So basically barring grad transfers we have THREE scholarship guards on the roster | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

So basically barring grad transfers we have THREE scholarship guards on the roster

If that's how the rotation looks, with Tucker, and only hitting the low 60's, we aren't going to win more than 3-4 ACC games. Gonna need a whole lot more out of the forward trio to have any shot at postseason play. With a team that will likely struggle again on D, at least at times, with all the new faces, we have to be able to score.

It was an intentionally conservative projection. But why do you think the team will struggle on defense? Because of TT? Everyone else is solid.

If we don't get Ayala or Tucker, we might as well just commit to the full rebuild. Use the last three scholarships either on grad transfers or to reward walk ons. We don't have any seniors so everyone on our 2017-18 team will be back for the 2018-19 season barring any jumps to the NBA or any transfers.

By giving scholarships to players for one year (grad transfers or walk ons) we can "save" those scholarships for the 2018 class. Take the three available scholarships and save them for 2018, add that to our sanctions reducing by one, and a potential departure of one player (Tyus Battle seems pretty likely) and we can bring in a 5 player class in 2018. I'm much more excited by the possibility of adding a five-man class in 2018 where we seem to be in good standing with a few recruits rather than settling for a few 2017 recruits we normally wouldn't go after if we miss out on Ayala/Tucker.

It was an intentionally conservative projection. But why do you think the team will struggle on defense? Because of TT? Everyone else is solid.
Question was not directed at me, but here is my two cents on the defense. We will have very good athletes capable of playing excellent defense. However, I don't think that at least two of them, two very important ones at this point, have the commitment to defense to make this a good defensive team.

Why does anyone think we can sign 5 players for the class of 2018? We aren't leading with anyone for next year and there's not a point guard in sight.

That is unbelievable. JB should be getting hammered for this.

I can't stress how crazy this is. Our roster management is a mess. Yet we have people criticizing people who dare question this HC and GMac's management without Hop.
A-fan-holds-up-an-anti-Arsene-Wenger-sig.jpg

Question was not directed at me, but here is my two cents on the defense. We will have very good athletes capable of playing excellent defense. However, I don't think that at least two of them, two very important ones at this point, have the commitment to defense to make this a good defensive team.

So Frank and TT. Fair enough. I think Frank will be serviceable and hope TT will figure out how to play the wing in the zone. Brissett and Moyer will both be improvements over White. We'll have legitimate rim-protecting Centers finally. And I think Battle is an elite defender.

We'll be better than last year, but we'll have to see how the chemistry/effort is to determine the defense's ceiling I suppose.

So Frank and TT. Fair enough. I think Frank will be serviceable and hope TT will figure out how to play the wing in the zone. Brissett and Moyer will both be improvements over White. We'll have legitimate rim-protecting Centers finally. And I think Battle is an elite defender.

We'll be better than last year, but we'll have to see how the chemistry/effort is to determine the defense's ceiling I suppose.
I have those same hopes and will enter the season with optimism, as always, but it only takes one bad egg to kill chemistry. I am hoping that Battle and even Moyer are vocal leaders and that their attitude wins the locker room and everyone buys in.

Why does anyone think we can sign 5 players for the class of 2018? We aren't leading with anyone for next year and there's not a point guard in sight.

2018 doesn't look bad right now. It's still early. Ayala would count as a 'point guard in sight' if he doesn't reclassify.

2018 is a new class. Can't say just because we are struggling with this 2017 class that we therefore will struggle with the 2018 class. Our 2017 recruiting struggles were likely due to the uncertainty surrounding Boeheim. Now that he's extended for at least a few seasons, that should help our recruiting a bit. Plus, in a "down" year for recruiting, we still managed to bring in 3 players so far, with the potential for one or two more still if the staff can close. So getting another class with four or five players next year really isn't that far fetched... heck, Pitt's bringing in like 10 new players next year and their program is in shambles. Bringing in five players in 2018 over the next year really isn't that tall of an order.

Tottenham Would be Villanova. They're on an upswing and won a national title last year. Nova flamed out second round this year and Tottenham flamed out in the group stage of the Champions League.
I think the Spurs will catch Chelsea.

IF we miss on Ayala and/or Tucker, JB will bring in grad transfers he "thinks" can contribute. It seems unreasonable, to me anyway, to assume that there is no contingency plan in place waiting for however the cards will fall.

There has been a confluence of events (sanctions, Hop in waiting/Hop leaving, JB's retirement and unretirement, QG "miss," whatever happened with Randolph/Walker (huge loss), KJ miss, BJ's transfer, Ennis-McCullough-Richardson-Lydon) and not simply "crazy" mismanagement, that have contributed to where we are now. It is what it is, regardless.

The class of 2018 is THE class that will define how the Boeheim legacy ends. The 2018 recruiting class should be the focus of attention (or angst, if you prefer), IMO.

People need to stop rationalizing a team next year with Howard at the point.

It's not going to work.

We need to do better.
Is Duarte still a possibility?

People need to stop rationalizing a team next year with Howard at the point.

It's not going to work.

We need to do better.
Hence my post. I don't get people being homers on this.
Your being objective here.

I just want to know why this roster so late in the process is this questionable when it was going to be JBs farewell season if Hop didn't leave.

Because, other than Tyus, nobody has proven capable in the zone. Frank isn't good on D, TT was a mess this past year. I don't have much hope for Chukwu on either end, but he looks to be too slow and weak to anchor the zone. Moyer, Brissett, Sidibe, Washington will have never played a minute of college hoops prior to the opener, so I don't know how anybody can expect them to be solid until they prove it. We saw this past year how difficult it can be for new faces to gel in the zone.

2018 is a new class. Can't say just because we are struggling with this 2017 class that we therefore will struggle with the 2018 class. Our 2017 recruiting struggles were likely due to the uncertainty surrounding Boeheim. Now that he's extended for at least a few seasons, that should help our recruiting a bit. Plus, in a "down" year for recruiting, we still managed to bring in 3 players so far, with the potential for one or two more still if the staff can close. So getting another class with four or five players next year really isn't that far fetched... heck, Pitt's bringing in like 10 new players next year and their program is in shambles. Bringing in five players in 2018 over the next year really isn't that tall of an order.
Nothing about JB's extension is going to help recruiting. Opposing coaches will still push the idea that he isn't in it for the long haul, because he most likely isn't. Kids can't expect a currently 72 year old coach to be there in 4-5 years no matter what he says. They know he's almost to the end and if they don't, the other schools recruiting them will continue to make that quite apparent.

I know, just wondering if he was totally off the radar.

If we could get Ayala and Tucker why not take Duarte let him sit for a year getting everything in order. He's going to be a stud somewhere sometime down the line.

Nothing about JB's extension is going to help recruiting. Opposing coaches will still push the idea that he isn't in it for the long haul, because he most likely isn't. Kids can't expect a currently 72 year old coach to be there in 4-5 years no matter what he says. They know he's almost to the end and if they don't, the other schools recruiting them will continue to make that quite apparent.

I completely agree. It's not a good situation for us, but at the very least the ambiguity of when he will retire is better than having a retirement date set in stone. Other teams can continue to speculate on when JB will retire, but at least now they can't point to any particular date.

The Narrative™ is strong with this thread.
I want to win games. I don't care how we win. I think if people were objective they would admit JB has been a problem off the bench-in game stuff.

We haven't used all of our available scholarships but 1 time since 2013.

That is 3 of 4 seasons and the only season we did we had 10 players with 2 Grad seniors and first round pick who left early.

The blame isn't on Hopkins. Hopkins was inheriting this mess and said cya to a 6 year contract 3000 miles away.

JB is the top of the pyramid and the problems are on him.

We better kill it for 2018 recruiting as 2017-2018 roster looks like the worst roster barring Tucker and grad transfers.

I know we are pursuing one grad transfer I just hope we get him as he would help with some scoring.