So do you find yourself rooting for the underdog? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So do you find yourself rooting for the underdog?

I root for what is good for SU first, me being right on my bracket second, and upsets third.

I do not want SU to face FSU, so Im rooting hard for anyone to beat them pre-sweet 16.

Every ACC win in the tourney is more $$ for Syracuse.
The better the ACC brands are, the more $ for the ACC Network = more $ for Syracuse.
The better the ACC brands are, the bigger are are our games with them = more fun.

Never cheer for duke or try to find a way to rationalize it.

Maybe this belongs in the H0t takes thread, but I don't care about the rest of the tournament at all. Just our games.

Fight me.

I was trying to recall how the ACC distributes revenue from the NCAA as a result of the tournament. I believe (but have no basis for the belief) that it is similar to how bowl revenues are distributed. Each school gets a percentage and the school that actually played in the game gets a little extra to cover expenses. As the conference share of the NCAA revenue increases based on how far into the tournament each of its schools play, there is a monetary benefit to SU. So as you point out, each ACC win means more money to be distributed to all of the conference schools.
Economics of the 2019 NCAA Tournament

I root for what is good for SU first, me being right on my bracket second, and upsets third.

I do not want SU to face FSU, so Im rooting hard for anyone to beat them pre-sweet 16.
I will root for Murray State/Marquette to beat them.
I hate everything about the Vermont program because of Tom Brennan.

Because we want to be in the best conference in the country, and when we beat a top tier ACC team, it really means something. ACC won’t be top tier unless they win a lot of games; ergo, I root for them to win.

I wish we were back in the Big East but I have to live in the new reality.

Huh, The ACC has 3 of the 4 #1 seeds. There isn't ever even a debate about what conference is best. It is by far in our best interest for any or all of Duke, UNC, UVA to have the least amount of success in the immediate future as possible. They have established themselves as clearly superior to us and their success just adds to them recruiting at the highest level and us not being a part of that crew.

Huh, The ACC has 3 of the 4 #1 seeds. There isn't ever even a debate about what conference is best. It is by far in our best interest for any or all of Duke, UNC, UVA to have the least amount of success in the immediate future as possible. They have established themselves as clearly superior to us and their success just adds to them recruiting at the highest level and us not being a part of that crew.
You make a fair point.

The ultimate Catch-22 of the NCAA Tournament... it's so much fun to see upsets in the early rounds, but I want to see elite teams squaring off in the Final Four.

The ultimate Catch-22 of the NCAA Tournament... it's so much fun to see upsets in the early rounds, but I want to see elite teams squaring off in the Final Four.

If Syracuse or Wisconsin cannot win it all, I would rather see a Cinderella win. I have been lucky enough to attend a few Final Fours in person. The 2010 NC game between Butler and Duke was amazing. Of course, a small Indianapolis school playing against Duke in its hometown certainly helped the atmosphere at the game. But I find if a Cinderella team makes a run, it usually requires a combination of upper classmen and good/disciplined fundamental play, which I enjoy.

If Syracuse or Wisconsin cannot win it all, I would rather see a Cinderella win. I have been lucky enough to attend a few Final Fours in person. The 2010 NC game between Butler and Duke was amazing. Of course, a small Indianapolis school playing against Duke in its hometown certainly helped the atmosphere at the game. But I find if a Cinderella team makes a run, it usually requires a combination of upper classmen and good/disciplined fundamental play, which I enjoy.
Tell me about your connection to Wisconsin. I graduated from there in 72.

I'm a sucker for underdogs (unless they're playing SU). This is my guy ...

underdog.jpg

If you aren’t rooting for ACC teams, you’re rooting against SU.

$$$$$$$

If you aren’t rooting for ACC teams, you’re rooting against SU.

$$$$$$$

I wouldn't root for UNC if you promised me Kate Hudson.

As long as we aren't playing one, then YES. If it's a huge upset, then everyone probably picked wrong. Isn't rooting for the underdog part of the enjoyment of the first weekend? It is for me!

If you're rooting for ACC teams don't be surprised when they continue to get better recruits than us.

If you're rooting for ACC teams don't be surprised when they continue to get better recruits than us.

And without money you can’t recruit as well.

I'll just say that I was quietly happy when Michigan State made more baskets than Bradley.

They will win if I'm rooting for them?

Any chance this magic applies to horses?