didn’t play this game either

I don’t usually say this, but in this instance I disagree with JB. At least to the extent he took it. We had this discussion in the game thread and I commented it wasn’t as bad as it looked and that Sid was getting out there. After JB went berserk, naturally several posters jumped in agreeing with him and trashing Sid. One of the plays was even a fast break and people thought Sid was at fault they hit a corner jumper.

At halftime I reran the first few minutes and still felt the same way. Sid made an honest effort to get there. The one thing I don’t know is the whole cheating thing. Not sure what that means unless Sid was suppose to stay to that side of the lane and not care about any player in the lane which is kinda dumb.

After seeing this thread this morning I went back to the replay and took a few screenshots. I still contend Sid did his best and maybe there is an issue that caused him to be a split second late, it wasn’t at the level that warranted the over the top tongue lashing.

First one. He flew at him like everyone does and again, if he’s late it’s a split second.

View attachment 175512

Second one, same as the first. He’s there. If anything it’s a split second late but we never see the center get out there and block the shot.

View attachment 175514

This was the third one where we called timeout and the tongue lashing took place. It’s a secondary fast break. Half our guys are getting back and our center is never going to go straight to the corner. Never. The picture is when one player has the ball and is going to kick it to the corner. You can see we have a few players trailing.

View attachment 175515
Great information. Excellent to see this laid out. Thank you.

Virginia Tech is going to be a pain to play against the next four years. All those kids are going to be there forever except maybe Nolley.

The point is that he is out of position when the pass from the wing goes to the corner. He shouldn’t be under the basket he should be splitting the space between the basket and the open man in the corner for a easy closeout.

If I’m the offense, I hope you do that all day. If the center has to get to the corner that means we have pushed the forwards up and are essentially playing a 4-1 or pretty darn close. Put your center between the basket and a corner shooter and I know where I’m attacking and will shoot 100% all day long.

If I’m the offense, I hope you do that all day. If the center has to get to the corner that means we have pushed the forwards up and are essentially playing a 4-1 or pretty darn close. Put your center between the basket and a corner shooter and I know where I’m attacking and will shoot 100% all day long.
The weak side forward moves to the paint he wouldn’t be up gardening no one.

They took 5 more and went 1-5. They were going to take another one but Marek got there and the guy didn’t shoot it.
They took 37 3s...They started shooting 3s over JG3 at the top of the key. JG3 only played 24mins the least he has played since Bucknell which was a blow out.

The reason putting Hughes at the top of the zone for the last play was such a great decision is they where using a size advantage at the top of the zone to shoot over the top.

It is the same reason to don't try to shoot over 6'-10" guy closing out.

They took 37 3s...They started shooting 3s over JG3 at the top of the key. JG3 only played 24mins the least he has played since Bucknell which was a blow out.

The reason putting Hughes at the top of the zone for the last play was such a great decision is they where using a size advantage at the top of the zone to shoot over the top.

It is the same reason to don't try to shoot over 6'-10" guy closing out.

I don’t disagree with any of that. But that’s not what I was talking about. Just that they did take more 3’s from the corner and basically missed them.

I don’t disagree with any of that. But that’s not what I was talking about. Just that they did take more 3’s from the corner and basically missed them.
Yeah I didn't mean literally NO 3s from the corner and it doesn't mean they came from the same action. For example a drive and kick corner 3 is not the center's rotation its either the guard or the forward depending on the action.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom