Sky is falling!! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Sky is falling!!

With our luck...no...and we’ve seen it before with guys leaving early.
To my mind, nearly all of our guys who have left early have done so at the appropriate time, and nearly all have contributed to our success on the court.

You're wrong on this one. Freshmen today come in ready to play. Sure, most have parts of their game to work on, but this isn't 1960 anymore.

All freshman come ready? Surely you don’t mean all the ones that we recruit.

All freshman come ready? Surely you don’t mean all the ones that we recruit.
I'm pretty sure the two you referenced earlier will be arriving ready.

To my mind, nearly all of our guys who have left early have done so at the appropriate time, and nearly all have contributed to our success on the court.

I guess the question is ...what is the level of success we are aiming for with next years team. Final Four? NC? This is what I hear people talking about.
All? No. Never said that. But having a team led by Freshmen isn't a death sentence anymore.

You said freshmen...you didn’t distinguish.

I just think some people are building up big expectations for next year with what will be a very young team.

I guess the question is ...what is the level of success we are aiming for with next years team. Final Four? NC? This is what I hear people talking about.

You said freshmen...you didn’t distinguish.

I just think some people are building up big expectations for next year with what will be a very young team.

I’m not sold on the expected greatness of next year’s team. We gain Bazley, but likely lose Battle. Carey should be a big addition. But we still have a black hole at center. And it’s still a team of “thin” guys who struggle to rebound.

What do you think Battle is then? He's the textbook definition of a scorer -- he somehow gets his points every night and has been doing so since the second half of last season.
You take 20 shots a game you will get points and he has been consistent the last bunch of games a consistent 30% shooter

You take 20 shots a game you will get points and he has been consistent the last bunch of games a consistent 30% shooter
This season he's played just over 37 minutes per game and averages under 16 shot attempts, scoring pretty efficiently. He's not exactly hoisting it up like Pete Maravich.

The sky isn't falling, but the lack of a good hoops team is ridiculous. We're supposed to be a top 15 program, but we can't crack the top 25 or make the friggin tourney lately. This falls on JB. We wouldn't accept this from a different coach, how many more years of this garbage will continue? Remember the fast breaks with athletes? Remember half court alley oops to athletes? This low scoring, stand around, milk the clock offense is like watching a middle school game.

The sky isn't falling, but the lack of a good hoops team is ridiculous. We're supposed to be a top 15 program, but we can't crack the top 25 or make the friggin tourney lately. This falls on JB. We wouldn't accept this from a different coach, how many more years of this garbage will continue? Remember the fast breaks with athletes? Remember half court alley oops to athletes? This low scoring, stand around, milk the clock offense is like watching a middle school game.
Christ, they were one win short of making the NCAAT last season after a horrible start and were in the Final Four the year before.

Christ, they were one win short of making the NCAAT last season after a horrible start and were in the Final Four the year before.

True. But we were fortunate to make the tourney the year we went to the Final 4. The program hasn’t played SU caliber basketball in the regular season in several years.

True. But we were fortunate to make the tourney the year we went to the Final 4. The program hasn’t played SU caliber basketball in the regular season in several years.
I'll take a Final Four anyway we can get it and don't nitpick.

This is a fact. People forget what good offensive basketball is because we've been so bad at it for awhile now.

If or when we get back, people are going to wonder what they are watching (hint- actual
Basketball).

I'll take a Final Four anyway we can get it and don't nitpick.

Not downplaying the Final 4. But we were one loss away from not making the tourney that year.

Not downplaying the Final 4. But we were one loss away from not making the tourney that year.
I'll make sure to put an asterisk by that season in my mind.

Exactly. That was a great run for sure, but we don't look like Syracuse basketball anymore. We had a 4 on 2 at wake and we settled for a spot up 3 (miss). 5 years ago that's an easy dunk, now our transition is non existent. Crappy offense, bubble talk every damn year...whatever.

I agree that this has been an awful week for the team. I do think that we are in a better position than we were last year. There is still a lot of basketball to be played. A win against Virginia (as slim of a chance as that looks right now) and everyone will be back on the train. Don't lose faith yet!! LGO!!!

I thought it was snow. :rolleyes:

I'll make sure to put an asterisk by that season in my mind.

You’re missing the point. By SU standards, we’ve underachieved in the regular season since the remarkable 25-0 start season. In many cases, it can be easier to reach the Final 4 than it is to win the ACC tourney. Four wins over a few weeks (sometimes against weaker teams than one might face in the conference tourney) versus three to four wins in as many days against much of the upper echelon of the ACC.

My point is we’ve been irrelevant in the regular season for a number of years — and we’re headed for another one. But this one won’t end in the Final 4.

You’re missing the point. By SU standards, we’ve underachieved in the regular season since the remarkable 25-0 start season. In many cases, it can be easier to reach the Final 4 than it is to win the ACC tourney. Four wins over a few weeks (sometimes against weaker teams than one might face in the conference tourney) versus three to four wins in as many days against much of the upper echelon of the ACC.

My point is we’ve been irrelevant in the regular season for a number of years — and we’re headed for another one. But this one won’t end in the Final 4.
And you're missing my point, which is that consistently winning at the highest levels isn't a given in today's game, reaching the Final Four is a nice accomplishment for even the most elite programs, and that I prefer to enjoy the ride this team takes me on each season, no matter where it ends up.

I agree that this has been an awful week for the team. I do think that we are in a better position than we were last year. There is still a lot of basketball to be played. A win against Virginia (as slim of a chance as that looks right now) and everyone will be back on the train. Don't lose faith yet!! LGO!!!
I’m just upset that JB isn’t taking any responsibility for this loss. He was completely out coached by Brey and made no offensive adjustments. How about pressing to try and get our offense going? He’s so unwilling to take any risks that might give up any easy points? Even though the offense was completely stagnant.

I’m just upset that JB isn’t taking any responsibility for this loss. He was completely out coached by Brey and made no offensive adjustments. How about pressing to try and get our offense going? He’s so unwilling to take any risks that might give up any easy points? Even though the offense was completely stagnant.
When did you want him to press? They built an early lead that should have been bigger than it was, quickly squandered most of it early in the second half, then clung to a small lead until finally falling behind late, before rallying to tie with under a minute to go, and then turned it over in the final seconds and lost on a put back.

When is the sky officially falling?

Loss to Bonnies
Loss to a bad WF when they didn't have their best player for over a half.
Loss to an unranked ND team who doesn't have 2 of their best players.

None of the above acceptable.

Coach won’t press when we are ahead. And with this group that’s probably smart.

I’d generally be pretty optimistic at this stage with 15 games left. But I just don’t see any answers with this team. There’s no offense beyond our top 3 — and that’s not changing anytime soon.

Now we’re not rebounding well.

Lost to a wounded team without its two best players.

Most of us were encouraged by the 12-2 start, but it’s pretty clear that was somewhat of a mirage.

Today was a must win.

Provided Brissett returns next year, it’ll be a better team. But I remain concerned with the center position. Chukwu was lost today and Sidibe is a question mark with his knee issue. It’ll be interesting to see if they address that.
Yes, our expectations for this team got too high based on OOC. This is not a vintage Syracuse team. It is a young team under development and suffering the effects of a probation and good players leaving early. This year is about learning for the players coming back next year, which I hope includes Battle. The early talk about Brissette leaving early is ludicrious. The skinny guys need to hit the weight room. Get some valuable experience this year, make the NIT and set yourself up for a big year in 18-19.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom