So, after this year Marrone's first full class will | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

So, after this year Marrone's first full class will

Ive seen close to every SU game live, on TV or on tape for 45 years now or more.

So I don't have 45...but I have 30. And can count those I have missed on both hands. But that wasn't my point and was probably a result of a typo. The point is: Seems like most SU fans watch primarily just SU games _and a handful of BE games_. Meaning they may watch Louisville/Rutgers or USF/UCONN.

And having talked to a lot of SU fans over the years (at games...home and away, in sports bars, at hoops games, etc) most seem to agree. They aren't watching Ole Miss/Auburn, or Washington/Oregon, or Iowa/Illinois. College Football is not a big deal in the NorthEast like it is in other geographies. That was the point. It's not a cultural thing like it is other places.

Fall is the best time of the year in Upstate NY. I don't blame them for that but it's not necessarily an inaccurate observation.

44cuse

P will be ready... I assure you Coach P will be ready for this.

I would like to think Marrone will be ready for this too, he hasn't defeated UConn yet. If he's not ready, then I'm running Greg Robinson over with my car.

I would like to think Marrone will be ready for this too, he hasn't defeated UConn yet. If he's not ready, then I'm running Greg Robinson over with my car.
HOF posting today.

Am I the only one who thinks we're actually AHEAD of schedule from the GRob years?
Didn't we get to, & win a Bowl game last year, after suffering a near-decade of futility? Aren't we on track to make it consecutive bowls this year...& isn't that a positive?
Was 2010 Marrone's 2nd year or 8th year, someone fill me in?
Wasn't there a !tload of biotchin' & moaning about the state of SU football just 24 months prior, & now we can actually look forward to saturday, instead of hiding our heads when final scores are shown?
I can't understand the seemingly blind & panicked hysteria that seems to have overtaken the forum, & I'll refrain from calling out the ringleaders of said hysteria, as thats not necessary. I mean, we all have our POV's, but the negativity is mind-blowing to me!
One loss to UL & all perspective goes out the window, all progress is irrelevant, & doom-&-gloom is the order of the day? What?
Call me crazy, a kool-aid drinker, whatever, but... I. Just. Don't. Get. It. :crazy:

As a football team we're clearly ahead of schedule. Very clearly. I can't imagine anyone here would doubt that. As an offense, are we ahead of schedule? That's the question. The answer is probably yes, but hard to define, we average 66 yards per game more than 2008, ranking is up from 115 to 96. It's going to be a frustrating process for some, and it's hard to get all over them about it. We have heard many rumblings that this current offense (our 2nd under Marrone) will likely not be what we eventually run post Nassib. Is that a problem for people that we're likely delaying progress by not running what we're going to run? Or should we not worry because we're getting the 6-7 wins necessary for a bowl game? Up to the individual to decide, beauty of being a fan, love them or hate them.

As I said earlier, we'll hopefully have at least one or two games that look more like WVU and 0 that look like Louisville. And we should get to 7 wins again with a bowl game.

Come next year, we don't need to feel like 6-7 wins is nirvana because of the Robinson era. We've had 2 years straight of it, we're back, let's keep moving forward. I'm excited to see the next wave of players on offense, but I hope it's not going to be too stressful of a process for the coaches for some of them to learn on the job.

Im taking time off if we lose to UCONN which will be good news for many folks, I am not saying that we shouldn't lose to them but that I will be that pissed and if we lay a turd on offense it could send me over the edge.. You are right where is GROB? Where is lluvmygrands? Where is Tim Lane? My god... how about a few of those linebackers from that era.. I blame the UCONN loss on Big Red Mckenzie, no on Bruce Williams, he cant beat press coverage! Damit Bring back the pistol!!!! Damit, I have too much on my plate!!!

8-4 is the goal, improvement is the goal,

Yes, unlike some here, I don't think the offense is that "offensive". Trending in the "wrong" direction? I would like to have asked you that after the WVU game. We're an inconsistent offense with middling talent. It is what it is. But I'm certainly not concerned long-term in where we are headed.

Look at QB recruiting, for example. We are certainly trending to more athletic, playmaker types with Broyld and Hunt, for example. I don't think this current iteration is HCDM's offensive vision and its doubtful that the current crop fit into what he eventually wants to run. Maybe I'm more patient than most but I certainly didn't have any delusions of a Houston Cougars offense in year 3.

I'm not that far off from where you are...but I'm not completely there either. Here are the things I have liked so for (some are ambiguous or subjective, so it is what it is):

-Nassib's development (I was negative on this last year and am very pleased with what we have _right now_ in Nassib. Has his faults, but people are conveniently forgetting: Troy Nunes, RJ Anderson, etc).
-Producing with what we have: Very well aware that I am in the minority here, but that does not change my opinion. I do not believe we have a lot of talent of offense and believe the Staff has done very well with what they have.
-Bowl game: I predicted a bowl game in Season 3.

Things I see as concerns (same caveat...may be ambiguous/subjective):
-The OL is still far from where it needs to be and given Marrone's background, expected the OL to be a strength. I believe you win football games in the trenches (regardless of offensive style). You know I believe that. And we have not dominated the LOS consistently in Marrone's tenure and I don't see that getting better (outside of maturation) next year.
-Yards: YDS are a predictor of points. We don't gain enough yards (yet we are still scoring a reasonable # of points this season). I would rather see consistency in yds over time because I believe it to be a leading indicator of points.
-Adjustment on Offense: this is probably a neutral more than a negative (to be fair) because I truly believe Marrone is dealing with far less talent than we realize and dealing with a much worse culture than we realize. So the # of things we can do on offense I believe are limited. That said, I do question why it seems so obvious to get more WR's out in patters than sending just 2 and max 3 guys out.

As for the WVU game specifically, and you can go back and check this, I said exactly that "turning the corner" or getting to the next level is not a function of one game. It's a matter of consistency. And to OPA's point from Saturday, it was one of the most important games of Marrone's career. To come out and do it again would have been an indication of gaining consistency.

I have no idea what our future offense is going to look like. Personally, I hope this isn't it. Nor do I want the Houston offense. But if this is it, that would not be good IMO.

So at the end of the day, there is no doubt in my mind that Marrone is the right guy. I think it all starts at culture and that is a 3 year min process to change.

44cuse

I'm not that far off from where you are...but I'm not completely there either. Here are the things I have liked so for (some are ambiguous or subjective, so it is what it is):

-Nassib's development (I was negative on this last year and am very pleased with what we have _right now_ in Nassib. Has his faults, but people are conveniently forgetting: Troy Nunes, RJ Anderson, etc).
-Producing with what we have: Very well aware that I am in the minority here, but that does not change my opinion. I do not believe we have a lot of talent of offense and believe the Staff has done very well with what they have.
-Bowl game: I predicted a bowl game in Season 3.

Things I see as concerns (same caveat...may be ambiguous/subjective):
-The OL is still far from where it needs to be and given Marrone's background, expected the OL to be a strength. I believe you win football games in the trenches (regardless of offensive style). You know I believe that. And we have not dominated the LOS consistently in Marrone's tenure and I don't see that getting better (outside of maturation) next year.
-Yards: YDS are a predictor of points. We don't gain enough yards (yet we are still scoring a reasonable # of points this season). I would rather see consistency in yds over time because I believe it to be a leading indicator of points.
-Adjustment on Offense: this is probably a neutral more than a negative (to be fair) because I truly believe Marrone is dealing with far less talent than we realize and dealing with a much worse culture than we realize. So the # of things we can do on offense I believe are limited. That said, I do question why it seems so obvious to get more WR's out in patters than sending just 2 and max 3 guys out.

As for the WVU game specifically, and you can go back and check this, I said exactly that "turning the corner" or getting to the next level is not a function of one game. It's a matter of consistency. And to OPA's point from Saturday, it was one of the most important games of Marrone's career. To come out and do it again would have been an indication of gaining consistency.

I have no idea what our future offense is going to look like. Personally, I hope this isn't it. Nor do I want the Houston offense. But if this is it, that would not be good IMO.

So at the end of the day, there is no doubt in my mind that Marrone is the right guy. I think it all starts at culture and that is a 3 year min process to change.

44cuse

You dont want the Houston offense or you don't expect it? This isnt a trick question, the only problem with Houston is their games take so damn long some people may get stuck in traffic or miss their curfew..:rolling:

Not sure what you are talking about. I have been saying, for 10+ years on these boards, that I don't believe most SU football fans watch much more than SU Football. And, in those 10 years I have asked many other fans (both in the CNY area and outside of it) their opinion of this and even those who watch a lot of SU games self admit they don't watch much more college football.

Where...in any thread...can you find irrational negativity in any of my posts? In fact, I literally JUST said to Cuseman something to the tune of (or nearly exact): "I believe we are right where should be offensively." Very hard to construe that statement as "irrational negativity" given the context of this thread.

Also, go back and find ANYWHERE where I have picked ANYTHING apart about this team outside WR handling press coverage better and not getting run off their routes and the well publicized and generally accepted issues with the OL.

If you're gonna post something like that...at least be close to accurate.

44cuse

Yeah, I'll be honest with you...You probably got the brunt of a little frustration you didn't deserve there. For the life of me, I just can't understand the level of negativity (not necessarily coming from you) about this team, and I'm failing to understand what made some people think this team was going to set the world on fire offensively or what people expect only so far removed from being so low on the totem pole. I agree with you: they are where they should be...average/below average...I would go with slightly below average, but it's semantics. While I can't speak for the entire SU football fan-dom, I do watch a fair amount of college football and was at the Ohio State-Michigan State a couple weeks ago and offensively, that game was an abomination.

Basically, I just wanted to point out that while I was responding to your post, it really was aimed at an audience larger than just you. Because there has been some irrational negativity coming from several. Apologies if that was misinterpreted.

Im taking time off if we lose to UCONN which will be good news for many folks, I am not saying that we shouldn't lose to them but that I will be that pissed and if we lay a turd on offense it could send me over the edge.. You are right where is GROB? Where is lluvmygrands? Where is Tim Lane? My god... how about a few of those linebackers from that era.. I blame the UCONN loss on Big Red Mckenzie, no on Bruce Williams, he cant beat press coverage! Damit Bring back the pistol!!!!

8-4 is the goal, improvement is the goal,

Don't pull a Scooch. I remember after we lost to UConn in 2005 I thought he was never going to post again. I think he didn't resurface until sometime in 2006, maybe later. Can't have that.

As for the linebackers in that era, they are talented. Just weren't all that football talented. If anyone sings a better national anthem than Jake Flaherty, I'd love to hear it.

Don't pull a Scooch. I remember after we lost to UConn in 2005 I thought he was never going to post again. I think he didn't resurface until sometime in 2006, maybe later. Can't have that.

As for the linebackers in that era, they are talented. Just weren't all that football talented. If anyone sings a better national anthem than Jake Flaherty, I'd love to hear it.

no doubt great set of lungs, vert talented young man. Tremendous

and who can forget a rain soaked GROB from 2005, so freaking pathetic, a part of us all died that evening... things have definitely gotten better but how could they not after enduring that disaster

Yeah, I'll be honest with you...You probably got the brunt of a little frustration you didn't deserve there. For the life of me, I just can't understand the level of negativity (not necessarily coming from you) about this team, and I'm failing to understand what made some people think this team was going to set the world on fire offensively or what people expect only so far removed from being so low on the totem pole. I agree with you: they are where they should be...average/below average...I would go with slightly below average, but it's semantics. While I can't speak for the entire SU football fan-dom, I do watch a fair amount of college football and was at the Ohio State-Michigan State a couple weeks ago and offensively, that game was an abomination.

Basically, I just wanted to point out that while I was responding to your post, it really was aimed at an audience larger than just you. Because there has been some irrational negativity coming from several. Apologies if that was misinterpreted.

Fair...and thanks for taking that response. Much appreciated.

And I get it. I'm with you...we are right around where we should be. Things in this program were awful. There is a lot to work on. That said, fans are fans. Even the best points are going to be over the line with how they are laid out. The reality is...we need more yards and we need better offense and we need better OL play and we need more play makers. Doubt anyone would disagree with any of that. It's how you get there.

I bet OSU/Mich was fun. I'll probably end end up at Stanford/Oregon this year. :)

44cuse

As a TEAM, and frankly that's what's most important right now, we ARE ahead of schedule.

The criticism of the offense is, IMHO, justified- but misplaced. I don't think you have enough of a test sample to say yay or nay to Marrone's offensive system. There simply hasn't been enough time, & others factors are still in play, like new system, staff, prevous regime's recruits, etc.

The point is, most everyone would agree the PROGRAM is trending upward, so singling out the offense as some test-case on Marrone, is misplaced & ill-timed. Its simply not prudent, at this juncture. (All apologies to GHW Bush)!
By almost every measure, we're moving forward- from fan interest, to attendance, to W/L record, to national perception, to Bowl bids, etc.
Should our offensive ranking be better, well...YES, obviously. Will it improve like every other aspect of the team has? Emphatically, I say YES!
The real issue appears to be that there are those who believe HCDM is not up to the job- rather than some sidebar regarding offensive rankings. And that's where I get confused, since every indication points to his being a long-term success at SU.
If we're still at this same spot in 2 years, the skeptics might have a case, but as of now, its just too soon to tell- IMHO.

My personal wish for an OC to bring in is the East Carolina OC. Look at the amazing work he's doing with Domanique Davis.

So I don't have 45...but I have 30. And can count those I have missed on both hands. But that wasn't my point and was probably a result of a typo. The point is: Seems like most SU fans watch primarily just SU games _and a handful of BE games_. Meaning they may watch Louisville/Rutgers or USF/UCONN.

And having talked to a lot of SU fans over the years (at games...home and away, in sports bars, at hoops games, etc) most seem to agree. They aren't watching Ole Miss/Auburn, or Washington/Oregon, or Iowa/Illinois. College Football is not a big deal in the NorthEast like it is in other geographies. That was the point. It's not a cultural thing like it is other places.

Fall is the best time of the year in Upstate NY. I don't blame them for that but it's not necessarily an inaccurate observation.

44cuse

Yea, after I posted I realized a word was missing and I mistook your post. But I have seen a lot of other games too! :)

Yea, after I posted I realized a word was missing and I mistook your post. But I have seen a lot of other games too! :)
Check! And certainly not intended to apply to everyone. I know people on this board who watch a lot of college football as well. But as we all know...this board is VERY different. ;)

44cuse

Check! And certainly not intended to apply to everyone. I know people on this board who watch a lot of college football as well. But as we all know...this board is VERY different. ;)

44cuse
I gotta admit, I was the same way with not watching a lot of college football. Then I joined up over at Every Day Should Be Saturday, started getting into the overall game of college football, and everything you say is right. This offense literally makes me eyes bleed, and to see some schools do a hell of a lot more on offense with less talent saddens me.

I vowed leading up to that Friday night nightmare in 2005 that if SU lost to UConn I would leap off the nearest tall building in East Hartford. I chickened out of that promise, but I did refrain from posting for the remainder of the season.

I remember the summer we hired GRob an SU buddy of mine lamenting it, saying we just gave a mediocre coach a golden parachute. I, of course, was drinking the Kool-Aid and was enamored with the Super Bowl rings that John Elway and Terrell Davis won. Needless to say, that night in a cold rain in East Hartford I realized how right my friend was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom