Simone Biles | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Simone Biles

I hear you but every single person who is out there running their mouths knows that it's more than that and is just using her as a chance to get some additional airtime. So when everyone really knows she has every reason to step away but the messaging wasn't better it's on Simone and her PR to be better?? People who want to use that as an excuse are just sad but they are entitled to do what they please.

See i don't think they do know. They are reacting to her words and not her meaning. Her words come off as an entitled millennial. That is not what she meant, so yes she should communicate better. If she didn't talk to the media and released a worded statement that was reviewed by a professional, none of this IMO would be happening.

See i don't think they do know. They are reacting to her words and not her meaning. Her words come off as an entitled millennial. That is not what she meant, so yes she should communicate better. If she didn't talk to the media and released a worded statement that was reviewed by a professional, none of this IMO would be happening.

Do you think most of the world doesn't know she was assaulted just like so many other girls? We excuse the ignorance play too much. The fact those who have come after her in the press have gotten lambasted in response is more telling to me than that they actually said what they did. Those speaking out are well known trolls who like to stir the pot.

Do you think most of the world doesn't know she was assaulted just like so many other girls? We excuse the ignorance play too much. The fact those who have come after her in the press have gotten lambasted in response is more telling to me than that they actually said what they did. Those speaking out are well known trolls who like to stir the pot.

i think most of the world doesn’t pay attention to gymnastics outside of the Olympics, which was last 5 years ago. So some people don’t know or don’t remember.

I also don’t think pundits saying her not performing was courageous helps the matter. She didn’t have a choice since she was debilitated by her mental health. It WAS courageous to share why she couldn’t perform as she could have easily blamed an injury. Implying that she had a choice in the matter shows ignorance to the issue and opens potential backlash.

i think most of the world doesn’t pay attention to gymnastics outside of the Olympics, which was last 5 years ago. So some people don’t know or don’t remember.

I also don’t think pundits saying her not performing was courageous helps the matter. She didn’t have a choice since she was debilitated by her mental health. It WAS courageous to share why she couldn’t perform as she could have easily blamed an injury. Implying that she had a choice in the matter shows ignorance to the issue and opens potential backlash.
Well said. My biggest turn off in all this has nothing to do with Simone Biles, it has to do with all these weirdos using her for clout to get likes as they heap random praise on her for being a true champion etc.

No. Im sorry… but a true champion would’ve gone out and won the gold. That is what champions do.

That doesn’t mean she’s not the best gymnast in the world and it doesn’t mean she should be criticized for dropping out.

This social media trend where people act like she’s being attacked from all over, only to overly-defend her is so weird. There’s like 5-10 high profile jackasses attacking her, and even most of them are attacking her, mistakenly, due to the over the top praise she’s receiving for what was just a tough situation that she handled well.

No. Im sorry… but a true champion would’ve gone out and won the gold. That is what champions do.

That doesn’t mean she’s not the best gymnast in the world and it doesn’t mean she should be criticized for dropping out.
But LI, how do you reconcile those two sentences? Doesn't saying she's not behaving in a way befitting a champion constitute criticizing Simone Biles?

But LI, how do you reconcile those two sentences? Doesn't saying she's not behaving in a way befitting a champion constitute criticizing Simone Biles?
I didn’t say she’s not behaving a way befitting a champion though… I’m just saying, she’s not a champion currently at the Olympics. She didn’t win the gold. Dropping out because of valid reasons doesn’t equate to winning the gold.

People are just over the top in their adoration, and it’s weird to me. She’s barely getting criticized (relatively speaking), yet people are defending her - valid - and then going so far to celebrate her over people like her teammates who truly had to step up in a massive moment.

Simone is completely valid to drop out given her mental health issues, but we don’t need to go over the top celebrating it. We can simply acknowledge that mental health concerns are valid and Simone was justified.

I’ve dealt with anxiety in my life. I get it. If I felt I couldn’t perform in some aspect of my life due to my anxiety, I’d hope people would understand, but I wouldn’t expect them to celebrate me for it… because I wouldn’t celebrate myself for it. I’d be frustrated with myself and feel like I need to work past what held me back for however long I struggled with it.

The US Media, as they're want to do, screwed this up for everyone, including Ms. Biles. She's a Champion, arguably the best ever at what she does, let her train and perform. That should be it. That's what she owes herself, her US Gymnastics team, her Country, etc etc.

She doesn't "owe" becoming a "media darling" and constant expectations rising and interpretation and analyzation...now, I understand people will say "well, she's profiting from those advertisements, isn't she?!" but I don't believe it's remotely an equal game where these Media types build up and share & share alike. More like they build up, pilfer and discard...I would have concern that a Gymnastics star would not have the savvy team an NFL QB, for instance, would have to ensure she's not being taken advantage of...

Basically, American Media & Culture is despicable. Anything less than a perfect 10 is a failure, "oh, look, she failed, let's blow her up". Just my view.

I didn’t say she’s not behaving a way befitting a champion though… I’m just saying, she’s not a champion currently at the Olympics. She didn’t win the gold. Dropping out because of valid reasons doesn’t equate to winning the gold.

People are just over the top in their adoration, and it’s weird to me. She’s barely getting criticized (relatively speaking), yet people are defending her - valid - and then going so far to celebrate her over people like her teammates who truly had to step up in a massive moment.

Simone is completely valid to drop out given her mental health issues, but we don’t need to go over the top celebrating it. We can simply acknowledge that mental health concerns are valid and Simone was justified.

I’ve dealt with anxiety in my life. I get it. If I felt I couldn’t perform in some aspect of my life due to my anxiety, I’d hope people would understand, but I wouldn’t expect them to celebrate me for it… because I wouldn’t celebrate myself for it. I’d be frustrated with myself and feel like I need to work past what held me back for however long I struggled with it.
These Olympics were supposed to cement her legacy as one of the best Olympians of all time, as she was expected to help Team USA win a third straight gold and become the most decorated gymnast ever. We were all ready to put her on Mt. Rushmore with Phelps, Spitz, and Owens.

OK, so that didn't happen. To your point, now people still want her up on Mt. Rushmore, but that's not how it works. She's still the greatest gymnast of all time based off what she's done the last eight years. We just can't say she earned something she didn't earn, even if she deserved to.

And to be clear, she's still a hero and she's still brave for how she's handled this. Her injury is as legitimate as a broken leg. I would also blame USAG for failing to recognize what was going on with her as far back as the trials here in St. Louis (or just plain ignoring it) and not getting her the help she obviously needs. This was correctable. She could have gone to Tokyo and cleaned house. She doesn't deserve any blame whatsoever.

Some interesting perspective.

This realization I had about Simone Biles is gonna make some people mad, but oh well.
Yesterday I was excited to show my daughters Kerri Strug's famous one-leg vault. It was a defining Olympic moment that I watched live as a kid, and my girls watched raptly as Strug fell, and then limped back to leap again.

But for some reason I wasn't as inspired watching it this time. In fact, I felt a little sick. Maybe being a father and teacher has made me soft, but all I could see was how Kerri Strug looked at her coach, Bela Karolyi, with pleading, terrified eyes, while he shouted back "You can do it!" over and over again.

My daughters didn't cheer when Strug landed her second vault. Instead they frowned in concern as she collapsed in agony and frantic tears.

"Why did she jump again if she was hurt?" one of my girls asked. I made some inane reply about the heart of a champion or Olympic spirit, but in the back of my mind a thought was festering:

*She shouldn't have jumped again*

The more the thought echoed, the stronger my realization became. Coach Karolyi should have gotten his visibly injured athlete medical help immediately! Now that I have two young daughters in gymnastics, I expect their safety to be the coach's number one priority. Instead, Bela Karolyi told Strug to vault again. And he got what he wanted; a gold medal that was more important to him than his athlete's health.

I'm sure people will say "Kerri Strug was a competitor--she WANTED to push through the injury." That's probably true. But since the last Olympics we've also learned these athletes were put into positions where they could be systematically abused both emotionally and physically, all while being inundated with "win at all costs" messaging. A teenager under those conditions should have been protected, and told "No medal is worth the risk of permanent injury." In fact, we now know that Strug's vault wasn't even necessary to clinch the gold; the U.S. already had an insurmountable lead. Nevertheless, Bela Karolyi told her to vault again according to his own recounting of their conversation:

"I can't feel my leg," Strug told Karolyi.

"We got to go one more time," Karolyi said. "Shake it out."

"Do I have to do this again?" Strug asked.

"Can you, can you?" Karolyi wanted to know.

"I don't know yet," said Strug. "I will do it. I will, I will."

The injury forced Strug's retirement at 18 years old. Dominique Moceanu, a generational talent, also retired from injuries shortly after. They were top gymnasts literally pushed to the breaking point, and then put out to pasture. Coach Karolyi and Larry Nassar (the serial sexual abuser) continued their long careers, while the athletes were treated as a disposable resource.

Today Simone Biles--the greatest gymnast of all time--chose to step back from the competition, citing concerns for mental and physical health. I've already seen comments and posts about how Biles "failed her country", "quit on us", or "can't be the greatest if she can't handle the pressure." Those statements are no different than Coach Karolyi telling an injured teen with wide, frightened eyes: "We got to go one more time. Shake it out."

The subtext here is: "Our gold medal is more important than your well-being."

Our athletes shouldn't have to destroy themselves to meet our standards. If giving empathetic, authentic support to our Olympians means we'll earn less gold medals, I'm happy to make that trade.

Here's the message I hope we can send to Simone Biles: You are an outstanding athlete, a true role model, and a powerful woman. Nothing will change that. Please don't sacrifice your emotional or physical well-being for our entertainment or national pride. We are proud of you for being brave enough to compete, and proud of you for having the wisdom to know when to step back. Your choice makes you an even better example to our daughters than you were before. WE'RE STILL ROOTING FOR YOU!

This realization I had about Simone Biles is gonna make some people mad, but oh well.
Yesterday I was excited to show my daughters Kerri Strug's famous one-leg vault. It was a defining Olympic moment that I watched live as a kid, and my girls watched raptly as Strug fell, and then limped back to leap again.

But for some reason I wasn't as inspired watching it this time. In fact, I felt a little sick. Maybe being a father and teacher has made me soft, but all I could see was how Kerri Strug looked at her coach, Bela Karolyi, with pleading, terrified eyes, while he shouted back "You can do it!" over and over again.

My daughters didn't cheer when Strug landed her second vault. Instead they frowned in concern as she collapsed in agony and frantic tears.

"Why did she jump again if she was hurt?" one of my girls asked. I made some inane reply about the heart of a champion or Olympic spirit, but in the back of my mind a thought was festering:

The more the thought echoed, the stronger my realization became. Coach Karolyi should have gotten his visibly injured athlete medical help immediately! Now that I have two young daughters in gymnastics, I expect their safety to be the coach's number one priority. Instead, Bela Karolyi told Strug to vault again. And he got what he wanted; a gold medal that was more important to him than his athlete's health.

I'm sure people will say "Kerri Strug was a competitor--she WANTED to push through the injury." That's probably true. But since the last Olympics we've also learned these athletes were put into positions where they could be systematically abused both emotionally and physically, all while being inundated with "win at all costs" messaging. A teenager under those conditions should have been protected, and told "No medal is worth the risk of permanent injury." In fact, we now know that Strug's vault wasn't even necessary to clinch the gold; the U.S. already had an insurmountable lead. Nevertheless, Bela Karolyi told her to vault again according to his own recounting of their conversation:

The injury forced Strug's retirement at 18 years old. Dominique Moceanu, a generational talent, also retired from injuries shortly after. They were top gymnasts literally pushed to the breaking point, and then put out to pasture. Coach Karolyi and Larry Nassar (the serial s e xual abuser) continued their long careers, while the athletes were treated as a disposable resource.

Today Simone Biles--the greatest gymnast of all time--chose to step back from the competition, citing concerns for mental and physical health. I've already seen comments and posts about how Biles "failed her country", "quit on us", or "can't be the greatest if she can't handle the pressure." Those statements are no different than Coach Karolyi telling an injured teen with wide, frightened eyes: "We got to go one more time. Shake it out."

Our athletes shouldn't have to destroy themselves to meet our standards. If giving empathetic, authentic support to our Olympians means we'll earn less gold medals, I'm happy to make that trade.

Here's the message I hope we can send to Simone Biles: You are an outstanding athlete, a true role model, and a powerful woman. Nothing will change that. Please don't sacrifice your emotional or physical well-being for our entertainment or national pride. We are proud of you for being brave enough to compete, and proud of you for having the wisdom to know when to step back. Your choice makes you an even better example to our daughters than you were before. WE'RE STILL ROOTING FOR YOU!
I agree with all of that.

That entire post is a fantastic response to what transpired with Simone Biles.

If we saw more of that, and less “ackshuallyyy that’s what a true champion does” type responses, I think the small amount of detractors (Charlie Kirk cough cough) would be even further out on an island.

There’s a difference between pushing yourself, knowing your body, and knowing it’s physical pain or mental anxiety that won’t permanently damage you… quite another when your mental block could paralyze you or physical damage could lead to an early retirement/life-long issues.

The injury forced Strug's retirement at 18 years old. Dominique Moceanu, a generational talent, also retired from injuries shortly after. They were top gymnasts literally pushed to the breaking point, and then put out to pasture. Coach Karolyi and Larry Nassar (the serial s e xual abuser) continued their long careers, while the athletes were treated as a disposable resource.

On the one hand it is amateurism so there is no reason to have her push through the injury. If it were professional sports I wouldn't feel the same.

What should happen IMO is the Olympics should have an independent doctor evaluate the athlete and determine if it is safe to go on. If that doctor said go ahead, then it shouldn't be an issue.

64B4CE1B-89D5-40EE-9A97-0FCA7D92E9AE.jpeg

She, like everyone, should put her body and mind first, especially if she felt in a mind-state where she could hurt herself or her team.

At the same time, no idea why so many on Twitter need to enthusiastically applaud her for that and still say she’s the GOAT.

She pulled out of an Olympic event and it affected her teammates. That’s not something a GOAT does. Doesn’t mean she’s wrong for it, but some people are bizarrely aggressive in praising her right now.
She's undoubtedly still the GOAT gymnast. I think people have been aggressively praising her because they're trying to set the tone that mental health is something that we need to take more seriously and they're trying to combat all the "She just quit because she knew she was going to lose for the first time" stuff that was being thrown out there.

I'm not going to praise or attack her personally. I'm just sad that this seems to be how her career is going to end after how insanely special she's been the whole time.

I don't think she wanted to ever come back. Think she felt obligated in part to continue to put a spotlight on the Nasser situation and the horrendous by USAG.

Think she had to pull out of the events when she realized she was checked out mentally and with the stuff that she does that could literally kill her. The unknown is did she also sense she wasn't able to reach her usual level now that she is 24 and did that weigh on her mentally too.

As with most things we will never know and can only hope she emerges a happier person.

Congrats also to Suni Lee who has a lot on her plate (injury, Dad's accident) as well. It's amazing how some of these kids can compartmentalize and move on.

I don't think she wanted to ever come back. Think she felt obligated in part to continue to put a spotlight on the Nasser situation and the horrendous by USAG.

Think she had to pull out of the events when she realized she was checked out mentally and with the stuff that she does that could literally kill her. The unknown is did she also sense she wasn't able to reach her usual level now that she is 24 and did that weigh on her mentally too.

As with most things we will never know and can only hope she emerges a happier person.

Congrats also to Suni Lee who has a lot on her plate (injury, Dad's accident) as well. It's amazing how some of these kids can compartmentalize and move on.

If Simone put up the same scores she achieved on June 6 at the US Championships, she would have won the All-Around easily (60.100). Physically, she could still compete at a world class level.

Lee did a 57.433 today.

I think she wanted to come back for the 2020 olympics had they happened last year as scheduled. Extending it out is likely what did her in.

She’s still the GOAT. Read about the moves that are named after her that only she has ever completed in a competition. Insane athleticism

Even the highest fliers experience low energy times. Let’s all remember this as fans!

BAE54B5E-4C17-4229-97F8-7411DE1BF2DA.gif

I heard she got the twisties. If you aren't familiar with the term, it is basically not knowing where you are in the air while doing all of these crazy things. My daughter got them and her coach dialed her back until she got rid of them. At the time my daughter was working on doing a triple full. If she continued to work on that skill with the twisties, she may have been seriously hurt. Now look at what Simone does and how powerful and high she gets. Either way, she IS the best ever. She is absolutely unbelievable and a sweet, intelligent young woman who has represented herself, her sport and her country extremely well over the years. It's a shame that this had to happen, and worse that people question her motivation.

I heard she got the twisties. If you aren't familiar with the term, it is basically not knowing where you are in the air while doing all of these crazy things. My daughter got them and her coach dialed her back until she got rid of them. At the time my daughter was working on doing a triple full. If she continued to work on that skill with the twisties, she may have been seriously hurt. Now look at what Simone does and how powerful and high she gets. Either way, she IS the best ever. She is absolutely unbelievable and a sweet, intelligent young woman who has represented herself, her sport and her country extremely well over the years. It's a shame that this had to happen, and worse that people question her motivation.

Bonnie Bernstein made a post on instagram talking about this

Joe Girard gets the twisties whenever he goes to DQ. Vanilla and Chocolate twisties, every time.

Wow.

Didn't expect that in this thread. You win the internet for today, HOF.

need to be tough both mentally and physically to be a champion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom