Slow your minds and chill! | Syracusefan.com

Slow your minds and chill!

benjams77

Walk On
Every year including last I read this Doom and Gloom stuff on here.. I don’t post a lot, but some need to Chill a bit .. First, This is the first year of the open portal which I hate, it has an impact in college hoops most of all … basketball gonna take teams a bit to gel all over the country more than football … Lots of upsets so far… 2nd this may be our hardest early season schedule ever which will help come Jan, Feb and March… The Colgate game and Auburn games didn’t even piss me off .. We played hard… Auburn was a bad matchup… Colgate is a mid major type that we will always struggle with.. disciplined and skilled and They can shoot… VCU was a bad loss for us .. We should have been a bad matchup for them and we were awful against their pressure D… Yeah it sucks to lose but be patient.. we lose 6 of 8 every year at scone point.. Then we reel off 6 of 8 …Defense will improve some.. My only concern long term for year is handling pressure but not every team can do that to us without being exposed by our offense like ASU … Yes big 3 games here for us .. I believe we win 2 of 3… Indiana and split the other 2… I know people disagree but the tourney is what matters… need to grow and build a resume… check back with me about 5 games into acc play and let’s see where we are at

A ‘slow mind’—yeah, that’s not so much what I’m after….

:)

So as we gel, will we run faster and jump higher?

I'd be a lot more comfortable "chilling" if anyone could offer some tangible suggestions for how the team's glaring flaws might get remediated beyond "JB always turns things around..."

Not a poke at the OP -- I'm just not seeing how a big turnaround in performance is something to reasonably expect.

Sure, the new faces might get more comfortable playing the zone, but we'll still be unathletic and have trouble covering the perimeter. We're still going to have difficulty rebounding the ball. Our PG isn't going to magically get good at handling full court pressure. Our bench is not going to start producing points, when they haven't provided much thus far. So... what changes do people expect to occur?

Last edited:
I'd be a lot more comfortable "chilling" if anyone could offer some tangible suggestions for how the team's glaring flaws might get remediated beyond "JB always turns things around..."

Not a poke at the OP -- I'm just not seeing how a big turnaround in performance is something to reasonably expect.
don’t think there is another tangible explanation of how things will improve. We’re a non physical team who will be brutalized on the boards in ACC play. We’ll be competitive when we hit threes at a high clip which is not sustainable.

Honestly I think we just need luck, which isn’t acceptable but oh well

don’t think there is another tangible explanation of how things will improve. We’re a non physical team who will be brutalized on the boards in ACC play. We’ll be competitive when we hit threes at a high clip which is not sustainable.

Honestly I think we just need luck, which isn’t acceptable but oh well
yep...I think last year you could point to games where we played poor D and go “well we have Bras and some others on the bench that can bring some length to the zone, maybe that will work”

or we couldn’t rebound and you could point to Jesse and say “hey he had some good games...maybe he could stabilize the rebounding.”

the options for this team getting better for:
1 - Bennie plays and gets better. That will require Jimmy Jr or Cole to sit. I just don’t believe it’s going to happen. Bennie isn’t ready and it’s been written...until he’s ready.
2 - someone emerges to play consistent point guard for this team. I simply don’t see it with the two players on this team.

the option I keep seeing suggests we will “play better”. Ok...i can agree that if Cole plays well we can win games. Nothing in his playing history suggests that’s doable on a consistent basis

So we go .500 over a 16 game period is what you're saying? What a about the other 10+ games :cool:

Colgate is a mid major type that we will always struggle with.. disciplined and skilled and They can shoot…
appreciate the post...just wanted to highlight this.

you are 100 percent correct. We will always struggle with a mid major that can shoot...this is a problem and has been a problem that has not been addressed for years and years. You would think knowing this maybe we switch the game plan based on the team we would be playing. I know that’s a wild concept...

So how do we get better? I'll take a stab.

1. Coaches are stupid. For the most part we aren't going to play pressure defensive teams like we did in Atlantis. In the ACC the immediate pressure teams that come to mind are NC State and Duke. The rest of the teams are going to play their base defense much like we do. That will play into our hands.

2. Benny needs to produce more. I'm not talking about him starting, but when he's on the court we need him to know the zone and rebound on both ends. We need his athleticism on the court so it's imperative that he knows where he needs to be when he plays. He also can help us on the offensive end by rounding

3. I don't think Buddy played as well as he could have in Atlantis. He lost his legs at the end. I think he can be more efficient shooting outside.

4. Symir can be serviceable. There were signs the second half against Auburn, but he can't turn the ball over. He just needs to protect the ball, play good defense, and setup our shooters. When the advantage is there for them take it.

5. Cole and Jimmy just need to learn the positioning of the zone. They aren't fleet of foot, but they at least need to know where they can be defensively. Clean up the correctable mistakes.

6. Never play Symir/Anselem/Benny at the same time. Part of coaching is learning what lineups work and that lineup with whoever the other 2 are out there will never work offensively.

7. The base of the team needs to be Edwards and Buddy. I think our lineups should be matchup driven. We should not just roll out the same lineup no matter who we play. The key to turning this around really is Benny, Symir and to fix the correctable defensive mistakes.

I think we could have a decent team this year, but not running the offense that we do. Our offense is basically a playground offense that any 5 guys can run to varying degrees of success or failure.

Sure, the new faces might get more comfortable playing the zone, but we'll still be unathletic and have trouble covering the perimeter. We're still going to have difficulty rebounding the ball. Our PG isn't going to magically get good at handling full court pressure. Our bench is not going to start producing points, when they haven't provided much thus far. So... what changes do people expect to occur?
We are 6 games in.. We have 3 transfers, a post player who has played a half of a season, a post whose never played and a freshman who needs work...Takes time to gel ...No changes , but we'll see adjustments and probably many you just might not notice except for the results...Yes we are not super athletic and its different than "The glory days" We also aren't playing as many garbage teams... Kentucky puts as many athletes as you will see on the court.. Lots of NBA talent and they went 9-16 last year...No tourney.. Indiana who we play tommorrow has been in a rut off and on for 20 some years...

Its simple ...We play better teams... Players are more diluted thru college hoops...the transfer portal is taking away fluidity in teams... We are not going to have 26+ wins anymore except for a special season... No one can give you changes.. we are not on the coaching staff...but history dictates that JB will adjust and we will be in the hunt for NCAA tourney birth in March

And for rebounding...Cuse is never a great TREB team ...We have had some teams that OREB well, but we always give up OREB too. Per my original post, Our ball handling against pressure worries me a lot...I am curios to see the adjustments for that...but again not all teams can pressure us without getting hurt by us

One of the other big problems that has not really been discussed to deeply is that the ACC is down this year in comparison to previous years. Presently the ACC is 5th in NET rankings and 8th in RPI rankings. With a solid portion of the out of conference play having occurred opportunities are running thin to build the out of conference resume we might need to have a pretty darn good conference record in order to have a chance at getting in this year. It is very unlikely that a 9-7 record in conference play will cut it.

Every year including last I read this Doom and Gloom stuff on here.. I don’t post a lot, but some need to Chill a bit .. First, This is the first year of the open portal which I hate, it has an impact in college hoops most of all … basketball gonna take teams a bit to gel all over the country more than football … Lots of upsets so far… 2nd this may be our hardest early season schedule ever which will help come Jan, Feb and March… The Colgate game and Auburn games didn’t even piss me off .. We played hard… Auburn was a bad matchup… Colgate is a mid major type that we will always struggle with.. disciplined and skilled and They can shoot… VCU was a bad loss for us .. We should have been a bad matchup for them and we were awful against their pressure D… Yeah it sucks to lose but be patient.. we lose 6 of 8 every year at scone point.. Then we reel off 6 of 8 …Defense will improve some.. My only concern long term for year is handling pressure but not every team can do that to us without being exposed by our offense like ASU … Yes big 3 games here for us .. I believe we win 2 of 3… Indiana and split the other 2… I know people disagree but the tourney is what matters… need to grow and build a resume… check back with me about 5 games into acc play and let’s see where we are at
Those are some orange colored glass you got on lol

We are 6 games in.. We have 3 transfers, a post player who has played a half of a season, a post whose never played and a freshman who needs work...Takes time to gel ...No changes , but we'll see adjustments and probably many you just might not notice except for the results...Yes we are not super athletic and its different than "The glory days" We also aren't playing as many garbage teams... Kentucky puts as many athletes as you will see on the court.. Lots of NBA talent and they went 9-16 last year...No tourney.. Indiana who we play tommorrow has been in a rut off and on for 20 some years...

Its simple ...We play better teams... Players are more diluted thru college hoops...the transfer portal is taking away fluidity in teams... We are not going to have 26+ wins anymore except for a special season... No one can give you changes.. we are not on the coaching staff...but history dictates that JB will adjust and we will be in the hunt for NCAA tourney birth in March

And for rebounding...Cuse is never a great TREB team ...We have had some teams that OREB well, but we always give up OREB too. Per my original post, Our ball handling against pressure worries me a lot...I am curios to see the adjustments for that...but again not all teams can pressure us without getting hurt by us
Never is a strong word. We have had very good rebounding teams. It just hasn't been lately.

It's interesting how our fanbase justifies our declining aspects of performance by saying, "that's who we are," as if we've always been that way and that it's ok.

Watching SU play is like watching the turtle races at Maggie’s.

Not sure what your definition of “always struggle with” is, but it is certainly different than mine.

To me, it wasn’t just the Colgate loss, but the fact that Colgate was the better team, and was better coached.
I like Joe, but he has a better chance of breaking Elon Musk’ net worth record than a good press.
I don’t blame JB about KR. I always assumed there was non-game stuff going on, and a coach has to maintain control of the program. However there should have been recruiting going on to minimize that. It does not appear that there was.
Jimmy is a nice player, that’s it. Bennie has disappointed to date, but that is on the staff as evaluators, not the kid. How do we only bring in one guy this year?
SU just not fun to watch. It’s like watching my father deteriorate as he get older. It’s hard, and I can’t see it getting better.

yep...I think last year you could point to games where we played poor D and go “well we have Bras and some others on the bench that can bring some length to the zone, maybe that will work”

or we couldn’t rebound and you could point to Jesse and say “hey he had some good games...maybe he could stabilize the rebounding.”

the options for this team getting better for:
1 - Bennie plays and gets better. That will require Jimmy Jr or Cole to sit. I just don’t believe it’s going to happen. Bennie isn’t ready and it’s been written...until he’s ready.
2 - someone emerges to play consistent point guard for this team. I simply don’t see it with the two players on this team.

the option I keep seeing suggests we will “play better”. Ok...i can agree that if Cole plays well we can win games. Nothing in his playing history suggests that’s doable on a consistent basis
I remember watching an early season tournament game, AZ?, in a small arena. Steve Kerr
was point guard and he was scared of Sherm. Everytime the General got Somewhat near him he passed the ball. We need the same strategy; JG needs to pass as soon as he feels that pressure is coming. Buddy needs to be in position to help Joe out.

Last edited:
I remember watching an early season tournament game, AZ?, inasmall arena. John Kerry was point guard and he was scared of Sherm. Everytime the General got Somewhat near him he passed the ball. We need the same strategy; JG needs to pass as soon as he feels that pressure is coming. Buddy needs to be in position to help Joe out.
the problem with this...in an ideal world, Buddy would be setting up to work off of screens to get a shot off. Instead we have to help the PG get the ball up the floor.

Ultimately, the preferred method would be a Marek replacement in maybe Jimmy I guess over Buddy.

This show is gonna play out on TV ...no need to keep repeating what ballers already know.

I remember watching an early season tournament game, AZ?, in a small arena. Steve Kerr
was point guard and he was scared of Sherm. Everytime the General got Somewhat near him he passed the ball. We need the same strategy; JG needs to pass as soon as he feels that pressure is coming. Buddy needs to be in position to help Joe out.
IDK. 6 assists and zero turnovers in a win doesn’t seem scared. I don’t think Kerr was afraid of anyone. Might have been a different game.

it was comical. He never let Sherman get near him while he had the ball.

Looks like the Hoosiers are a solid team...
Rebound well, shoot the 3. They turn the ball over
alot but against OUR zone, will this be an issue?
I think we'll have our hands full.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom