Simone Biles | Syracusefan.com

Simone Biles

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Landed awkwardly after her vault and went right to the locker room. Returned in sweats.

Landed awkwardly after her vault and went right to the locker room. Returned in sweats.

I know Biles is a gymnastics legend but man this has to be one or the worst outcomes for an American Star that I can remember.

NY post reporting Bukes withdraw not due to a physical injury but due to a psychological concern.

NY post reporting Bukes withdraw not due to a physical injury but due to a psychological concern.

NBC "reported" that according to an asst coach, she wasn't injured, but NBC has since walked that back.

This has been an utterly disappointing Olympics across the board. Still time for the T&F team to right the ship, and they will...we will run up the score there, but still...ROW has caught us in the pool, the court, and on the mats. Curious to see how these respective programs adjust moving forward.

As an aside, Simone Biles is the greatest gymnast in history, but I went into this Olympics maintaining Phelps the greatest Olympian, and this only cements that for me.

At this point I am unclear what is a worse look for her...having this be her ending, or having her come back and compete for individual medals after letting the team down.

Thoughts on Biles stepping out that way?

Listening to local radio: Manchild this morning said that she'll take extra heat for withdrawing from the team competition but then competing, (if she does), in the individual competition. It makes her look like she cares more for herself than the team.

On Orange Nation at Noon, Steve Infanti just said that he felt it was a selfless act to withdraw from the team competition because she felt she couldn't help the team as much as her back-up. And only Simone BIles knew was she was and was not capable of at that time. If she competes and loses in the individual competition, that just hurts her and not her teammates.

I'm leaning toward the latter interpretation.

Could be seen both ways if she wasn't into it mentally better to let another member who is probably dying to compete take a crack at it. That said her overall persona and the celebrity will undoubtedly take a massive hit from her withdrawing due to a non physical injury. Obviously mental health issues are a real thing but this will end any talk of her being any where near Phelps or other legends.

She, like everyone, should put her body and mind first, especially if she felt in a mind-state where she could hurt herself or her team.

At the same time, no idea why so many on Twitter need to enthusiastically applaud her for that and still say she’s the GOAT.

She pulled out of an Olympic event and it affected her teammates. That’s not something a GOAT does. Doesn’t mean she’s wrong for it, but some people are bizarrely aggressive in praising her right now.

She, like everyone, should put her body and mind first, especially if she felt in a mind-state where she could hurt herself or her team.

At the same time, no idea why so many on Twitter need to enthusiastically applaud her for that and still say she’s the GOAT.

She pulled out of an Olympic event and it affected her teammates. That’s not something a GOAT does. Doesn’t mean she’s wrong for it, but some people are bizarrely aggressive in praising her right now.

A good portion of people put a lot of stock in her dominating again this Olympics and making her mark as one of the best ever, with what's happened so far people are doubling down because they don't want to have to admit that its gone way south and if she's unable to compete in the individual you could call it a disasterous performance.

Doesn’t mean she’s wrong for it, but some people are bizarrely aggressive in praising her right now.

this was my take as well. It’s a SAD thing, not a good thing to say ”yay! She was so stressed out, she was about to have a panic attack! yas queen”.

the idea that this is a good thing is very bizarre to me.

..and no I don’t attack her for doing it at all.

Sort of where I am it.. I trust she absolutely knows her body and mind damn well at this point and if she legitimately believed she would be a detriment to her team or put herself at legit injury risk, I understand. But it's surely a disappoint and the recognition regarding the decision is a bit strange to me.

She is the best gymnast in the world, and this could have been the moment where she became the best of all time.

I'm not a fan of the broad "mental" terminology given as the reason for stepping down.

Why now, why at this moment after years and years of mental and physical practicing, and the mental load of dealing with marketing and media sucess do you step down now?

If it's because you went into the Olympics too confident and didn't train as you should have? Was it a psychological / panic attack?

You can argue both sides of it. On the one hand you feel for her. She is still a kid and has the weight of the world on her.

On the other hand she is part of a team. She is the best on the team and not competing hurts the team. She felt fatigue from the pressure but that doesn't help the team as you are shifting that pressure from yourself to them. It is also a distraction for the rest of the team. They are not going to perform as well. Plus they are not as talented as she is. She probably should have given it a go in the first event and then sat out the rest if need be.

You have to wonder if they were in 1st after yesterday does this even happen? Does she feel the pressure?

In the end it is what it is. I don't think one can take a strong stance either way. It happened and you move on.

I don't doubt that she is going through a lot right now, but they probably should have a PR person release a better statement. Saying "it is not fun for me right now" comes across as not being mental health related.

I don't doubt that she is going through a lot right now, but they probably should have a PR person release a better statement. Saying "it is not fun for me right now" comes across as not being mental health related.

Dougie puts his two cents in on this article.The girl was sexually assaulted and she is still just 24. There really isn't any ground to stand on to criticize her for this.

Dougie puts his two cents in on this article.The girl was s e xually assaulted and she is still just 24. There really isn't any ground to stand on to criticize her for this.

Four years ago she was 20 and I assume the sexual assault had occurred before that.

There aren't a lot of 24 year old gym champions these days. Maybe she's just over the hill?

Dougie puts his two cents in on this article.The girl was s e xually assaulted and she is still just 24. There really isn't any ground to stand on to criticize her for this.
Seriously, the "reporters" in this video commenting on this have zero (or maybe even negative) credibility. One white male who does have the perspective (Michael Phelps) was much more empathetic and measured in his response

The reactions in that video is exactly why someone in PR should release a better statement. What she said can be interpreted the wrong way. Saying it isn't fun anymore or there was too much pressure isn't mental health. I believe her when she says that she has mental health issues, that needs to be the narrative not what she said. The way it has been communicated has been totally wrong.

The reactions in that video is exactly why someone in PR should release a better statement. What she said can be interpreted the wrong way. Saying it isn't fun anymore or there was too much pressure isn't mental health. I believe her when she says that she has mental health issues, that needs to be the narrative not what she said. The way it has been communicated has been totally wrong.

I hear you but every single person who is out there running their mouths knows that it's more than that and is just using her as a chance to get some additional airtime. So when everyone really knows she has every reason to step away but the messaging wasn't better it's on Simone and her PR to be better?? People who want to use that as an excuse are just sad but they are entitled to do what they please.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom