So basically barring grad transfers we have THREE scholarship guards on the roster | Syracusefan.com

So basically barring grad transfers we have THREE scholarship guards on the roster

Alsacs

Living Legend
That is unbelievable. JB should be getting hammered for this.

I can't stress how crazy this is. Our roster management is a mess. Yet we have people criticizing people who dare question this HC and GMac's management without Hop.

This time last year we had Frank Howard & Tyus Battle - not saying that was ideal either but I'll be concerned in November if this is still the case.

Although I am with you - I certainly think a better job could have been done to prevent this situation

I can't stress how crazy this is. Our roster management is a mess. Yet we have people criticizing people who dare question this HC and GMac's management without Hop.
You are 100% correct, but Hop was here for pretty much ALL of this rosters creation, so I would really say we could question everyone!

This time last year we had Frank Howard & Tyus Battle - not saying that was ideal either but I'll be concerned in November if this is still the case.

Although I am with you - I certainly think a better job could have been done to prevent this situation
And what happened last year with a white knuckle our way to the regular season with three guards. JB hasn't learned a lesson.

And what happened last year with a white knuckle our way to the regular season with three guards. JB hasn't learned a lesson.

Your criticism is fair. I just am not going to get beat up about our scholarship guards on April 21st.

Hmmm...we can't spank anymore, do you think we give him a time out?

I know it's awful and I think it's difficult for me to wholly comprehend how poorly managed things have been for our perimeter players. I actually think we've done a decent job in terms of stocking up on good, quality program forwards/bigs with upside. Perimeter wise this is ridiculous for a couple years now.

Yeah, and we ended up in the NIT.

It's a little unfathomable to think we were in this awful situation a year ago of only having those two on the roster and entered a recruiting cycle armed with opportunity to play early, plenty of local high caliber prospects and the knowledge of knowing we needed to address this situation badly and still are in the same spot 12 months later.

I know it's awful and I think it's difficult for me to wholly comprehend how poorly managed things have been for our perimeter players. I actually think we've done a decent job in terms of stocking up on good, quality program forwards/bigs with upside. Perimeter wise this is ridiculous for a couple years now.

Yeah, the guard management has been awful for 2-3 years straight now. Not sure we can point to last year as an example of everything turning out just fine when we ended up in the NIT.

And further, it's a little unfathomable to think we were in this awful situation a year ago of only having those two on the roster and entered a recruiting cycle armed with opportunity to play early, plenty of local high caliber prospects and the knowledge of knowing we needed to address this situation badly and still are in the same spot 12 months later.

Haha I mean you can bold whatever you like but I said it wasn't ideal and I'll be concerned if nothing changes for the upcoming season. Fake News! Sad!!!!

;)

You expected a lesson to be learned here? 6 months ago he was walking out the door in 18 months. Now he's stopgapping a long term solution. You thought he'd change recruiting strategies? Lol

You are 100% correct, but Hop was here for pretty much ALL of this rosters creation, so I would really say we could question everyone!
Let's not forget where the buck stops.

Haha I mean you can bold whatever you like but I said it wasn't ideal and I'll be concerned if nothing changes for the upcoming season. Fake News! Sad!!!!

;)

(Insert new White House team photo)

You're right - you did say it wasn't ideal so the bolding wasn't fair to your whole point.

I was thinking how a year ago we only had those two on the roster and things seemingly set up as well as we could ask to improve the situation and here we are in the same exact spot 12 months later.

4 is the standard. So we have 1 less than we 'should' while still under scholly restrictions and we could definitely add one.

Chill, Alsacs.

4 is the standard. So we have 1 less than we 'should' while still under scholly restrictions and we could definitely add one.

Chill, Alsacs.

Yea but in most years our third and fourth guards are big recruits waiting their turn. Triche,Dion, Scoop, Mcw etc...the third guard right now is a rail thin pg whose years away from being a main contributor

Dasher seemed to think the door might still be open for Ayala. I'm not happy with the roster construction but I'll wait and see who shows up in October before I start complaining.

Yea but in most years our third and fourth guards are big recruits waiting their turn. Triche,Dion, Scoop, Mcw etc...the third guard right now is a rail thin pg whose years away from being a main contributor

MCW didn't play practically at all as a frosh and wasn't Triche a 3 star?

I'm not saying the guard situation is good, but we're not in dire straits either. At worst, Frank is as bad at PG as the team was last season. At least he's an upperclassman, though, and I don't see him getting worse. Battle is going to be a beast. So, after their 65 minutes per game, we have to fill 15 minutes. Washington might be able to pick some of that up. And it's likely at this point that we'll grab one more guard.

So, yes, some chill is called for right now. We missed on a big guard recruit and it hurt us. Happens to everyone. We're not throwing walkons out on the court. These are still high level recruits.

MCW didn't play practically at all as a frosh and wasn't Triche a 3 star?

I'm not saying the guard situation is good, but we're not in dire straits either. At worst, Frank is as bad at PG as the team was last season. At least he's an upperclassman, though, and I don't see him getting worse. Battle is going to be a beast. So, after their 65 minutes per game, we have to fill 15 minutes. Washington might be able to pick some of that up. And it's likely at this point that we'll grab one more guard.

So, yes, some chill is called for right now. We missed on a big guard recruit and it hurt us. Happens to everyone. We're not throwing walkons out on the court. These are still high level recruits.
With Lydon and AW3 on the roster with Frank Howard starting at point guard we couldn't be the single power five or Big east team.
Frank Howard playing 30+ minutes a game and no decent backup equals awful basketball team.
We now need to grad transfers to be mediocre.

For a little perspective, Triche was ranked approximately where Howard Washington is ranked coming out of high school. In Triche's freshman season, we had an upperclassman SG move over to PG; a player who wasn't particularly outstanding in any of his 3 prior seasons with the team, Andy Rautins. We also had sophomore Scoop who was okay as a freshman and okay as a sophomore; nothing incredible.

I know that team was better at the other positions than we're going to be this year. Significantly better. But the guard situation seemed to work out just fine. Can Frank Howard be as good at PG as Andy was? Well, he can already pass and avoid turnovers as well as Andy did. He won't shoot like Andy did but he did show improvement last season in this regard. Will Battle be better than Triche was? Yes. Unequivocally, yes. That leaves Howard Washington. Can he score 5 or 6 points and add a few assists in limited PT? Maybe.

With Lydon and AW3 on the roster with Frank Howard starting at point guard we couldn't be the single power five or Big east team.
Frank Howard playing 30+ minutes a game and no decent backup equals awful basketball team.
We now need to grad transfers to be mediocre.

I think you're overreacting.

The staff doesn't realize this. They think we have 5 guards including Green and Ayala.

Expecting anything from Howard Washington beyond garbage time or cupcake play is not fair to that kid.

I like him as a 4 year rotation player. Not as a freshman contributor.

10 minutes.

I'm not going to go where you're going until we see how things work out with Ayala. Dasher's posts late yesterday provide some confidence, and is enough for me to wait and see.

BUT if we lose out on Ayala, I'm going to be pretty annoyed that we didn't bother trying to get in with Waters. Or Batts. Or any of the large number of quality guards that shook free this spring. It would be a sign that we tried the same strategy [i.e., putting all of our eggs in one basket, that the coaches believed was a shoo in but wasn't] twice and failed both times, but more importantly failed to learn from the first time things blew up in our face.

Should be an interesting two weeks, with both Ayala and Tucker allegedly deciding soon.