Smart comments | Syracusefan.com

Smart comments

Flacusian

All Conference
Seems like all the talking heads are weighing in on the Marcus Smart fan shove incident. What I want to know is what is it that the fan said that incited Smart to react the way he did. Like everyone else I agree that no matter what was said by the fan it doesn't give any legitimacy to Smarts' actions but it's certainly a mitigating factor that can affect the final perception of how Marcus Smart is viewed.

How long will it be before we have some idea of what it was that the fan said. Or will we ever? It would seem that there were many people nearby who witnessed the incident and would be willing to give an account of it. It was made public that the guy in the crowd was a "superfan" for whatever that is worth.

Anyone who has gone to a college basketball game knows how vitriolic and shameful some fans can be toward the opposing team players. Perhaps it was not much of anything and Smart just happened to be at the end of his fuse but then again maybe the fan used the "N" word and made some type of debasing racist comment. Again, not that his doing so would legitimize Smarts' reaction but it would shed a different light on it.
Thoughts?

Agree with all you said. The quality of the feed was so good that a lip reader might be able to interpret what the man said.
I don't remember reading anything that would lead me to believe that Smart is a hot head.

Now if it had been Marshall Henderson---------!

realorange said:
Agree with all you said. The quality of the feed was so good that a lip reader might be able to interpret what the man said. I don't remember reading anything that would lead me to believe that Smart is a hot head. Now if it had been Marshall Henderson---------!

I have to admit, I kinda like the Henderson/Devendorf type guys. I think they make the game more interesting and it's awesome to see guys be so passionate about something they love.

I'll always defend Eric to any Cuse fan that gives him crap. He seriously is a very underrated player.

I have to admit, I kinda like the Henderson/Devendorf type guys. I think they make the game more interesting and it's awesome to see guys be so passionate about something they love.

I'll always defend Eric to any Cuse fan that gives him crap. He seriously is a very underrated player.

Imagine where Eric would be on the scoring list had played his final season. I think guys doing what Devo or Henderson do on the court is much different than going into the crowd to physically interact with a fan.

Here is the alleged comment:

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2...gedly-told-marcus-smart-to-go-back-to-africa/

Consider the sources before we assume it is 100% accurate; but the TT fan said he didn't use the N word, but the way Smart reacted you knew it was pretty bad.

Its going to be a he said she said thing now. Guy admits he said something he shouldn't have but doesn't admit he says what is alleged. I don't know that you can count on either woman next to him to honestly account for what he said because they looked very pro TT and probably know this guy.

Its going to be a he said she said thing now. Guy admits he said something he shouldn't have but doesn't admit he says what is alleged. I don't know that you can count on either woman next to him to honestly account for what he said because they looked very pro TT and probably know this guy.
True, but there were a lot more people within earshot. Someone will get an accurate quote.

It just pisses me off so much seeing somebody like this who's probably running his disgusting mouth like this for decades and the ONE time a player confronts him and gets in his face he says "Sorry". Seeing the video of the FU and the gross tongue thing he did, the guy is obviously a vial disgusting man. 6 year olds learn that they can't do something incredibly stupid and just say you're sorry after it. This guy obviously hasn't learned this. I really hope they take his tickets away, he doesn't deserve them.

True, but there were a lot more people within earshot. Someone will get an accurate quote.

I would guess that you are correct. The sad thing is if this guy did say something like what is alleged had Smart kept his cool and simply told the ref or security it would have put the spotlight on this guy and fans like this guy and getting rid of this kind of thing at games which would have been a great thing.

I would guess that you are correct. The sad thing is if this guy did say something like what is alleged had Smart kept his cool and simply told the ref or security it would have put the spotlight on this guy and fans like this guy and getting rid of this kind of thing at games which would have been a great thing.
True, but it was clearly a spur of the moment reaction on Smart's part. Hopefully, this "superfan" will not come out unscathed.

My point in the other thread. If he was thinking - just stand and point at the guy until security deals with it one way or the other. Don't let play resume until security makes an appearance.

My point in the other thread. If he was thinking - just stand and point at the guy until security deals with it one way or the other. Don't let play resume until security makes an appearance.

Players don't necessarily have that much control. At that point in a 2 point game with the arena going nuts and a few seconds left, who says the refs are going to be that interested in holding some fan accountable for what they said?

And they'll start play without players being ready. Do we remember when Carmelo was laying on the court knocked out, and the refs inbounded the ball and let play go on?

Players don't necessarily have that much control. At that point in a 2 point game with the arena going nuts and a few seconds left, who says the refs are going to be that interested in holding some fan accountable for what they said?

And they'll start play without players being ready. Do we remember when Carmelo was laying on the court knocked out, and the refs inbounded the ball and let play go on?

What those refs should have been fined.

What those refs should have been fined.

I can see that they may have thought he was playing possum for a second but it was a stoppage already for a travel why inbound the ball and worse yet why allow the play to come back to that end.

Underrated in what regard?

You're crazy - that's just good old fashioned hard-nosed officiating.

First rule of officiating, always assume they're faking the injury. PLAY ON!!

From the officials starting play again, to fans booing, to the announcers "WHAT IS HE DOING!?" to JR Smith seeming to blame Melo for his travel...that was one of the weirder things I've seen. Melo was unconscious and all these idiots are basically mad at him!

I watched 42 last night. I can't imagine a human being been treated like Jackie Robinson was. Using racist remarks to taunt someone is really despicable. The shove did not amount to much, and I would not discipline Smart if that is what happened.

AZOrange said:
Underrated in what regard?

Underrated that most people I come across (not on here) that will rattle off nonsense about Devendorf and call him names and don't realize how valuable a scorer and player he was.

I don't think he gets near the credit he deserves as a player at all. We still hear about how great Gerry was, how great Andy was, what about the guy that played with both of those guys and put up comparable or better numbers.

From the officials starting play again, to fans booing, to the announcers "WHAT IS HE DOING!?" to JR Smith seeming to blame Melo for his travel...that was one of the weirder things I've seen. Melo was unconscious and all these idiots are basically mad at him!

We all know they would have done the same to Lebron or Durant, thets not kid ourselves.

Melo didn't even get back on D what a loser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom