So…Jesse Edwards…and others like him… | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

So…Jesse Edwards…and others like him…

SCOTUS didn’t rule on NIL. They ruled on the restriction of education related compensation.
Well, Kavanaugh laid the ground work and the NCAA tucked tail and ran. https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2021/06/29/business-of-football-supreme-court-unanimous-ruling.
That ruling also upheld the O’Bannon ruling which held that it was an anti-trust violation to limit NIL.
The really big case will be this one. NCAA Class Action Lawsuit | Student Athletes Deserve a Minimum Wage. Absent Federal legislation, the NCAA may have to declare bankruptcy if this case gets to SCOTUS.
Anyone backing the NCAA as constituted is backing a losing horse, IMO.
It’s time for pro-leagues to follow the European soccer model. Grow your own.

Last edited:
Let the major sports be U23 professional leagues. That takes away the farce of academics and stops all this madness.

You will end up with about:

75 baseball teams
110 basketball teams
90 football teams
25 hockey teams (if profitable)
25 lacrosse teams (if profitable)
25 soccer teams (although maybe you leave this sport out)

Plus softball, women's basketball, women's soccer, women's ice hockey (assuming you keep men's too).

Everyone else plays NCAA sponsored competitions at a lower level. Kids can still make NIL but who is paying kids money for what is basically D2 major sports and olympic other sports.

So you are basically looking at schools from the P5, MWC, AAC, Big East, A10, and some randoms. Schools from the MAC, Sun Belt, CUSA would be lower level.

For SU we would keep basketball, football, lacrosse, softball, women's basketball, women's soccer. Maybe women's ice hockey. I would say no to men's soccer. Given the lack of talent in college soccer I cannot see the sport being profitable. So that would be an NCAA sport.

Well, Kavanaugh laid the ground work and the NCAA tucked tail and ran. https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2021/06/29/business-of-football-supreme-court-unanimous-ruling.
That ruling also upheld the O’Bannon ruling which held that it was an anti-trust violation to limit NIL.
The really big case will be this one. NCAA Class Action Lawsuit | Student Athletes Deserve a Minimum Wage. Absent Federal legislation, the NCAA may have to declare bankruptcy if this case gets to SCOTUS.
Anyone backing the NCAA as constituted is backing a losing horse, IMO.
It’s time for pro-leagues to follow the European soccer model. Grow your own.

Threats and warnings and laying groundwork are one thing but what I was replying to was that the “SCOTUS has already ruled”.

You know this but what the Alston decision did was the Supreme Court upheld a lower court’s decision that NCAA restrictions on “education-related benefits” for college athletes violated antitrust law.

Great thought. You want a scholarship sign here. Kid was as raw as an oyster. SU built him into a player, and he bolts. Not good. I love this concept and I believe it could be enforceable.
Yeah, he was here for four years and now "bolts" when most were anticipating he would turn pro anyway. And I thought player development didn't happen at SU, or so I have read repeatedly on this board.

IMO, it appears NIL really just comes down to how much one wants to pay a player, especially the top players, for their services. And, payment for their services is primarily done so to the extent in which an entity/school believes it can help them attain the most success.

It is, IMO, 100% pay for play, no matter what facade, loophole, etc. anyone attempts to place on it.

In Jesse's case, based upon what I've read here, SU offered him in the vicinity of $350,000 to play here one more year. He left as apparently the highest bidder is allegedly doubling this.

How does SU, or anyone for that matter, actually come up with a figure? I mean, how many folks in the SU community purchase numerous Jesse's number T's, authentic jersey's, etc.? Does Jesse really drive up ticket sales? Are more folks (eyeballs) watching SU simply because Jesse is on the team, etc. etc. This was a Syracuse team that went 17-15, not close to being ranked all season, missed the Dance for the second year in a row, etc.

And, in the cases of prep, high school recruits, etc. that have yet to even set foot on campus, what is their true NIL? These minor types really haven't accomplished anything of substance/significance, productivity, truly establishing an actual name for themselves, etc., etc., so what really is their true NIL? I would bet a significant amount of coin, that the vast majority of fans (other than us fanatic types here, etc.) have ever even heard of them until they arrive on campus. Most, until the season has well begun, multiple games played, watching, etc., will only then possible ponder, man, who's this X, Y or Z player we got, he seems pretty darn good, or along those lines.

Or, is it more what it truly is, how much will one entity pay another for his services rendered to perform at a particular school, etc., in hope of success/ROI, because that's what truly happening. And, this facade, etc. of calling it NIL is a farce to infinity and beyond levels.

Last edited:
It's not the NBAs job to save college athletics.

But it appears to be the NCAA and ESPN's intentions.

So many stupid and disruptive decisions in recent years!

Hey, here’s an idea……. how about having the NBA fund a true minor league. Than the kids that don’t care to get an education but have no other path to follow to pursue their dream would have a path and you could enforce the real amateur rules in College Hoops again.
College hoops would be done for, would have higher end talent in high school.

College hoops would be done for, would have higher end talent in high school.

Is college hoops about the overall talent level or is it more about the historical rivalries and match-ups so long as the talent level among those programs is "relatively" even whatever that talent level is???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom