So, after this year Marrone's first full class will | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

So, after this year Marrone's first full class will

Right now SU's offense is a competent offense that gets it's production from efficiency, protecting the ball, and not beating itself. It lacks an explosive element and doesn't get big chunks of yds or easy points. It also doesn't run a lot of plays compared to most.

It's not a horrid offense at all, but it's been limited in what it's been able to do to this point. Run a couple of more plays, get a couple more 10 -20 yd plays, hit one more long play (30+) per game and the offense is in the 50's, if not better in yardage.
Oh Lord

I'm sorry, are we talking about Syracuse University, or State University of Delusion?

Snarkin'.

Thats not average. thats way below average for BCS program. What you are really saying is that we'll have one of the worst offenses for any BCS school and you are ok with that.

It's also not the correct numbers and I'm not even sure you realize that as IB keeps changing the bar. For all FBS schools we are 64th and IB wants 55-60 which he deemed average for the 120 FBS schools. So that would be pretty accurate that 55-60 is average. We are 64th, so we are "close" to average.

Now you are saying that stinks for BCS programs. Will since there are only 67BCS schools, yes 55-60 would stink. But we are 39th (not 64th) out of 67in the BCS and like the FBS numbers, that is south of the average but not so far that it stinks. The magnitude to which you and IB choose to say we are less than average is overstated.

The magnitude to which you and IB choose to say we are less than average is overstated.

thats possible. but coupled with crap recruiting i dont think its good enough to keep.

just my humble opinion.

Again...inconsistency.

Did you already forget what a "horrid" offense really looks like? 2005-2008 wasn't that long ago, was it?

My thoughts exactly. This is all about inconsistency. People like IB want us to believe that what we saw against Louisville was the norm. That's simply untrue. For every Rutgers, there has been a West Virginia. By my count, we've had 3 offensive stinkers (RU, Louisville, and URI). People sure do forget pretty quickly around here. I sat my ass in the Dome for the Grob years. I'm loving the baby steps so far.

How long of a field do we have on average? Do we score better than our ypg indicates? We do good in turnover margin so does that impact whether we have to go 60 yards vs 80? We do poorly in PR. That has a negative impact on short fields. But we are one of the best in the country at KOR so even there we have shorter fields. There is no way you can just use 1 data point.

Red zone efficiency also has to be part of the equation the relates Yds/game to Pts/game.

We were definitely more aggressive this game. I do think we went a little too far away from what has worked for us this year though. It almost seemed like our coaches thought we couldn't get it done so lets go to gimmicks and bombs.

An interesting play which I wish we had gone back to was the one on the goaline where Nassib overthrew West and Provo was also open. We were in a bunch and UL blew the coverage big time. UL is pretty young on D and may have been vulnerable to that bunch formation. Maybe we did go back to it and just didn't execute.

I guess that's what I wonder sometimes, are we gameplanning a little too much by opponent instead of continuing with things we do well? I don't remember a TE wheel route in the Louisville game. Could have run it and it was covered, hard to tell on TV. But given the multiple TDs against WVU, I figured I'd see more of it. To me, it works much better than our 2 yard passes to the TE and hoping that he'll beat the LB around the corner, something that to me, is just unfair to ask of Provo as we do over and over and over. Not in his skillset. Maybe Louisville is the best TE wheel route covering team in college football, I don't know.

A gameplan setup to take shots deep with our current QB doesn't seem like a gameplan designed for victory. He has overthrown and overthrown and overthrown. So did we just think Saturday was the day?

We all knew the offense would be a big point of discussion this week. When you follow up a 42 point 400+ yard effort with a 246 and 10, most of those gaudy #s in garbage time, people are going to start raising questions. Should we be THAT inconsistent in just 8 days because Greg Robinson was our coach 3 years ago? I know Louisville's D is very good, but so was WVU's coming into our game.

As was said yesterday, we have 4 games left, against the 4 worst defenses we'll face in Big East play. I know IB is going to hit me with a UConn fearsome foursome DL reply, but that team has given up over 400 yards passing in 3 of their last 4 games. Unless another noreaster rolls through, it will be really disappointing if we throw for less than 200 yards and can't find the end zone.

I guess that's what I wonder sometimes, are we gameplanning a little too much by opponent instead of continuing with things we do well? I don't remember a TE wheel route in the Louisville game. Could have run it and it was covered, hard to tell on TV. But given the multiple TDs against WVU, I figured I'd see more of it. To me, it works much better than our 2 yard passes to the TE and hoping that he'll beat the LB around the corner, something that to me, is just unfair to ask of Provo as we do over and over and over. Not in his skillset. Maybe Louisville is the best TE wheel route covering team in college football, I don't know.

A gameplan setup to take shots deep with our current QB doesn't seem like a gameplan designed for victory. He has overthrown and overthrown and overthrown. So did we just think Saturday was the day?

We all knew the offense would be a big point of discussion this week. When you follow up a 42 point 400+ yard effort with a 246 and 10, most of those gaudy #s in garbage time, people are going to start raising questions. Should we be THAT inconsistent in just 8 days because Greg Robinson was our coach 3 years ago? I know Louisville's D is very good, but so was WVU's coming into our game.

As was said yesterday, we have 4 games left, against the 4 worst defenses we'll face in Big East play. I know IB is going to hit me with a UConn fearsome foursome DL reply, but that team has given up over 400 yards passing in 3 of their last 4 games. Unless another noreaster rolls through, it will be really disappointing if we throw for less than 200 yards and can't find the end zone.

P will be ready... I assure you Coach P will be ready for this. UCONN's D will look like 85 Bears, their offense like Martz's Rams in their hay day...

In all seriousness, if we lose Saturday with another day on offense, I dont want to hear about the UCONN D, etc. Their front 4 is good and we will have truoble blocking them, that much I know. Their corners/ safeties aren't very good.

UCONN's receivers if they have any, flat out stink. I would pressure them 35 in the box but somehow if their receivers are 30 yards open it won't surprise... If we lose, there is absolutely no way I will be posting for a week or so, I will snap.. UCONN and Syracuse are about a dead even match up if you ask me.. I know people will say we have the much better qb, etc etc but I don't believe any of it. It's a dead even match up. Two teams with conservative coaches, who recruit about the same and have questionable athleticism everywhere.. Sounds like a beauty.. (Insert how much better we have recruited, how we have more speed, etc etc etc here) But we haven't and dont

UCONN did appear to be able to run the ball

I'm a hair concerned that we continue to hear how inept offenses are the week before we play them (WVU excluded obviously) and then, apparently, the light comes on for their pass offense against our defense. Just saying it's a concern...

I'm a hair concerned that we continue to hear how inept offenses are the week before we play them (WVU excluded obviously) and then, apparently, the light comes on for their pass offense against our defense. Just saying it's a concern...

Our pass defense is ranked #111, but someone here will probably state that this is "average". :bang: Our pass defense is pretty bad and I think that stat speaks for itself and shows why most teams can pass against us.. UCONN's qb missed a lot of guys versus Pitt and we have to hope for the same...

It's also not the correct numbers and I'm not even sure you realize that as IB keeps changing the bar. For all FBS schools we are 64th and IB wants 55-60 which he deemed average for the 120 FBS schools. So that would be pretty accurate that 55-60 is average. We are 64th, so we are "close" to average.

Now you are saying that stinks for BCS programs. Will since there are only 67BCS schools, yes 55-60 would stink. But we are 39th (not 64th) out of 67in the BCS and like the FBS numbers, that is south of the average but not so far that it stinks. The magnitude to which you and IB choose to say we are less than average is overstated.

I said between 55-60 total offense, I never changed a thing, that is MY barometer, you may disagree with it but I haven't changed it.. You should be a politician bees

Am I the only one who thinks we're actually AHEAD of schedule from the GRob years?
Didn't we get to, & win a Bowl game last year, after suffering a near-decade of futility? Aren't we on track to make it consecutive bowls this year...& isn't that a positive?
Was 2010 Marrone's 2nd year or 8th year, someone fill me in?
Wasn't there a !tload of biotchin' & moaning about the state of SU football just 24 months prior, & now we can actually look forward to saturday, instead of hiding our heads when final scores are shown?
I can't understand the seemingly blind & panicked hysteria that seems to have overtaken the forum, & I'll refrain from calling out the ringleaders of said hysteria, as thats not necessary. I mean, we all have our POV's, but the negativity is mind-blowing to me!
One loss to UL & all perspective goes out the window, all progress is irrelevant, & doom-&-gloom is the order of the day? What?
Call me crazy, a kool-aid drinker, whatever, but... I. Just. Don't. Get. It. :crazy:

I said between 55-60 total offense, I never changed a thing, that is MY barometer, you may disagree with it but I haven't changed it.. You should be a politician bees

You did change the bar as did Stan. 55-60 (your first numbers) relates to all FBS schools. Stan's post and your reply below relates to BCS schools.

SaintTristan said:
Thats not average. thats way below average for BCS program. What you are really saying is that we'll have one of the worst offenses for any BCS school and you are ok with that.​
LOL, yes I am. I aspire to be below average. Thank you. That is all I ask, according to most here we are already average.

Our pass defense is ranked #111, but someone here will probably state that this is "average". :bang: Our pass defense is pretty bad and I think that stat speaks for itself and shows why most teams can pass against us.. UCONN's qb missed a lot of guys versus Pitt and we have to hope for the same...

We are 64th (FBS schools) in both O and D in the barometer that determines winners and losers.

As I said, people need to watch more college football if you think we have a "competent" offense.

I have been saying this for years IB. Gave up years ago. The SU fanbase seems in large part to pretty much just watch SU games a handful of Big East games.

44cuse

I have been saying this for years IB. Gave up years ago. The SU fanbase seems in large part to pretty much just watch SU games a handful of Big East games.

44cuse
yep, it's pointless

We are 64th (FBS schools) in both O and D in the barometer that determines winners and losers.

LOL, whatever. We were talking about pass defense and we are where I stated we are which is #111, if you think that is average then so be it but dont put words in my mouth, we have gone from expecting to lose to competing, which is great, we next need to expect to win, amd then expecting to win big versus inferior opponents and competing with the best teams. Day in day out we are competing for the most part.

Am I the only one who thinks we're actually AHEAD of schedule from the GRob years?
Didn't we get to, & win a Bowl game last year, after suffering a near-decade of futility? Aren't we on track to make it consecutive bowls this year...& isn't that a positive?
Was 2010 Marrone's 2nd year or 8th year, someone fill me in?
Wasn't there a !tload of biotchin' & moaning about the state of SU football just 24 months prior, & now we can actually look forward to saturday, instead of hiding our heads when final scores are shown?
I can't understand the seemingly blind & panicked hysteria that seems to have overtaken the forum, & I'll refrain from calling out the ringleaders of said hysteria, as thats not necessary. I mean, we all have our POV's, but the negativity is mind-blowing to me!
One loss to UL & all perspective goes out the window, all progress is irrelevant, & doom-&-gloom is the order of the day? What?
Call me crazy, a kool-aid drinker, whatever, but... I. Just. Don't. Get. It. :crazy:

Maybe I just run with a rational crowd of easy graders but you certainly aren't the only one. I'm always amazed at the roller coaster on this board after losses as though we are not supposed to lose conference games ever or that the offense isn't a work in progress. I think we have a significant silent majority (on this board and as a fan base in general) who feels we are ahead of schedule and who understands that the Offense as currently constructed is not what we are going to see once the head coach gets his players in place.

Maybe I just run with a rational crowd of easy graders but you certainly aren't the only one. I'm always amazed at the roller coaster on this board after losses as though we are not supposed to lose conference games ever or that the offense isn't a work in progress. I think we have a significant silent majority (on this board and as a fan base in general) who feels we are ahead of schedule and who understands that the Offense as currently constructed is not what we are going to see once the head coach gets his players in place.

Do you really believe things are, offensively, "ahead of schedule?" I would say "on schedule" and trending the wrong direction. But imo not "ahead of schedule."

I would love to have 450 yds per game (and I do absolutely believe yds equal points). But that is not going to happen with the talent level we had/have. Teams are not going to have KOR and TO differential #'s like we have this year every year. But over time, yds equals points more than anything else.

44cuse

44cuse

You gave up on this years ago? Under GROB? Because I can't imagine anyone was touting that offense as anything but incompetent. Being overly critical and making outlandish statements loaded with irrational negativity is wildly different than voicing concerns in a coherent, thought-out matter. You and IB can exchange posts that basically imply that you guys have it all figured out and the rest of us are completely insane because we don't pick apart everything this team does wrong and hold it up to be the end-all, be-all opinion of this team. However, some of us have different opinions of how to build a program, and some people realize that it requires patience in building talent and turning a team from the sh!thole it was in into a winner.

When you follow up a 42 point 400+ yard effort with a 246 and 10, most of those gaudy #s in garbage time, people are going to start raising questions. Should we be THAT inconsistent in just 8 days because Greg Robinson was our coach 3 years ago?
Chip is dealing today folks.

You gave up on this years ago? Under GROB? Because I can't imagine anyone was touting that offense as anything but incompetent. Being overly critical and making outlandish statements loaded with irrational negativity is wildly different than voicing concerns in a coherent, thought-out matter. You and IB can exchange posts that basically imply that you guys have it all figured out and the rest of us are completely insane because we don't pick apart everything this team does wrong and hold it up to be the end-all, be-all opinion of this team. However, some of us have different opinions of how to build a program, and some people realize that it requires patience in building talent and turning a team from the sh!thole it was in into a winner.

I think anyone who feels that the offense we have right now is an average college offense is blinded by orange colored glasses or does not watch enough college football, or just trying to argue with me which is fine too, if that floats your boat

Do you really believe things are, offensively, "ahead of schedule?" I would say "on schedule" and trending the wrong direction. But imo not "ahead of schedule."

I would love to have 450 yds per game (and I do absolutely believe yds equal points). But that is not going to happen with the talent level we had/have. Teams are not going to have KOR and TO differential #'s like we have this year every year. But over time, yds equals points more than anything else.

44cuse

Yes, unlike some here, I don't think the offense is that "offensive". Trending in the "wrong" direction? I would like to have asked you that after the WVU game. We're an inconsistent offense with middling talent. It is what it is. But I'm certainly not concerned long-term in where we are headed.

Look at QB recruiting, for example. We are certainly trending to more athletic, playmaker types with Broyld and Hunt, for example. I don't think this current iteration is HCDM's offensive vision and its doubtful that the current crop fit into what he eventually wants to run. Maybe I'm more patient than most but I certainly didn't have any delusions of a Houston Cougars offense in year 3.

44cuse

Ive seen close to every SU game live, on TV or on tape for 45 years now or more.

Not sure what you are talking about. I have been saying, for 10+ years on these boards, that I don't believe most SU football fans watch much more than SU Football. And, in those 10 years I have asked many other fans (both in the CNY area and outside of it) their opinion of this and even those who watch a lot of SU games self admit they don't watch much more college football.

Where...in any thread...can you find irrational negativity in any of my posts? In fact, I literally JUST said to Cuseman something to the tune of (or nearly exact): "I believe we are right where should be offensively." Very hard to construe that statement as "irrational negativity" given the context of this thread.

Also, go back and find ANYWHERE where I have picked ANYTHING apart about this team outside WR handling press coverage better and not getting run off their routes and the well publicized and generally accepted issues with the OL.

If you're gonna post something like that...at least be close to accurate.

44cuse

I think anyone who feels that the offense we have right now is an average college offense is blinded by orange colored glasses or does not watch enough college football, or just trying to argue with me which is fine too, if that floats your boat

I think most, including me, have said that it is either average or close to average. I don't think anyone has said it doesn't have a ways to go or is some juggernaut. But there are some that want to ignore some things and act like it "stinks". 64th in O and 64th in D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom