So how are we interpreting our 300+ yarfs rushing? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So how are we interpreting our 300+ yarfs rushing?

I am just finishing up the first half right now on the rewatch, and as others have pointed out the idea that the majority of Dungey’s rushing yards were a consequence of scrambling is plainly incorrect. He had 2-3 scrambles and the rest were designed runs (Including literally all of the big play runs). We demonstrated an effective, sustainable rushing attack on Friday. We had 229 first half Rush Yards on 29 carries. That’s 7.9 per carry! The idea that the running game was anything but effective is ridiculous.

The bigger point is that if running Dungey on 70 % of your plays is the recipe for a W this year, I'm afraid we'll be without our main ingredient by game 3. Heck, he was gimpy after game 1. We need reliable options other than Dungey running.

That's Dungey's call. If you remove that play, you remove an essential part of the RPO.

Dungey broke the ACC record for rushing yards in a game for QB

Isn't it funny that when Jackson ran for 175 yards against us, including a leap over a safety, fans and the media were fawning all over him. Very few were concerned about his health or not getting the ball to his RBs. Mind you, most of his runs were not designed. Now Dungey breaks the ACC record using designed plays and the sky has fallen.

Isn't it funny that when Jackson ran for 175 yards against us, including a leap over a safety, fans and the media were fawning all over him. Very few were concerned about his health or not getting the ball to his RBs. Mind you, most of his runs were not designed. Now Dungey breaks the ACC record using designed plays and the sky has fallen.
To me it just showed we have Dungey, and not much else. How do we win 6 considering Dungey likely won't play in all of the games. It's not IF he gets hurt, it's WHEN. What do we do when we lose our only real weapon? If he didn't have his injury issues, and has shown himself to be durable enough to play this style and not miss time, I could not care less that he is our entire offense. Beggars can't be choosers at this point, so I'll take a win however we can get it, but the fact he will be unavailable at some point is a foregone conclusion to me.
Again, I understand RPO, but once ACC defenses plan on giving Dungey the lions share of the attention, and they will, he's not single handedly going to will us to a win.

When Dungey’s in, him/moe/dontae pick up significant yard’age at will. Our creativity and explosiveness was great. When dungey went out we lost that third ground threat. Our o line was very mediocre throughout the game imo.

It’s crazy that this even has to be said, does nobody on this board know what the option is??

If the defense reacts differently, then possible Dungey gives the ball to the RB and we're not having this discussion. Dungey took what the defense was giving.

Dungey broke the ACC record for rushing yards in a game for QB
He broke the SU QB rushing record. Lamar Jackson has a 226 yard game under his belt for the ACC record.

Last edited:
Nothing to sneeze at.

The line did its job in creating holes and getting to the second level especially in the red zone. Those drives end in 3 instead of 7 last season. Western Michigan is a solid mid major program. Syracuse didn't do this against Abilene Christian.

I agree. Time to replace Riley. 3 years and he has done nothing from scrimmage and the return game. The only thing he has done is drop the game winning score in the LSU game.

He’s very good on KO returns. But as a WR, he’s a backup imo

To me it just showed we have Dungey, and not much else. How do we win 6 considering Dungey likely won't play in all of the games. It's not IF he gets hurt, it's WHEN. What do we do when we lose our only real weapon? If he didn't have his injury issues, and has shown himself to be durable enough to play this style and not miss time, I could not care less that he is our entire offense. Beggars can't be choosers at this point, so I'll take a win however we can get it, but the fact he will be unavailable at some point is a foregone conclusion to me.
Again, I understand RPO, but once ACC defenses plan on giving Dungey the lions share of the attention, and they will, he's not single handedly going to will us to a win.

If he runs for 20+ yards on an RPO consistently, we’d be absolutely silly to not run that play. ACC play or not.

If he runs for 20+ yards on an RPO consistently, we’d be absolutely silly to not run that play. ACC play or not.
Yes, we'd be silly to stop. Agree. My concern is, if we're so dependent on Dungey's legs, what do we do when his legs are sidelined? Where are those yards now coming from? Who is going to keep the chains moving? I'm not saying someone can't, or won't emerge as tht guy, but nothing we saw on Friday would suggest that someone on this roster can keep the train rolling without ED.

Yes, we'd be silly to stop. Agree. My concern is, if we're so dependent on Dungey's legs, what do we do when his legs are sidelined? Where are those yards now coming from? Who is going to keep the chains moving? I'm not saying someone can't, or won't emerge as tht guy, but nothing we saw on Friday would suggest that someone on this roster can keep the train rolling without ED.

1. He’s never been hurt on designed runs (that I can remember). When you’re running like a running back, built like a running back - it’s ok to run him like a running back IMO.

2. I think we ran some very vanilla stuff. We didn’t pass like we normally do, probably because we feel our OL is a streangth finally Babers’ O has always been about running the ball and we finally can.

3. I think we’ll see a more varied offense against FSU - as we won’t have as many advantages all over and they’ll be keying on a QB that can run for 200 in a game.

4. DeVito will gave growing pains - but don’t mistake him for Mahoney or Rex. And we’ll get a bead on the young WR this week.

The danger is taking too much from this last game and forgetting what we already know about Babers.

The D is another matter

Good point ... in other words, ED can run RPO effectively but if we live on that we do so at our peril. This reinforces the point I've been making for a while now - offensive diversity. Yes we were deliberately vanilla against WMU - per Cusian's point above. But we still desperately need the two other phases to start functioning at a higher level. Against WMU there were signs of hope ... Custis and Moe Neal both looked pretty good.

Last edited:
Good point ... in other words, yes ED can run RPO effectively but if we live on that, we do so are our peril towards the end of the season. This reinforces the point I've been making for a while now - offensive diversity. Yes we were deliberately vanilla against WMU - per Cusian's point above. But we still desperately need the two other phases to start functioning at a higher level. Against WMU there were signs of hope ... Custis and Moe Neal both looked pretty good.

FSU will be favored, but win or lose - we’ll know more after that game. I mean if anyone thinks “Babers scrapped his entire O just to run Dungey up the middle” I got a bridge and all that

1. He’s never been hurt on designed runs (that I can remember). When you’re running like a running back, built like a running back - it’s ok to run him like a running back IMO.

2. I think we ran some very vanilla stuff. We didn’t pass like we normally do, probably because we feel our OL is a streangth finally Babers’ O has always been about running the ball and we finally can.

3. I think we’ll see a more varied offense against FSU - as we won’t have as many advantages all over and they’ll be keying on a QB that can run for 200 in a game.

4. DeVito will gave growing pains - but don’t mistake him for Mahoney or Rex. And we’ll get a bead on the young WR this week.

The danger is taking too much from this last game and forgetting what we already know about Babers.

The D is another matter
Believe me, I'm high on TD. I don't think his performance was nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be. His performance needs to be looked at with context. I accept the growing pains. It's a double edged sword right now, in the sense that on one hand, Tommy needs reps in live game action. He will be called upon to play for an injured Dungey at some point this year. Hopefully after we win 6 games. On the other hand, other than WMU, and Wagner, where will he get enough quality reps to prepare him?

"Essentially, we, (and other teams I've watched play today), do have two running backs in the backfield: the one designated as a running back and the quarterback. "
Floyd Little and big Jim Nance. Floyd Little and Larry Czonka. My era.

Believe me, I'm high on TD. I don't think his performance was nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be. His performance needs to be looked at with context. I accept the growing pains. It's a double edged sword right now, in the sense that on one hand, Tommy needs reps in live game action. He will be called upon to play for an injured Dungey at some point this year. Hopefully after we win 6 games. On the other hand, other than WMU, and Wagner, where will he get enough quality reps to prepare him?

I hear you. My point was - Dungey is going to reel off 20+ yd runs you run him. If he gets hurt, DeVito is the best option we’ve had back there even with a learning curve.

Floyd Little and big Jim Nance. Floyd Little and Larry Czonka. My era.

Mine, too.

1536033670876.png

I interpret it as either:
a) out of a playbook that totals 16 plays, we ran exactly 3 the entire game. 2 of them are run plays (qb run, rb run), 1 is a pass play.

or

b) we are a 1 trick pony this year.

B
I interpret it as either:
a) out of a playbook that totals 16 plays, we ran exactly 3 the entire game. 2 of them are run plays (qb run, rb run), 1 is a pass play.

or

b) we are a 1 trick pony this year.
Big props for actually answering the question in my post's subject line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom