So basically barring grad transfers we have THREE scholarship guards on the roster | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So basically barring grad transfers we have THREE scholarship guards on the roster

Please tell me how our current roster averages 60 PPG against P5 teams
Include Tucker if you want as well.

Battle - 17
TT - 15
Frank - 8
Brissett/Moyer/Tucker - 18
Sidibe/Chukwu - 4

Next question

10 minutes.

So 10min for HW which means FH is playing 30+ minutes. That is scary.
Battle - 17
TT - 15
Frank - 8
Brisset/Moyer/Tucker - 18
Sidibe/Chukwu - 4

Next question
I actually think that those Battle and Thompson numbers are pretty accurate. Its the rest of those guys we aren't sure about at this point. The less productive they are the more work and shots it will take TB and TT to get to those numbers.

That is unbelievable. JB should be getting hammered for this.

I can't stress how crazy this is. Our roster management is a mess. Yet we have people criticizing people who dare question this HC and GMac's management without Hop.
I agree with you 100 percent. I didn't see this thread and posted something similar in the Ayala thread. We all love Syracuse here, but we have to be objective too.

Expecting anything from Howard Washington beyond garbage time or cupcake play is not fair to that kid.

I like him as a 4 year rotation player. Not as a freshman contributor.

I think that remains to be seen.

Howard (Frank type) has some nice skills, but definitely is weak mentally in terms of not being able to eliminate mistakes and TOs from his game, not to mention disposition.

Howard (Washington type) may not as a freshman have elite skills, but if he can be strong mentally, play within himself, not try to do too much, and just be a steadying influence he may well surprise.

I will withhold any opinions on this until he actually hits the court.

I agree with you 100 percent. I didn't see this thread and posted something similar in the Ayala thread. We all love Syracuse here, but we have to be objective too.

It took the staff a couple years to recover from the Kaleb Joseph miss. KJ was a Hopkins kid. That's at least mostly Hopkins' fault.

So if anybody wants to criticize the backcourt roster management after Kaleb Joseph showed up on campus, then look at Hop as much as anybody else. We have to be objective but we don't have to be pessimistic. Nobody is claiming this team is going to be great. They'll be overachievers if they get to 20 wins.

I'm not going to go where you're going until we see how things work out with Ayala. Dasher's posts late yesterday provide some confidence, and is enough for me to wait and see.

BUT if we lose out on Ayala, I'm going to be pretty annoyed that we didn't bother trying to get in with Waters. Or Batts. Or any of the large number of quality guards that shook free this spring. It would be a sign that we tried the same strategy [i.e., putting all of our eggs in one basket, that the coaches believed was a shoo in but wasn't] twice and failed both times, but more importantly failed to learn from the first time things blew up in our face.

Should be an interesting two weeks, with both Ayala and Tucker allegedly deciding soon.
I trust and love Dasher's inside knowledge but that kid would look real weird flip flopping one day after Zags reports he isn't reclassifying.

I don't think Zags hates our program so he wouldn't do that.

Ayala IMO is gone for next year. We are now going after grad transfer PGs now I believe.

It took the staff a couple years to recover from the Kaleb Joseph miss. KJ was a Hopkins kid. That's at least mostly Hopkins' fault.

So if anybody wants to criticize the backcourt roster management after Kaleb Joseph showed up on campus, then look at Hop as much as anybody else. We have to be objective but we don't have to be pessimistic. Nobody is claiming this team is going to be great. They'll be overachievers if they get to 20 wins.
Lol blame Hop okay. He was only doing all the administrative work and our best recruiter. He was the guy who handled Quade Green as well right.

This stuff is on JB.

Lol blame Hop okay. He was only doing all the administrative work and our best recruiter. He was the guy who handled Quade Green as well right.

This stuff is on JB.

That's convenient. So Hop was in charge of recruiting, blows it on at least one bad recruit which caused the program to scramble and he gets none of the blame.

Oh, that's because JB was just chilling on his couch picking his nose, right?

I didn't major in math but even if you give Sidibe and Chukwu 4 points each that adds up
17 + 15= 32
32 + 18 = 50
50 + 8 58

That doesn't add up to 60.
Next question though.

You definitely didn't major in math. That's 62, sir

Battle - 17
TT - 15
Frank - 8
Sidibe/Chukwu - 4

Next question
This is 62 points. That isn't going to win you a lot of games in the ACC. Get the 70.

The more I look at the guard situation the more I think that JB has gone all in with Frank Howard, AND feels really really comfortable in that decision. In looking at the tea leaves:
  • We lost out on Quade a while back and we had a long break (didn't even try and get involved with anyone else) and instead signed Howard Washington who is perceived to be a roll player project type and not a top 100 level player, someone who would back up FH not challenge his starting job
  • Numerous high level PG became available after decommiting from their schools and we decided not to get involved with any of them in any serious manner. Instead were happy with the back up PG prospect.
  • We are recruiting Ayala who is a Combo guard, again no threat to take FH's starting position and only spell him when absolutely necessary, and when Battle doesn't need a break.
So I guess what it comes down to is how much do you trust JB and his evaluations of the guard position. On the positive side he's been doing this a while (understatement) so you would hope he knows what FH has to offer. But on the negative side we have huge risks if an injury at the 1 or 2 position occur and we lost out on a number of recruits during this cycle so maybe he just isn't getting the talent he is use to having. Im not a huge JB supporter, but I trust his judgment in this area and on FH and what he can do at the point as far as production is concerned. Im hoping this is a classic case of "buy low sell high" and focus on the 2018 pg class.

That's convenient. So Hop was in charge of recruiting, blows it on at least one bad recruit which caused the program to scramble and he gets none of the blame.

Oh, that's because JB was just chilling on his couch picking his nose, right?
This is amazing spin. I mean this such a joke spin. JB should hire you to be spokesman.
Who was the HC. Hop wasn't in charge. He wanted to add a player JB didn't want.

This is on JB not Hop.

We're gonna win every game 59 to 58 or 61 to 57.
Our offensive potential is pathetic right now.
Wow you got to 62 points you proved me wrong I was wrong. But you're not gonna win games by scoring in the low 60s or the high 50s.

This stuff is on JB.
I'm not saying that Trump has anything to do with it, but Obama was the 44th president, and Biden went to Syracuse, and Trump hates them both and I am sure he understands the importance of the number 44 to Syracuse University. Would it be out of character for Trump to sabotage our recruiting?

We are now going after grad transfer PGs now I believe.

At this point if that's what we have to do then do it because we have to have another option at PG other than Frank. The frustrating thing is that we have had months to figure this out since Green announced for UK. Yet we are waiting and hoping for another kid to reclassify at the 9th hour to fill the spot.

I'm not saying that Trump has anything to do with it, but Obama was the 44th president, and Biden went to Syracuse, and Trump hates them both and I am sure he understands the importance of the number 44 to Syracuse University. Would it be out of character for Trump to sabotage our recruiting?
Good one Trump is more to blame than JB of course.

I trust and love Dasher's inside knowledge but that kid would look real weird flip flopping one day after Zags reports he isn't reclassifying.

You think Zagoria was the first reporter to ask Ayala that question?

This time last year we had Frank Howard & Tyus Battle - not saying that was ideal either but I'll be concerned in November if this is still the case.

Although I am with you - I certainly think a better job could have been done to prevent this situation
Thing is, JB saw first hand how lucky we got being able to land a couple of perimeter grad transfers last spring/summer. Yet, we are in the exact same predicament, only with less talent on the roster. That's what the problem is, having done little to remedy the issues we had last time around. It's pretty crazy.

Hopefully Ayala was messing with Zag.

Ayala IMO is gone for next year. We are now going after grad transfer PGs now I believe.

That's fair, but I just want to point out that it IS only your opinion.

Battle - 17
TT - 15
Frank - 8
Sidibe/Chukwu - 4

Next question
If that's how the rotation looks, with Tucker, and only hitting the low 60's, we aren't going to win more than 3-4 ACC games. Gonna need a whole lot more out of the forward trio to have any shot at postseason play. With a team that will likely struggle again on D, at least at times, with all the new faces, we have to be able to score.

This is 62 points. That isn't going to win you a lot of games in the ACC. Get the 70.

I'll get to 70 and provide the logic behind each number. How bout that?

Battle - 17. This is a modest increase over the pace he was on last season and puts him near Gbinije territory, which is a fair comparison.

TT - 15. CJ Fair put up 15 as a junior on a team with more offensive weapons. This is conservative given his per 40 average of 20ppg last year.

Brissett/Moyer - 18. I'd consider Joseph and Roberson to be slightly imperfect comparisons for these two, in that they're 6'8" dudes who couldn't or can't shoot coming in. KJo and Robey both got to hang out on the bench for a year, but their combined sophomore averages would be 19ppg in roughly the same number of minutes we'd expect Moyer and Brissett to play. I think Brissett and Moyer are both clearly more offensively polished than Roberson was, and closer to KJo in the other areas.

*Tucker + B&M - 22. Tucker would come in and average 11 or 12 per game straight away.

Frank - 10. His per 40 average was 11 last season with competition at his position. Without the competition, his usage is going to go up a lot and it's unlikely he'll get worse. Just doubling his minutes from last year would already get him to 9.

Washington - 4. The kid is a 3 point shooter who's looking at at least 10mpg if we don't land another guard (we probably will land one). That's 1 three and a foul shot. I'm not exactly reaching for the stars with this one.

Sidibe/Chukwu - 6. In 16 minutes of action, Keita averaged 2.2 points just by being on the court with hands that worked only part of the time. Assuming these two will combine for most of the minutes at Center, Chukwu will get 2 automatically and Sidibe could get 4 with a little effort. We already know Sidibe is more polished offensively than Keita was.

Not counting Tucker: 70
Counting Tucker: 74