Sixth Man - A recruiting edge | Syracusefan.com

Sixth Man - A recruiting edge

personalbias

Walk On
It appears that SU has developed a successful model for the sixth man award at the college level, which in essence may provide an edge in the recruiting process. Since basketball plays five at a time, having success at the development of the sixth man role such as Waiters and Southerland may allow JB some lattitude to sway recruits who may think that starting is the most important rule of thumb. The successful sixth man role provides instant juice and provides a player with a spotlight and opportunity for the ESPN highlight. Maybe Patterson, who may not have the recruiting stars, will fit this sixth man mold for next year.

It appears that SU has developed a successful model for the sixth man award at the college level, which in essence may provide an edge in the recruiting process. Since basketball plays five at a time, having success at the development of the sixth man role such as Waiters and Southerland may allow JB some lattitude to sway recruits who may think that starting is the most important rule of thumb. The successful sixth man role provides instant juice and provides a player with a spotlight and opportunity for the ESPN highlight. Maybe Patterson, who may not have the recruiting stars, will fit this sixth man mold for next year.
Patterson? How about maybe Grant or Roberson.

Patterson? How about maybe Grant or Roberson.
Don't forget MG.

I think Grant, MG, and Roberson would all be more favored for that role at this time than Patterson.

the 6th man has been a pretty important part of most teams playing for an NBA championship in the last 10 years.

Don't forget MG.

I think Grant, MG, and Roberson would all be more favored for that role at this time than Patterson.
I think Mg will start. At the duece.

I think Mg will start. At the duece.
In that case, I think you should include Whitehot. And he would be favored for the 6th man award over a frosh Patterson - especially in the sense of being a microwave off the bench.

I think you're spot on. Pretty brilliant actually.

I don't think the 6th man is so much the recruiting edge, but instead think it has been the change in substitution patterns and playing time out of JB that has really helped. Of course the success story of Dion can't hurt, but that is the exception, not the rule.

The recent top recruits such as Fab, Rak, and DC2 all got token starts. JB isn't selling Wiggins or Dakari a 6th man award.

I don't think the 6th man is so much the recruiting edge, but instead think it has been the change in substitution patterns and playing time out of JB that has really helped. Of course the success story of Dion can't hurt, but that is the exception, not the rule.

The recent top recruits such as Fab, Rak, and DC2 all got token starts. JB isn't selling Wiggins or Dakari a 6th man award.

JB's 8-13 minute sub could more important then his 16 minute one :p .
Wiggins will be a starter and one of the best players in basketball of course hes starting. Our best shot at getting Dakari is once rak jumps(I think he will). Maybe that is why dc2 is playing some 4 this year so him and dakari can start.

I don't believe JB started melo, rak and dc2 because they were all americans. I think alot of it had to do with their massive physical build as big men which Dakari also has. Dion and MCW would have started over triche and scoop last year based on ratings. JB looks to bring some offensive sparks off the bench to accompany.

Patterson will be lucky to be the 9th man next year

If we have as good a 6th man as we've had the past 3 years (kJo, Dion and JSouth) I don't care who it is. The most likely options will be Cooney, Gibinje and Ennis imo). May be unlikley but not out of realm of possibility that MCW and Ennis are the starting backcourt next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom