So about Anae, Beck and the OL | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

So about Anae, Beck and the OL

Can you explain the positives Heoh has brought to the table so far? I've noticed nothing, and he is a penalty looking for a place to happen.
Are you going to watch all his plays or just the ones he false starts or holds? The staff wouldnt play him if he didnt think he helped. He's a young player. He will make mistakes from thinking too hard and trying too hard. He will get better. Everyone's development is different. He is just making his mistakes on the field in competitve games while others his age are not good enough to make the field.

In fairness to Morris though, UofU is loaded with quality TEs. He's got NFL guys in front of him on the depth chart.

His time there will come.
He was not going to be the difference maker this year. Thats the only point I was making. He had some serious blocking deficiences and was no better than Mahar catching. Now that doesnt mean he wont develop at Utah and kill it in years to come.

Can you explain the positives Heoh has brought to the table so far? I've noticed nothing, and he is a penalty looking for a place to happen.

I didn’t really notice it during the game but he was pretty good in the pass blocking game. PFF graded him 2nd best but he only had 7 snaps pass blocking while the others had 37.

Without actual grades

Vett - very good
Hoeh - good
Berg - average
Ellis - average
Mang - below average
Bleich - fail
Davis - fail

I didn’t really notice it during the game but he was pretty good in the pass blocking game. PFF graded him 2nd best but he only had 7 snaps pass blocking while the others had 37.

Without actual grades

Vett - very good
Hoeh - good
Berg - average
Ellis - average
Mang - below average
Bleich - fail
Davis - fail
Some will ignore all the other plays they did well and just remember the hold or false start in 1 or 2 plays.

What do you mean every game? Are you saying Hoeh does nothing right on the plays he is in?

He seems to get 1-2 penalties a game and we aren't running the ball well this year. So what value is he really bringing? Same thing with Mang.

But in both of their defense, why are they being asked to block DL one on one when the D is only rushing 4 guys? It happens too often.

Cooper seems to be that second guy and has been ok. We need someone else that's more than ok though. Who was the TE that transferred during preseason camp last year, Morris? Does he transfer if we have this staff in place? How much could he be helping us?
He had a huge drop. We need better.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I think on that play Shrader was audibling and Vet turned his head to hear. Not one of the Clemson players reacted to it. VERY weak call, Imo.
On the replay I saw a fast twitching movement. I can't give him the benefit of the doubt when he's had so many penalties against him this year.

He seems to get 1-2 penalties a game and we aren't running the ball well this year. So what value is he really bringing? Same thing with Mang.

But in both of their defense, why are they being asked to block DL one on one when the D is only rushing 4 guys? It happens too often.
Was trying to get claryifaction from him before giving him my thoughts. The false starts and holds are blantantly obvious. I ask you to watch the games as a whole and see what the staff like about him. See what they are trying to do. Then answer that question. He is one of the best we have for a positon the staff obviously thinks is important to the offense. Who is better?

They are max protect in certain situations. Do you see the plays we make when they help give us time to throw down field?

Reactions: 007
You have to understand personnel and how it fits into the whole scheme of the offense.
This is a great point. Then you (not "you" of course, I mean Joe average fan) have to understand that the defense has an entire, coordinated scheme and game plan to disrupt the offense. It sounds cliche, but there is a chess match taking place between the schemes, formations, personnel groupings, and play calls. In Clemson's case, they also have players with NFL talent and size to make things happen or take preferred options away above and beyond the scheme, even when the offense executes perfectly.

Lots of posters have hard-set personal opinions of what they think is happening and why it happened. It's to be expected. Very few here have the coaching background to understand how it all fits together to explain some of the things you think you are seeing play out. Your perspective and insights are very much appreciated money3189

I agree but doesn't mean the line play has met the pre-season expectations.
Stop. They have met expectations pre-season or otherwise. If Dino says this line is only behind the 2018 OL and we’re 6-1 and for most of the game yesterday, GS had time? They are fine.

We didnt look great because they have 4 NFL guys on their DL and we have 1 on our OL

That was bizarre. Wonder if we just ran the wrong pkay. Has to be right?
From looking back at it I think it was a called QB draw with Hoeh as the lead blocker that the Clemson defensive line just completely blew up.

This is a great point. Then you (not "you" of course, I mean Joe average fan) have to understand that the defense has an entire, coordinated scheme and game plan to disrupt the offense. It sounds cliche, but there is a chess match taking place between the schemes, formations, personnel groupings, and play calls. In Clemson's case, they also have players with NFL talent and size to make things happen or take preferred options away above and beyond the scheme, even when the offense executes perfectly.

Lots of posters have hard-set personal opinions of what they think is happening and why it happened. It's to be expected. Very few here have the coaching background to understand how it all fits together to explain some of the things you think you are seeing play out. Your perspective and insights are very much appreciated money3189
You said this perfectly. We let our bias block us from seeing what the other team is doing. We just see what we are not doing. Im not trying to be funny. It’s just a fact with most fans. I do it at times as well.

Last edited:
Anae has our O better that's obvious, but the more we play the more questions arise. Beck I assume is not our clock management guru since we looked like typical Dino math at end of the game. The OL isn't good and don't seem tremendously coached up in terms of discipline or operating as a unit. Lots of missed assignments and finally what is Mang doing on the last drive? Was he trying to run a pattern after he gave the Clemson guy free run at GS?

Mang and Hoeh were both dreadful. So many mistakes, especially in the second half!

From looking back at it I think it was a called QB draw with Hoeh as the lead blocker that the Clemson defensive line just completely blew up.

Yup. That was his worst of about 3 mistakes in half a dozen plays, it seemed.

We needed a healthy Tucker, which may have been enough by itself, and one more reliable WR. I think a healthy Tucker makes them pay when they start spying Shrader or prevents them from spying in the first place.

Well, if Tucker wasn't healthy, why not give that kid from New Mexico State a try? He showed pretty well last time out, and he has a more mature body than the freshman from NJ.

Well, if Tucker wasn't healthy, why not give that kid from New Mexico State a try? He showed pretty well last time out, and he has a more mature body than the freshman from NJ.
I've been a broken record here. The staff does not seem to think they can get it done. Why? Beats me. Not all freshman are ready to play right away and Price wasn't good enough to beat out Allen.

I've been a broken record here. The staff does not seem to think they can get it done. Why? Beats me. Not all freshman are ready to play right away and Price wasn't good enough to beat out Allen.

Sometimes you have to run plays to set up other plays. They had Shrader run it pretty much every single time in the second half. That had a lot to do with not scoring - poor play calling, IMO. Not nearly as "mix it up" as it was in the first half.

Sometimes you have to run plays to set up other plays. They had Shrader run it pretty much every single time in the second half. That had a lot to do with not scoring - poor play calling, IMO. Not nearly as "mix it up" as it was in the first half.
But you have to also have options. Clemson took away out one good WR. Tucker is hurt and they don't have confidence in the back ups. We just didn't have options against a much more talented team. When you're the underdog, you have to have your best players available to have a realistic shot.

Seems like a clever trick play to me, Hough was "Mr. PA Football" as a RB in HS, so he obviously has some instincts carrying the ball.

It was not Josh Hough, it was #47 Wes Hoeh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom