Simone Biles | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Simone Biles

I will never know what it takes to do what Simone does, just like I will never know what it feels like to suddenly lack the confidence to be able to do what is second nature. I was surprised to learn that there is a name for it: “the twisties.” That tells me it happens enough that it is not just Simone.
The only thing I remember somewhat like it is when Greg Louganis hit the back of his head on the platform. That’s all about timing and spacing. He had to have his confidence shaken. He had it stitched up and bounced back to win gold.
That said, none of it impacts me, so I don’t really care.

Only thing I wanted to add on this topic is that the term "twisties" sounds far too benign to describe someone losing their place in a physical activity that sends them airborne.

I'm sure it was used to help coax kids back in the game but it sounds too much (as HOFCeluck referenced earlier) like a soft serve choice than accurately defining what's at risk.

Only thing I wanted to add on this topic is that the term "twisties" sounds far too benign to describe someone losing their place in a physical activity that sends them airborne.

I'm sure it was used to help coax kids back in the game but it sounds too much (as HOFCeluck referenced earlier) like a soft serve choice than accurately defining what's at risk.
While at distances in the air two to three times their actually height. And spinning, and flipping, and landing on something not as forgiving as we might think.

Its essentially the "Yips", like golf or baseball (obviously more dangerous to the athlete.) The most powerful muscle is the mind. Two guys in baseball who come to mind with the Yips are Chuck Knoblauch and Dale Murphy. Many don't know that Murphy, a terrific centerfielder and hitter, (and maybe an old -timers HOF selection some day), started as a catcher, but got the Yips and couldn't throw back to the mound.

Its essentially the "Yips", like golf or baseball (obviously more dangerous to the athlete.) The most powerful muscle is the mind. Two guys in baseball who come to mind with the Yips are Chuck Knoblauch and Dale Murphy. Many don't know that Murphy, a terrific centerfielder and hitter, (and maybe an old -timers HOF selection some day), started as a catcher, but got the Yips and couldn't throw back to the mound.
This legend had the yips too.

th

I understand the comparison. "Yips" is fine to describe someone shanking a putt or unable to throw to first base.

But Chuck Knoblauch and Jean van de Velde never risked broken limbs or paralysis when they got the yips.

I understand the comparison. "Yips" is fine to describe someone shanking a putt or unable to throw to first base.

But Chuck Knoblauch and Jean van de Velde never risked broken limbs or paralysis when they got the yips.
So, you agree with my very first sentence. “Its essentially the "Yips", like golf or baseball (obviously more dangerous.)”

So, you agree with my very first sentence. “Its essentially the "Yips", like golf or baseball (obviously more dangerous.)”
Not sure what your point is…

I understand that “twisties” is meant to characterize the gymnastics equivalent of the yips.

The whole point of my post was the word “twisties” is a very tame word that doesn’t quite capture the physical risk associated with a gymnast getting the yips.

Last edited:
Not sure what your point is…

I understand that “twisties” is meant to characterize the gymnastics equivalent of the yips.

The whole point of my post was the word “twisties” is a very tame word that doesn’t quite capture the physical risk associated with a gymnast getting the yips.
I understood your post to imply that I had not considered the differences in risk for those with the Yips vs the Twisties (although, those running to 1st base when Knoblauch was throwing were certainly in physical peril). Sorry that I misunderstood your position.

Every gymnast knows the danger of the twisties. Some gym parents on the other hand...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom