Silly question to pass the time... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Silly question to pass the time...

My wife doesn't watch with me because I slowly get closer to the tv as the game goes on. (if struggling)
I also get frustrated if someone asks a stupid question during a game. (Is brandon related to Howard?)
Ask all the stupid questions you want too, as long as it's: pre-game, halftime, commercial break or post game.

I have broken many girlfriends over the years during Cuse games... I'm talking lifting them over my head and slamming em on the ground... I need to get a new girlfriend.

Actually some of my ex-girlfriends are now crazy about SU and yell at the TV when someone makes a mistake.

My husband never watches and my daughter and I have season tickets. However, he'll be watching tonight along with some friends of ours. I wish my hubby were into it! It seems there are very few mates who are well synchronized in this regard.

My wife is as big a fan as I am. SU grad, worked at SU, die hard basketball fan. Always wears orange on game day, cheers, swears and screams just as much as me. In short, I found the perfect woman. She's six months pregnant and still acts this way. She's a keeper.

I'm not a group watcher. I watch alone. I want nobody in the room when I'm watching SU basketball or football. I retreat to my man cave and tolerate no interruptions.

It all started when I was living at Skytop and we were in the hunt playing in San Diego..1975 final four.

A bunch of us decided it was a good time to get a group together and watch the games..along with beer and food. My best friend wasn't a serious BB fan and talked throughout the entire game. That did it for me. Since then I won't tolerate any distractions.

My wife and kids know me well enough to stay clear. My brother.also an SU grad does the same.

Touchy subject, but I kind of like watching alone as well. Last week in Pittsburgh I got into a verbal sparring match with a couple Pittsburgh fans that my wife didn't really appreciated. This morning she asked me how I was going to react if Syracuse lost tonight. I calmly said that Syracuse is not going to lose tonight. All in all we have been to enough games together (high school, college, pro, even CYO) that she knows that I might say something aloud that could borderline on offensive to the wrong person. And that brings me back to my original statement that I kind of like watching alone.

I DVR the game as I watch so I can blow a sequence of expletives better know as descriptive adjectives after each Jim Burr call. Plus, I can justify to my wife that the call was bad and necessitated the flury. I have gotten better over the years at keeping the decibel level low enough to impact just one room in the house...at a time.

I actually just got my girlfriend into sports. She watched all of the NFL playoffs and superbowl with me (she doesn't understand football really yet) and she is watching basketball with me lately. She loves the Heat and it is her favorite sport because of the speed of it. I have her coming over tonight to watch the cuse/wisc game. I explained to her what the NCAA tournament is and she gets the concept of win/go home, so she knows I'm going to be raging at times tonight. She'll throw in a yell or two randomly here and there if she sees im really pissed like Brick in Anchorman.

I even got her a Heat and NYG t-shirt she wears for their games and for our 6 month aniversary I'm taking her to see a Heat game. I think she may be a keeper! Next and final step is getting her into the Cuse, but its only a matter of time as with her its like molding a lump of clay because she has no affiliations.

Initially my wife thought I was deranged. She quite possibly would never have married me, until I brought her home and we went to the mall and then to a hoop game in the Dome. She met my family and friends. Later when we were alone she told me she was sorry and realized that it was not my fault. I was a victim of my environment! Now she just walks away or clams up when I do not answer right away during an SU game. The worst part now when SU is down is my son who for some reason contuinually asks..."are they going to come back? Is SU still going to win?" I resist the urge to scream "How the f do I know?" Instead I usually respond with "They still can. Don't give up yet." The UC game was the worst. First of all because my wife (UC grad) sat there with a smile on all night. @#(&)+! Secondly because I firmly believe that if that game had been 1 minute longer SU would've won. Basically, I have matured and mostly just get quiet...real quiet. I still do not answer the phone during games when they're down.

Give her a fifty and send her to get a pedi this evening, please & thank you.

That, MGP. is the definition of "win-win". Brilliant. And between the end of the regular season, the BET and the NCAAT your wife will have a complete makeover $50 at a time.

my wife watches every game with me and usually has the same thoughts about the game/players as I do.. of course I am usually pacing around the living room, yelling at the TV that the game is over (I usually say this at least once in the 1st half after SU finds themselves stuck on 20 points while the opposing team hits a 3 that comes after a turnover) -- while she just sits there and tells me 'everything will be ok' -- haha, she is amazing!

How many of you are able to watch the game with your spouse or significant other and how many of you struggle with this because of the let's just say "rapid swings of emotion"?

While I would love to say the former, if Syracuse starts off slowly (which seems to be most of the time), my wife watches with me for awhile and then leaves because she cannot take it That said, once we both know the final score, or if Syracuse is doing well there is no problem.

I would love to say I am a more mature fan and spouse than this, but alas I cannot. I really cannot have a meaningful conversation with anyone during the game until we are doing well. Am I alone?

OK, enough true confessions...

My wife has turned into a big SU hoops fan. She's from NJ. She has been watching Syracuse going back to the Pearl, and the passing on that team, and then the Sherman Douglas teams, is what hooked her. That and all the alley oops. She recognizes "Syracuse Basketball" - the funky, run and dunk style that we play, and she loves it.

She likes to say, "I've known Jim Boeheim almost as long as I've known you" (coming up on 30 years ...). She even got to meet JB a couple times at the old ABCD camp in Hackensack. How cool is that that my wife went to high school all-star camps with me to watch potential recruits ??

I usually go out to watch games now. I get too nervouse at home. At home, my husband and I usually end up fighting during the games. This has been going on for 31 years!!! So a sports bar is a better place. We get a group together, but NEVER sit next to one another!!! He usually says stuff that annoys me. LOL. If other people at game watching start to annoy me, I move to another TV in the restaurant. Did that last game. And sat by myself.
My kids are grown, but they were "abused Syracuse basketball kids!!" Wouldn't even apply there when the time came.
If we win in Boston tho, going to New Orleans with my younger son!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom