sloan | Syracusefan.com

sloan

I wonder how SU/NCAA will handle this. Sloan couldn't have been oblivious to it.

I wonder how SU/NCAA will handle this. Sloan couldn't have been oblivious to it.

Gotta think he's immediately ineligible. Wonder how he did at Syracuse 1st semester.

Gotta think he's immediately ineligible. Wonder how he did at Syracuse 1st semester.

That will be key in this, IMO. If he's enrolled at the university and passes classes his first year, I would think they would treat him as a non-qualifier and he'd be eligible next season. Then would regain his fifth (redshirt) year if he completes his degree in four years.

I know Syracuse does not admit non-qualifiers, but this is how it works for other schools that do for basketball (through HEOP and other such aid programs).

If he is in good academic standing after his freshman year and has the required number of credits, he should be eligible next season.

This story continues to get uglier. I, too, would be interested on how RS did in school last Fall. With all the academic resources afforded athletes, especially in his RS-FR year, he may have turned things around. This will be an interesting story to follow, but it doesn't look too good right now. It's hard to believe he didn't have any awareness in all of what transpired.

I think you are right about his eligibility. Unfortunately, how he did might be irrelevant at that point.

SU Athletics couldn't get a better picture of him than the one in this article?

he is blind in one eye actually

it seems like a dig from the nypost "ryan sloan in his official syracuse orange portrait"

almost like the picture is a joke and trying to stain sloans character.

it seems like a dig from the nypost "ryan sloan in his official syracuse orange portrait"

almost like the picture is a joke and trying to stain sloans character.
huh? not following what you mean here at all. It's a portrait of Ryan in a suit - how is it a bad picture or dig or staining his character?

huh? not following what you mean here at all. It's a portrait of Ryan in a suit - how is it a bad picture or dig or staining his character?

i dont know, i have never seen a picture describing it as his official team portrait.

it just seems like they are unknowingly mocking him for being blind in 1 eye.

i dont know, i have never seen a picture describing it as his official team portrait.

ok, got it - funny, but I didn't take it that way and actually thought you might be unknowingly mocking him for being blind in one eye :)

did i read that right that they boosted his grade in phys ed? a D1 lineman needed a grade boost in gym?!! i remember girls in high school who would fake cramps and still get a's but this kid needed a boost?!!?!

SU Athletics couldn't get a better picture of him than the one in this article?

Kind of hard to do. You want to have the blind eye turned away from the camera, but don't want to obscure his face.

Kind of hard to do. You want to have the blind eye turned away from the camera, but don't want to obscure his face.
Thanks for the insight. That explains it.

Feel bad for him. Tough life and now he has to deal with all of this.

Add an eye-patch, make him look mean like a pirate.

So here's my question: will this impact Sloan's eligibility at all?

Certainly doesn't seem to me that this will have a negative impact for SU [other than Sloan potentially not being eligible]. The kids grades were what they were, and presumably he got a sufficiently high qualifying score not to raise any questions. Also, his transcript had to go through the NCAA clearinghouse, so I don't see SU being at fault in any way.

At some point, the kid's grades at the collegiate level have to take precedence over high school grades. Could a punishment be retroactively applied? I.e., if he's eligible now as a function of grades, could the NCAA declare that he wasn't eligible to begin with [despite their clearinghouse review]?

Odd situation. I would hope that if he didnt know and was in fact a victim of his coach trying to help him without his knowledge and if his grades in college are solid he has a chance to be cleared.

So here's my question: will this impact Sloan's eligibility at all?

Certainly doesn't seem to me that this will have a negative impact for SU [other than Sloan potentially not being eligible]. The kids grades were what they were, and presumably he got a sufficiently high qualifying score not to raise any questions. Also, his transcript had to go through the NCAA clearinghouse, so I don't see SU being at fault in any way.

At some point, the kid's grades at the collegiate level have to take precedence over high school grades. Could a punishment be retroactively applied? I.e., if he's eligible now as a function of grades, could the NCAA declare that he wasn't eligible to begin with [despite their clearinghouse review]?

I don't know what if any impact it has on SU, but I might try to do some digging later because I have seen this situation before and others similar to it. Even in basketball, Michael Lloyd went through a similar (not the same) thing and he had to leave but nothing happened to SU then.

I just take it as the caption is reinforcing the story that he got into college because of shenanigans and here is a picture of him IN COLLEGE. Blame the SU photographer if you don't like the pose, but I doubt that they even considered how he looked.

I don't know what if any impact it has on SU, but I might try to do some digging later because I have seen this situation before and others similar to it. Even in basketball, Michael Lloyd went through a similar (not the same) thing and he had to leave but nothing happened to SU then.

I think the Lloyd situation related to JC courses that he took but were later ruled not accepted for credit, and affected other players at the same JC as well. This seems a little different. And it sounds like this coach had done this over a number of years (with other players as well), so theoretically other schools had potentially ineligible players on their rosters. Hopefully he is currently in good standing academically and that will take precedence.

I think the Lloyd situation related to JC courses that he took but were later ruled not accepted for credit, and affected other players at the same JC as well. This seems a little different. And it sounds like this coach had done this over a number of years (with other players as well), so theoretically other schools had potentially ineligible players on their rosters. Hopefully he is currently in good standing academically and that will take precedence.

You are correct about Lloyd and I said it was similar but not the same. The similarity is that he was granted admittance and a scholie and cleared by the NCAA and then after the fact was found not to be eligible due to something which I will call fraudulent. He had to leave SU but nothing was done to the school. Can't remember what happened to him after he left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom