Sidibe's reaming early in the game. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Sidibe's reaming early in the game.

I think JB was being a bit results oriented since both shots went in. Actually didn’t think Sidibe did a bad job. One of the threes was in transition and was covered by JGIII. The other he had to defend the middle for a split second before contesting the shot.

If we are playing 4-1 and then all is moving quickly, that weak side forward isn’t getting there too often.
We wouldn’t be 4-1 with the ball at the wing. The weak side forward would be 2 passes away in the paint.

Sidibe not doing what he is supposed to in transition.

Last edited:
Yeah I didn't mean literally NO 3s from the corner and it doesn't mean they came from the same action. For example a drive and kick corner 3 is not the center's rotation its either the guard or the forward depending on the action.

What’s strange, I think, is that they took 80% of their shots from their right side. They only made 3 baskets from their left.

The second three was similar to buddy's inbound play. They overloaded four guys to one side leaving Marek and one guy on the far side. Buddy should of recognized that. Beade set a blindside backscreen for the shooter on Sidibe. Buddy needed to rotate right telling Girard to, instead of Hughes rotating up out of the corner. Made it a 2 on 1.

The third three Girard was three lengths ahead of the guy in transition, and the tech guy blew right by him to the corner. Was his fault more. Sidibe wasn't hustling back either, and Hughes and Dolezaj had the basket guarded, Sidibe didn't recognize that and rotate to the other side of the floor. They both deserved a earful, (Girard more), and Buddy a short lesson.

Last edited:
The second three was similar to buddy's inbound play. They overloaded four guys to one side leaving Marek and one guy on the far side. Buddy should of recognized that. Beade set a blindside backscreen for the shooter on Sidibe. Buddy needed to rotate right telling Girard to, instead of Hughes rotating up out of the corner. Made it a 2 on 1.

The third three Girard was three lengths ahead of the guy in transition, and the tech guy blew right by him to the corner. Was his fault more. Sidibe wasn't hustling back either. They both deserved a earful, and Buddy a short lesson.

Sidibe has nothing to do with the translation 3. He was under our basket when buddy missed the shot. There’s no way he’s outrun everyone and be down court and then get to the corner. Strange take.

Dolezaj was under the basket, Hughes had the guy with the ball guarded in transition, sidibe never turned his head to the other side of the court. Maybe He should of recognized that and rotated to the right a bit instead of running the middle of the court (just a wild guess). Girard was more in the wrong then anyone on both plays though, imo. At the same time Sidibe is the Junior.

Last edited:
Sidibe has nothing to do with the translation 3. He was under our basket when buddy missed the shot. There’s no way he’s outrun everyone and be down court and then get to the corner. Strange take.
Girard was actually loafing on that corner three. He did not run hard or he could have been there easily.

Transition defense has no zone principles. The goal it to stop ball and force the opponent to set up their offense. Then we fall back into the zone.

There's also the point Sidibe is the Junior, Girard only a freshmen. He should of moved to forward he saw Dolezaj had center in transition with Hughes on the other wing.

Dolezaj was under the basket, Hughes had the guy with the ball guarded in transition, sidibe never turned his head to the other side of the court. Maybe He should of recognized that and rotated to the right a bit instead of running the middle of the court (just a wild guess). Girard was more in the wrong then anyone on both plays though, imo. At the same time Sidibe is the Junior.

No idea what you’re trying to describe.

There's also the point Sidibe is the Junior, Girard only a freshmen. He should of moved to forward he saw Dolezaj had center in transition.

Has nothing to do with nothing

I don’t usually say this, but in this instance I disagree with JB. At least to the extent he took it. We had this discussion in the game thread and I commented it wasn’t as bad as it looked and that Sid was getting out there. After JB went berserk, naturally several posters jumped in agreeing with him and trashing Sid. One of the plays was even a fast break and people thought Sid was at fault they hit a corner jumper.

At halftime I reran the first few minutes and still felt the same way. Sid made an honest effort to get there. The one thing I don’t know is the whole cheating thing. Not sure what that means unless Sid was suppose to stay to that side of the lane and not care about any player in the lane which is kinda dumb.

After seeing this thread this morning I went back to the replay and took a few screenshots. I still contend Sid did his best and maybe there is an issue that caused him to be a split second late, it wasn’t at the level that warranted the over the top tongue lashing.

First one. He flew at him like everyone does and again, if he’s late it’s a split second.

View attachment 175512

Second one, same as the first. He’s there. If anything it’s a split second late but we never see the center get out there and block the shot.

View attachment 175514

This was the third one where we called timeout and the tongue lashing took place. It’s a secondary fast break. Half our guys are getting back and our center is never going to go straight to the corner. Never. The picture is when one player has the ball and is going to kick it to the corner. You can see we have a few players trailing.

View attachment 175515
Thank you.
Cheating is one thing. But a pick is designed to defeat the cheat. There are simple physics involved, and JB’s concepts and plans don’t defeat physics.

Fact is, JB has a cow after 75% of opponent scores. As if the opponent’s scheme and executions aren’t supposed to have any effect on our own. He also doesn’t assign blame ‘fairly’ and his pets have a lot more immunity than they typically deserve. I’ve not seen Girard incur any wrath after ineffectively ‘closing out’ with one of his ‘I’m gonna point at your waistline after you’ve already released the ball’ defenses.

As noted upthread, it’s an ugly look. A Bobb Knight got away with it, as he was portrayed in media as operating under that ‘military’ discipline thing, and even then it took a certain kind of personality to want to play for him. JB doesn’t have that same ‘aura’ and TS hard to see how his court personality would be attractive to a kid in this era.

You get to know the coach outside of the game to try and make a decision if you want to play for him..

I live in South Carolina and get to see some of their games. There is no coach more deeply involved and more vociferous and animated than Frank Martin. Players will tell you they have been scared of him at times but know that he has their back all the time.

A quick side note about Martin. The small issue that finally made him leave Kansas State was Administration reporting and condemning him for buying breakfast for one of his players who didn't have any money. Kind of lets you know he would value his players even over his job.

Last edited:
It’s simple - if JB wants to stop the running joke of centers doing kamikaze corner sprints, then he needs to stop recruiting lanky centers and start mining the track and field high school leagues for sprint and high jump champions.

Buddy took a rushed long 3 pointer and turned the ball over with under a minute left He must get chewed out at home..

What’s strange, I think, is that they took 80% of their shots from their right side. They only made 3 baskets from their left.
Was Buddy playing top left? If so they pushed the ball to the right as it was an easier path.

Was Buddy playing top left? If so they pushed the ball to the right as it was an easier path.
I don’t think the guards or the forwards have a “set” side. Depending on where they were on the offensive end seems to dictate wherever they end up on the defensive end.

When buddy and joe were together, Joe was mostly on the side where their shots came from but not always. When it was Buddy and HoWash, they kept switching sides. The forwards were doing the same. On the whole between the 3 guards, more shots went up from Joes side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom