So about Anae, Beck and the OL | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So about Anae, Beck and the OL

Yeah, I don't have a problem with the offensive line's performance. I get frustrated by missed opportunities and stupid mistakes. The dropped pass for a first down that hits a guy in the chest. Vetterello bobbing his head... again.
Me too, These dudes are gonna do things to make you frustrated. They have a mind of their own. Ive learned to deal with it better after coaching for so long. I used to go nuts. lol, Ive seen great wr's drop routine passes. Cooper has always caught tough passes. he drops a easy one. Its just another example of how things dont always go as plan. Their will be drops, missed tackles, blown calls, blown assignments. etc.. The team that has less of them wins more.

Me too, These dudes are gonna do things to make you frustrated. They have a mind of their own. Ive learned to deal with it better after coaching for so long. I used to go nuts. lol, Ive seen great wr's drop routine passes. Cooper has always caught tough passes. he drops a easy one. Its just another example of how things dont always go as plan. Their will be drops, missed tackles, blown calls, blown assignments. etc.. The team that has less of them wins more.
Yeah, the presnap stuff, especially from the center, is much more frustrating to me than a drop from a mostly reliable guy. I just have never seen so many presnap penalties called on a center.

Gasden in the slot is a nice piece and causes issues for teams because he runs against the 3-4th best DB or a LB much of the time and when they play zone he find holes well.. But a TE from the blocking position that could release would really free up the offense.

Running the read option with Wes Hoeh really set me off. Of course they’re going to key in on Shrader, since there’s no shot we’re handing off to a converted lineman.
That was bizarre. Wonder if we just ran the wrong pkay. Has to be right?

Not an expert, but it seems to me if GS could learn to trust just one more te/wr, he could key off Orande Gadsden’s excellence and use it against opposing defenses at certain points in games. Much like they have used Sean Tucker in the run game opening up GS on the ground.

Running the read option with Wes Hoeh really set me off. Of course they’re going to key in on Shrader, since there’s no shot we’re handing off to a converted lineman.
Seems like a clever trick play to me, Hough was "Mr. PA Football" as a RB in HS, so he obviously has some instincts carrying the ball.

You mean playing on the road against the #5 team in the country is different than playing on the road against the #5 team in Connecticut?

I mean…. It shouldn’t be right. We should just do our thing and win automatically. And because we won the first half it guarantees we win. Right?

Gasden in the slot is a nice piece and causes issues for teams because he runs against the 3-4th best DB or a LB much of the time and when they play zone he find holes well.. But a TE from the blocking position that could release would really free up the offense.

IMO we dont have enough offensive talent spread across the field to basically be giving up on a position (one teams struggle in general to cover). It is what it is for this year.

If I’m Dino, I’m having my recruiting coordinator contact the hs coach of every second string te at a major program to see if there’s in interest in coming to SU to be “the man.” (I admittedly don’t know if that’s a violation but who cares, just self impose a $5k fine or some other pittance)

Over reaction to playing the best DL we’ll see all year?
Quite possibly but if this is as Dino told the announcers the second best line we have had...I expect better than they have been.

my biggest complaint, can we get a legit TE and a shifty slot guy. our receivers are Alford/ gadsen and 8 other guys that don’t even show up on the TV
We had 2 serviceable TE's who both transferred, one in conference (Benson to GT). That raises questions.

They would both be serious improvements over Mang and Hoeh and its not even close.
How do you know that? Benson and Morris can’t block and aren’t good enough receiving threats. Hoeh and Mang are blocking TE’s that play a role in our run game and max protect pass game. Benson and Morris are not good enough to keep TE’s in for passing situations. You have to understand personnel and how it fits into the whole scheme of the offense.

Reactions: 007
agreed the turnovers and the D touchdown are exactly what Syracuse needed. At the end of the day our offense simply wasn’t good enough versus the Clemson D. We needed more production and more points obviously. Clemson was just better on defense. It‘s football It they kicked the crap out of our o in 2nd half And obviously Anae had no answer, which again happens! ( only a select few here on this forum could have dialed up the right play calls to win that game)
This team has 3 players you can count on on offense Shrader, Tucker, and OG. The 2018 team had at least 4 other players besides Dungey who made plays. Strickland, Neal, Riley, Custis, you also had Howard, N Johnson, and Harris.
A much better supporting cast then this year's group

Recruit. Recruit. Recruit.

OL has not been our strong suit on the recruiting trail. We rely on several years of development - like most middling programs. Hopefully that changes. Coaching improves dramatically with better recruits.

How do you know that? Benson and Morris can’t block and aren’t good enough receiving threats. Hoeh and Mang are blocking TE’s that play a role in our run game and max protect pass game. Benson and Morris are not good enough to keep TE’s in for passing situations. You have to understand personnel and how it fits into the whole scheme of the offense.
Can you explain the positives Heoh has brought to the table so far? I've noticed nothing, and he is a penalty looking for a place to happen.

I didn’t think losing Elmore would have the impact that it has. I was sadly mistaken.
This is a flaw in the offensive design imo.

Elmore has battled injuries. We don't have another player like him on the roster.

Given that, it seems very strange to pin so much of your offense on what that one guy brings.

This team has 3 players you can count on on offense Shrader, Tucker, and OG. The 2018 team had at least 4 other players besides Dungey who made plays. Strickland, Neal, Riley, Custis, you also had Howard, N Johnson, and Harris.
A much better supporting cast then this year's group
Great point. Neal and strickland had 100 yard rush games. Riley had multiple games of 100 yards recieving. This offense is not as great as people are making it. They are efficient though.

They are no better than what we have. Benson has 5 catches. Morris has 0
In fairness to Morris though, UofU is loaded with quality TEs. He's got NFL guys in front of him on the depth chart.

His time there will come.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom