Simple change to Dome appearance | Syracusefan.com

Simple change to Dome appearance

SUinNYC

2nd String
So with the new IPF officially announced, I was thinking about some other changes that could be made before we begin play in the ACC. We aren't going to fix our attendance problem overnight. But it would be nice if we could make a aesthetic improvement to the Dome while also potentially making it look far less empty. It's been discussed before, but I had to see it with my own eyes.

What if this crowd?
Syracuse-1024x768.jpg

Could look like this?
orangebenches.jpg

Okay, so I ran out of steam retouching the image, but you can tell from the bottom tier that orange benches could really do a lot for the Dome. Just one man's opinion.

What do you guys think?

I posted in the last week or so that I thought a major improvement would be turning the lower bleachers into seats. Orange would be a good option.

I posted in the last week or so that I thought a major improvement would be turning the lower bleachers into seats. Orange would be a good option.
You wouldn't even have to change the seating. You could just paint the existing benches orange and it would look a lot better.

The issue with turning them into seats is severely limiting basketball capacity. However, I think seats between the 30's on both sides would be a fantastic idea and maybe changing the 200 level bleachers to seats would work as well.

My opinion. Not needed. I don't see any benefit. When the seats are filled (the goal), no one even sees it. And, many of the upper echelon teams have bleachers. Just one man's opinion.

I've said for 25 years that the bleachers should be all orange. They should also look at replacing them as they have been the same bleachers since the dome opened and a new facelift would look great.

As bnoro said they would lose bsaketball seats if they went to individual seats as opposed to bleachers so that isnt going to happen.

I've said for 25 years that the bleachers should be all orange. They should also look at replacing them as they have been the same bleachers since the dome opened and a new facelift would look great.

As bnoro said they would lose bsaketball seats if they went to individual seats as opposed to bleachers so that isnt going to happen.
I just want people to show up (and wear Orange, which for some reason not all do). But if that doesn't work orange paint can't hurt.

My opinion. Not needed. I don't see any benefit. When the seats are filled (the goal), no one even sees it. And, many of the upper echelon teams have bleachers. Just one man's opinion.
True, no one sees the seats when they are filled. But for me, it would also help improve the look of what many call "college football's unfinished basement".

True, no one sees the seats when they are filled. But for me, it would also help improve the look of what many call "college football's unfinished basement".
I have never heard anyone call it that and I have been a season ticket holder since '92 and went to most games at the dome prior to that. I think it probably depends on priorities. If we win, the dome will fill. If so, what's the purpose of painting seats?

I have never heard anyone call it that and I have been a season ticket holder since '92 and went to most games at the dome prior to that. I think it probably depends on priorities. If we win, the dome will fill. If so, what's the purpose of painting seats?

I've had emails with Jake C on this back in the day, which I know is no barometer anymore on what we can and can't do (well hello field turf). He said they had studied painting the bleachers orange and kept running into issues with possible paint chipping off and getting on people's clothing. Which I know sounds kind of stupid, but replacing all the bleachers with factory painted orange doesn't seem like the best use of resources.

Either way, was having this conversation at a game last year. To me, if they wanted to "orange" the place up (short of the crowd as you mention) it would be a better idea to paint the concrete facing, both in the bleacher section and up top. How much could that really cost. The parts up top are still visible in a sold out Dome. Plus they don't have to worry about all of us ruining our Saturday best by getting orange paint flakes all over it.

I've had emails with Jake C on this back in the day, which I know is no barometer anymore on what we can and can't do (well hello field turf). He said they had studied painting the bleachers orange and kept running into issues with possible paint chipping off and getting on people's clothing. Which I know sounds kind of stupid, but replacing all the bleachers with factory painted orange doesn't seem like the best use of resources.

Either way, was having this conversation at a game last year. To me, if they wanted to "orange" the place up (short of the crowd as you mention) it would be a better idea to paint the concrete facing, both in the bleacher section and up top. How much could that really cost. The parts up top are still visible in a sold out Dome. Plus they don't have to worry about all of us ruining our Saturday best by getting orange paint flakes all over it.
If you've ever stood in the front row (as I did for 4 years as a student), the paint on the railings was always chipping, they had like 3 coats on there. I get the concern.

Actually, that's exactly the type of thing I think of when people say to paint stuff. First, it cost money to paint. Then, paint will chip or be stained, etc. and look bad. The concrete may be sealed already and if so, it will be more difficult to paint in a way that it wont' chip. Then it needs to be re-painted because it looks so bad. Yes, the concrete looks messy too... but it is maintenance free. My take is that there are a ton of things they could throw money at. That is low on what my priority list would be. I am not saying anyone is "wrong", I just wouldn't do it for basically the same reasons you said Jake decided against it.

So with the new IPF officially announced, I was thinking about some other changes that could be made before we begin play in the ACC. We aren't going to fix our attendance problem overnight. But it would be nice if we could make a aesthetic improvement to the Dome while also potentially making it look far less empty. It's been discussed before, but I had to see it with my own eyes.

What if this crowd?
Syracuse-1024x768.jpg

Could look like this?
orangebenches.jpg

Okay, so I ran out of steam retouching the image, but you can tell from the bottom tier that orange benches could really do a lot for the Dome. Just one man's opinion.

What do you guys think?

Hey, I'm in there four times.

Actually, that's exactly the type of thing I think of when people say to paint stuff. First, it cost money to paint. Then, paint will chip or be stained, etc. and look bad. The concrete may be sealed already and if so, it will be more difficult to paint in a way that it wont' chip. Then it needs to be re-painted because it looks so bad. Yes, the concrete looks messy too... but it is maintenance free. My take is that there are a ton of things they could throw money at. That is low on what my priority list would be. I am not saying anyone is "wrong", I just wouldn't do it for basically the same reasons you said Jake decided against it.

I actually don't have a problem with them leaving it as is either. I definitely get the bleacher concern, can you imagine the complaints they would get if it chipped off? That alone isn't worth it.

As for the concrete, good point on how it's sealed (the things I don't think about), and yes I can see that becoming even uglier than gray concrete if it's not maintained. It would be nice if we could maintain it, but we do have more important things to do with our money. Which I'm still unclear on what we'll do with that windfall, but not really my business.

A sold out crowd brightens the place better than anything. And would probably be the best recruiting tool we could get right now.

I actually don't have a problem with them leaving it as is either. I definitely get the bleacher concern, can you imagine the complaints they would get if it chipped off? That alone isn't worth it.

As for the concrete, good point on how it's sealed (the things I don't think about), and yes I can see that becoming even uglier than gray concrete if it's not maintained. It would be nice if we could maintain it, but we do have more important things to do with our money. Which I'm still unclear on what we'll do with that windfall, but not really my business.

A sold out crowd brightens the place better than anything. And would probably be the best recruiting tool we could get right now.
I think the first step in terms of using the extra ACC money was the correct one. It's never black and white but I will portray it like that in this case. IPF means better recruits. Better recruits means better team. Better team = more wins. More wins = more fans. More fans= dome looks better.

That's not to say the dome can't be improved. I can think of some big ticket projects that could follow-on ...at some point depending on when the other strategies are achieved.

I think bricking the exterior of the Dome is the best idea I've heard yet.

I would also somehow blow out and expand the front.

paint chipping of the bleachers would be an issue. Of course they could replace them with fiberglass - think trex decking. but that expense probably isn't worth it.

IPF means better recruits. Better recruits means better team. Better team = more wins. More wins = more fans. More fans= dome looks better.

More fans = longer beer lines. More fans = longer bathroom lines. More fans = higher beer prices. Aaaaaggghhhhhh!

I think the first step in terms of using the extra ACC money was the correct one. It's never black and white but I will portray it like that in this case. IPF means better recruits. Better recruits means better team. Better team = more wins. More wins = more fans. More fans= dome looks better.

That's not to say the dome can't be improved. I can think of some big ticket projects that could follow-on ...at some point depending on when the other strategies are achieved.

I know IPF as well is a major step in the right direction. I wasn't disputing that. I was more referring to the fact that the IPF is supposedly going to be covered by mostly private donations. And that the ACC money is basically the collateral for that project. At least as I understand it.

So my comment was more to the point that I don't really know specifically what the 4 to 5X conference revenue we'll get from the ACC will be used for. Don't really care if we're improving our teams. But the math/accounting/finance loser inside me views it as a curiosity.

Orange roof, orange bleacher (paint chips on clothes,really. they fall off. they don't stain.) Ring of honor ala the Cowboys. or as a further one or in addition to, lts put some portraits, name or something, with a star, on the roof, of SU greats who have passed on. Ben S. could be looking down, watching the team play.

Memorial spots on the field of great plays (Michael Owens conversion, Mc Nabb to Brominski)

I think bricking the exterior of the Dome is the best idea I've heard yet.

I would also somehow blow out and expand the front.

paint chipping of the bleachers would be an issue. Of course they could replace them with fiberglass - think trex decking. but that expense probably isn't worth it.

I really like all of those ideas. I can't imagine the cost of bricking the dome, but it would. Look great. Then make each of those curved vertical spaces into spots for a wall of fame with busts of former greats.

Orange roof, orange bleacher (paint chips on clothes,really. they fall off. they don't stain.) Ring of honor ala the Cowboys. or as a further one or in addition to, lts put some portraits, name or something, with a star, on the roof, of SU greats who have passed on. Ben S. could be looking down, watching the team play.

Memorial spots on the field of great plays (Michael Owens conversion, Mc Nabb to Brominski)

Just a big "S" on the roof that would throw a shadow S on the turf when the suns shines. Or orange lights tipped up toward the roof to give the place an orange glow from the outside.

More fans = longer beer lines. More fans = longer bathroom lines. More fans = higher beer prices. Aaaaaggghhhhhh!
More fans = more time to get out of traffic after games = more fans deciding to rake leaves