Silly question to pass the time... | Syracusefan.com

Silly question to pass the time...

mark79

All Conference
How many of you are able to watch the game with your spouse or significant other and how many of you struggle with this because of the let's just say "rapid swings of emotion"?

While I would love to say the former, if Syracuse starts off slowly (which seems to be most of the time), my wife watches with me for awhile and then leaves because she cannot take it That said, once we both know the final score, or if Syracuse is doing well there is no problem.

I would love to say I am a more mature fan and spouse than this, but alas I cannot. I really cannot have a meaningful conversation with anyone during the game until we are doing well. Am I alone?

OK, enough true confessions...

I've broken many chairs in my day... I'm talking lifting them off the ground and slamming on the ground... I need to grow up :noidea:

Unless we are delivering an a$$-kicking, the family knows to stay clear while I'm watching Syracuse basketball games.

My wife typically leaves the room when I'm watching Syracuse, for various reasons. First, because I get riled up. Second, because when that happens, I tend to get angry and swear a lot. Third, and I'd chalk this up to coincidence except it happens all...the...time, we seem to play horribly whenever she's in the room watching. I can't remember what game it was, but earlier this season we were winning early, my wife got home from work and the other team went on like an 11-2 run to take the lead, and as soon as she left the room we responded with a run of our own and never looked back.

What I'm trying to say, I guess, is that my wife is a Syracuse jinx.

My wife typically leaves the room when I'm watching Syracuse, for various reasons. First, because I get riled up. Second, because when that happens, I tend to get angry and swear a lot. Third, and I'd chalk this up to coincidence except it happens all...the...time, we seem to play horribly whenever she's in the room watching. I can't remember what game it was, but earlier this season we were winning early, my wife got home from work and the other team went on like an 11-2 run to take the lead, and as soon as she left the room we responded with a run of our own and never looked back.

Looks like you chose the wrong one man :noidea:

Oh, I suppose she's worth the Syracuse related trouble.

My 10 year old son told me that if we make it to the NC game this year, he is buying ear plugs.

some of her moves in the past (reading, getting up during play, talking to the children) have nearly cost us wins. I watch alone in the basement now...while painting....

My wife yells at me the whole time. " Tells me to shut the hell up, it's just a game." stuff like that.

Wow am I relieved to find out I'm not the only one. This is better than therapy :)

Give her a fifty and send her to get a pedi this evening, please & thank you.

My wife is a fan but is always a multi-tasker, meaning she is watching the game but reading, or picking up, or any little task instead of being glued to the set like her hubby. Anything she is doing drives me nuts and distracts my viewing. My son likes to shoot on his Nerf hoop set during the game as well. I can't undeerstand why they can't focus on the task at hand:bang:

My wife now knows to not even try to talk to me about anything when a big game is on. A typical convo would go along these lines..

wife" Honey...blah blah blah blah"

me: "you realize I have no idea what you are saying right now"

wife: "Oh..syracuse game...I forgot..."

but by the second half she's sitting next to me and SHE is overreacting to every play and just as much into it as I am...in fact after the cincy game she was nearly in tears...i told her she needs to save the emotion for the tourney...

of course once the baby boy comes around and starts breaking stuff and throwing sharp objects with velocity atypical for a one year old...the game gets paused until our safety can be established

A few years ago while the building of my place was delayed, I lived a few months with my parents.

My dad is a hockey fan (canadian), but he would come down to watch basketball. He would get frustrated, and start shouting "Shoot the ***** Ball" every posession, over and over. It was annoying - I could tolerate it for Raptors games. But I asked him to leave for most Syracuse games.

At first early on, way early on, the mrs. was a bit taken aback at my antics during games which is counterintuitive to my usual personality in that I act much like the rest of you guys it sounds like.....that is like a 4 year old whose toys were taken away except with much saltier language. And like most gals she had no interest in sports AT ALL back then.

However as time wore on I must have wore her down as now, and if you had told me this would happen years ago I'd never believed it, now I got her wearing Cuse garb on all game days right along with me, she actually laughs and gets a kick out of my ridiculous in game actions usually watching and hanging with me, loves going to the games (thanks Club 44!) and she's praying right along with me that we make it to the FF. It's actually awesome. Go 'Cuse the Mrs. wants to go to New Orleans!!

My mom hates watching games with my Dad and I. I called home at halftime of the UConn game earlier this year and she told me that they were watching the games in separate rooms because she couldn't stand listening to my dad preach about boxing out. It's funny how things work out, though. My Dad was in Germany on a business trip when we won the 2003 Championship, and he just got scheduled for a trip to China the weekend of the Final Four.

How many of you are able to watch the game with your spouse or significant other and how many of you struggle with this because of the let's just say "rapid swings of emotion"?

While I would love to say the former, if Syracuse starts off slowly (which seems to be most of the time), my wife watches with me for awhile and then leaves because she cannot take it That said, once we both know the final score, or if Syracuse is doing well there is no problem.

I would love to say I am a more mature fan and spouse than this, but alas I cannot. I really cannot have a meaningful conversation with anyone during the game until we are doing well. Am I alone?

OK, enough true confessions...

i cant even have a normal conversation if we are doing well.

I become like a little child. My heart starts racing, i get over excited, and probably become annoying.

My wife now knows to not even try to talk to me about anything when a big game is on. A typical convo would go along these lines..

wife" Honey...blah blah blah blah"

me: "you realize I have no idea what you are saying right now"

wife: "Oh..syracuse game...I forgot..."

but by the second half she's sitting next to me and SHE is overreacting to every play and just as much into it as I am...in fact after the cincy game she was nearly in tears...i told her she needs to save the emotion for the tourney...

of course once the baby boy comes around and starts breaking stuff and throwing sharp objects with velocity atypical for a one year old...the game gets paused until our safety can be established

You're a lucky man... I get the Blah Blah Blah too, then I get yelled at for not listening!

My wife gets caught up in the games too. I'm too stressed though. Normally I grunt, groan or shoot my arm up and cheer. We had a wonderful dog, she didn't understand, she thought she was doing something wrong and quietly slunk out of the room duirng every Cuse game.

No spouse but I only like to watch games with my one friend. Been friends since we were 5 and watched every game through the 03 run. When other people are around it doesn't feel right, feel like I have to include them on our celebrations and it's not as comfortable since they're not quite as into it. My friend and I have the same intensity and necessity to do superstitions. His girlfriend will be here tonight along with another friend. It's good to get this off my chest because the vibe is bugging me.

My family knows better than to watch a game with me. Once I was watching a game and typically yelling at the tv in my den and my 6 year old grandson can in and said, "Papa why are you yelling at the tv-you know they can't hear you don't you?" Classic-but I rolled with laughter.

No spouse but I only like to watch games with my one friend. Been friends since we were 5 and watched every game through the 03 run. When other people are around it doesn't feel right, feel like I have to include them on our celebrations and it's not as comfortable since they're not quite as into it. My friend and I have the same intensity and necessity to do superstitions. His girlfriend will be here tonight along with another friend. It's good to get this off my chest because the vibe is bugging me.

I would lock the girlfriend and the other friend in the closet out of superstition. She may not be your friend's grilfriend any longer by the end of the game however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom