Singapore | Syracusefan.com

Singapore

NKR1978

Living Legend
After two failed attempts (January 2021 and January 2022) I finally will be going to Singapore from September 26 to October 6. I'm all set with the hotels. First part of the trip is at the W and then moving to the Sands to get that infinity pool experience so I look rich on Tinder. I got all the sites down and not worried about that, but just a few questions if anyone has experience -

1. Is a day trip to Kuala Lumpur worth it? I did a full day tour to Luxor when I was in Egypt a few years ago and it was a long day, but worth it.

2. Any recommendations on Singaporean fine dining? I have reservations at Les Amis, it's 3* restaurant, but French. It looks spectacular and I'm psyched for it, but I would like one more high end dinner.

3. Any recommended food tour? Should I do a formal tour to appreciate the hawker stalls, or is that something you can do on your own?

I got nothin, but Tony Bourdain's Singapore show only enhanced my existing desire to visit.

I got nothin, but Tony Bourdain's Singapore show only enhanced my existing desire to visit.

He's one of the few celebrities that I can say made a difference in my life. His books and shows were literally life changing for me. No idea how important he was to me until he died.

Fat tire 13 knows a few things about Singapore
Yes - I lived there back in 2011-2012

Here are some quick answers, you can always PM me too

1 - Unless you really want to see the Petronas Towers, I would pass. Lots of driving through palm oil fields, and the border may be a pain because of COVID. For other day trips, check out something like Palau Ubin. It's a little island and you can ride your bike all around. Also there are some of the Indonesian islands that are a day trip by boat.

2 - I'll be a little less helpful here since lots can change in 10 years. Dempsey Hill was an area that usually had some cool and fancy restaurants. Taking a quick look, it seems like my favorite Greek restaurant (Blu Kouzina) relocated there. It isn't local food, but if you need a break it is good stuff

3 - would say you can likely do it yourself. There are many big hawker centers. I always enjoyed the ones in Tiong Bahru and Airport Road

Couple more tips - if you do chili crab, go to the Jumbo on the East coast (better and less crowded). And there is a passionfruit cocktail at the bar on the Sands rooftop that is amazing.

Yes - I lived there back in 2011-2012

Here are some quick answers, you can always PM me too

1 - Unless you really want to see the Petronas Towers, I would pass. Lots of driving through palm oil fields, and the border may be a pain because of COVID. For other day trips, check out something like Palau Ubin. It's a little island and you can ride your bike all around. Also there are some of the Indonesian islands that are a day trip by boat.

2 - I'll be a little less helpful here since lots can change in 10 years. Dempsey Hill was an area that usually had some cool and fancy restaurants. Taking a quick look, it seems like my favorite Greek restaurant (Blu Kouzina) relocated there. It isn't local food, but if you need a break it is good stuff

3 - would say you can likely do it yourself. There are many big hawker centers. I always enjoyed the ones in Tiong Bahru and Airport Road

Couple more tips - if you do chili crab, go to the Jumbo on the East coast (better and less crowded). And there is a passionfruit cocktail at the bar on the Sands rooftop that is amazing.

thank you. I was thinking of flying to KL. Like I said, I had done a quick day trip to Luxor from Cairo. But with COVID and dealing with two countries it might not be enough. Seeing more of Indonesia might be worthwhile though. Thank you!

I'm genuinely excited to see the Sands and that whole area. I'm honestly excited to spend 5 or 6 hours at the airport on the way home.

thank you. I was thinking of flying to KL. Like I said, I had done a quick day trip to Luxor from Cairo. But with COVID and dealing with two countries it might not be enough. Seeing more of Indonesia might be worthwhile though. Thank you!

I'm genuinely excited to see the Sands and that whole area. I'm honestly excited to spend 5 or 6 hours at the airport on the way home.
you're welcome

If you're willing to fly 1-2 hours, there are so many good destinations. Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, Cambodia, etc. It all depends on how much time you want in Singapore vs. other places. KL is probably the easiest since there are many people who do day trips for business.

You should check COVID restrictions, although lots of that has loosened up in recent months

Enjoy it is a great part of the world!

you're welcome

If you're willing to fly 1-2 hours, there are so many good destinations. Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, Cambodia, etc. It all depends on how much time you want in Singapore vs. other places. KL is probably the easiest since there are many people who do day trips for business.

You should check COVID restrictions, although lots of that has loosened up in recent months

Enjoy it is a great part of the world!

One more stupid question that I can't seem to find an answer anywhere - what is considered appropriate dress for a high end restaurant? The website for Les Amis says basically no shorts. But it's a Michelin 3* and those typically want a jacket. Normally I'll bring a suit when I have plans like that, but Singapore isn't Paris in January or Seattle any time of year weather-wise. Tropical locations tend to be a little more lax in that regard and I feel like a button down with pants or nice jeans is ok. But I don't want to look an idiot.

One more stupid question that I can't seem to find an answer anywhere - what is considered appropriate dress for a high end restaurant? The website for Les Amis says basically no shorts. But it's a Michelin 3* and those typically want a jacket. Normally I'll bring a suit when I have plans like that, but Singapore isn't Paris in January or Seattle any time of year weather-wise. Tropical locations tend to be a little more lax in that regard and I feel like a button down with pants or nice jeans is ok. But I don't want to look an idiot.
Very few places require jackets because it is so hot. I don't recall ever having to wear a jacket when I lived there. If you have room to pack a jacket, maybe bring it and then take it off once you are seated. Virtually no one wears a tie there. I'll ask some local friends too