Simple change to Dome appearance | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Simple change to Dome appearance

More fans = more time to get out of traffic after games = more fans deciding to rake leaves

It's a vicious cycle...it's a long road ahead.

I have never heard anyone call it that and I have been a season ticket holder since '92 and went to most games at the dome prior to that. I think it probably depends on priorities. If we win, the dome will fill. If so, what's the purpose of painting seats?

Mark Ennis@Mengus22
Clemson gets to visit college football's unfinished basement in Syracuse on October 5th.

In addition to having a radio show, Mark Ennis runs the Big East Coast Bias blog. He's also a Louisville fan.

Just add a Truckasaurus and call it a day.

5.jpg

just phase in some composite seating thats orange. you only need to worry about 50% of the viewable seats. do it over ten years if cost is that much a problem.. places paint park benches all the time and they are in the weather.. really we have benches in the dome that have been used maybe 1-2 times in the last 10 years so why would they chip all that much. if you painted it right it wouldnt chip without some really beatings.

Mark Ennis@Mengus22
Clemson gets to visit college football's unfinished basement in Syracuse on October 5th.

In addition to having a radio show, Mark Ennis runs the Big East Coast Bias blog. He's also a Louisville fan.
Now I have "heard" one guy say it ! Thanks. An opponent's fan blogger no less!

More fans = more time to get out of traffic after games = more fans deciding to rake leaves
So, more fans = less fans? Interesting way to think about it.

"No one goes there anymore, it's too crowded"

I said fiberglass but yes composite is the word I was looking for.

One thing is certain in my opinion a new stadium will never be built. They’ll find ways to renovate and spruce up the Dome. If bricking the Dome adds to the aesthetics of campus and matches university buildings I wonder if that’s money that could come from the general fund.

The highest ticket item with the most benefit would be blowing out the front of the Dome. From below grade for offices, training rooms and locker rooms all the way up to the concourse with grand entrance way, restaurant/bar, recruit lounge etc.

One thing is certain in my opinion a new stadium will never be built. They’ll find ways to renovate and spruce up the Dome. If bricking the Dome adds to the aesthetics of campus and matches university buildings I wonder if that’s money that could come from the general fund.

The highest ticket item with the most benefit would be blowing out the front of the Dome. From below grade for offices, training rooms and locker rooms all the way up to the concourse with grand entrance way, restaurant/bar, recruit lounge etc.

I agree. Given the capital limitations we have and glaring needs elsewhere with athletic facilities, building a football-only or basketball-only facility is something that should be WAY down the priority list.

Step back. What high-priority problem are you trying to solve with bricking the building? I don't think that "I don't like the look" opinion (and it is an opinion) makes it a high-priority issue. Let's say it costs $5M to do that. If they have $5M, is that the best way to spend it? Does that give us the most bang for the buck?

PS: I think expanding with a concourse is a good strategic goal for someday.

Step back. What high-priority problem are you trying to solve with bricking the building? I don't think that "I don't like the look" opinion (and it is an opinion) makes it a high-priority issue. Let's say it costs $5M to do that. If they have $5M, is that the best way to spend it? Does that give us the most bang for the buck?.

It’s obviously 100% cosmetic and is something that will never be done by the Athletic department either – and nor should it. BUT it could and should be done if the University paid for it. The curb appeal of the whole area would increase by 1000.

just phase in some composite seating thats orange. you only need to worry about 50% of the viewable seats. do it over ten years if cost is that much a problem.. places paint park benches all the time and they are in the weather.. really we have benches in the dome that have been used maybe 1-2 times in the last 10 years so why would they chip all that much. if you painted it right it wouldnt chip without some really beatings.

I've never seen a park bench that's made of aluminum. The Crouthamel reason stands as a perfectly reasonable one.

It’s obviously 100% cosmetic and is something that will never be done by the Athletic department either – and nor should it. BUT it could and should be done if the University paid for it. The curb appeal of the whole area would increase by 1000.
So you view the exterior cosmetics of the dome to be a high-priority problem?

I've never seen a park bench that's made of aluminum. The Crouthamel reason stands as a perfectly reasonable one.

Powdercoating would be virtually indestructable. Do it a section at a time during the offseason.

two examples of powder coating some complex benches. Now this is for the bench and not just the coating. It would probably be in the hundreds per section.. but if you had roughly 15 per section and spread the cost over 5 years and added $2 per year to the ticket cost you would probably break even pretty quickly. we already have tops sections. offer some naming rights in other areas..

http://www.terraboundsolutions.com/Powder-Coated-Park-Benches.html

http://www.belson.com/pcrsc.htm

While not a cosmetic change we need to pump up the heat in that building to 110 degrees every game.

Powdercoating would be virtually indestructable. Do it a section at a time during the offseason.
two examples of powder coating some complex benches. Now this is for the bench and not just the coating. It would probably be in the hundreds per section.. but if you had roughly 15 per section and spread the cost over 5 years and added $2 per year to the ticket cost you would probably break even pretty quickly. we already have tops sections. offer some naming rights in other areas..

http://www.terraboundsolutions.com/Powder-Coated-Park-Benches.html

http://www.belson.com/pcrsc.htm[/quote]

Thanks, guys.

I'd be interested to know how they wear; how well it can be applied to 30-year-old aluminum as treated; and what maintenance would look like.

I still think that painting the risers would be more visually effective, but - again - we don't know how it'd adhere to the concrete as treated or how inexpensive maintenance would be.

high priority = no
eyesore = yes

Ivy would be so much less expensive and it'd fit in with its surroundings equally well.

I do like that they've replaced the grey paint with beige on the west exterior in recent years. I don't like that they've cut down virtually every tree on that side of the building. No idea why they'd do that.

Now I have "heard" one guy say it ! Thanks. An opponent's fan blogger no less!
Yea, I know. I know. He's got an axe to grind. I just wanted to be clear that I didn't make it up.

Re: benches - how about a spray on type material like a LINE-X spray on bedliner. Pretty sure they have residential applications .

Ivy would be so much less expensive and it'd fit in with its surroundings equally well.

I do like that they've replaced the grey paint with beige on the west exterior in recent years. I don't like that they've cut down virtually every tree on that side of the building. No idea why they'd do that.

yes brick a portion of the way up and ivy. would be outstanding.

Amazing what a little brickwork can do...

Original Doak Campbell Stadium...
$%28KGrHqVHJBkE+Nlj6g4,BQMSJIWeFg~~60_35.JPG

rc13380.jpg

After renovations...
langfordgreen021009.jpg

Doak is different, since it was basically a scaffolding stadium. The dome is more a victim of being built in the 80s. Ain't pretty, but at least it's not ugly.

Tough call, for sure. But I wouldn't touch painting anything unless it was guaranteed to not peel. I'd think painting the concrete would be safer re: peeling, but I'm no expert.